MEM_ERR03 When trying to update......

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I've been trying to update to Version 3 now that it's been released. I've followed the instructions on the Ford website, but when I plug in the USB stick, I get a "Software Update in Progress" message for several minutes, followed by an "update failed" message with the error code MEM_ERR03. I've tried several attempts, with and without doing a Master Reset, and trying both USB ports.

'16 Mustang PP, non-nav
64GB Sandisk Thumb Drive formatted to EXFAT
Files downloaded from Ford on a Mac, expanded the .zip file with "Stuffit Expander" per the Ford instructions, and transferred to the thumbdrive per the Ford instructions.

(I'd previously updated from version 1.0 to 2.2 last summer with no problem using the same equipment)

Any ideas before I call the 800 number?? Thanks.
Sponsored

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
are you this guy?....sync3 updates arent mac compatible..use windows pc..everything else seems to done right
Rob_Schneider_t1024.jpg

OP
OP
Rod Schneider

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
When I updated from 1.0 to 2.2 I used my Mac with no issues. That said, I just tried it using a PC (Windows 7) and got the exact same error message..........

(The angry face is not directed to anyone except Ford.....)

OP
OP
Rod Schneider

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Anyone else had this????????

rwyatt85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You aren't alone. My '16 Non-Nav throws the same error going from the 2.2 release (official) to 3.0. I used a 64 GB USB drive formatted ExFAT.

My best guess at the moment is that someone will come along and suggest a 2-part install process similar to the fix posted on the F150 forum for restoring the Gracenote library on 2.2. Ford hopefully will acknowledge the issue, but my money is on the community hack-fixing it first.

Sponsored

ahornsfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Eco Boost Premium
I'm having EXACT same issue with my 2016 non-nav. It sounds like the problem is our non-nav units don't have enough RAM space with all the different version of voice recognition. I'm just going to try to stay a little patient and see what solution the tech guys come up with. Ugh.

antny825

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
same for me, very disappointing.Hopefully there will be a fix for the non nav units.

ahornsfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey all. My Sync 3 had not been working at all and even the new update would not install. Go to this thread and start following the instructions around post #200 to #300 from a guy named aCool. His items worked for me!

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/sync-3-technical-discussion-399837/index7/

You will need to download bother the Nav and Non-Nav version of 3.0. When he says to use file ending SB, just use the fiile SC from the Non-nav version.

Last edited:

Bubbadini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium 3.55 6MT
I used Acool's instructions on F150 forum. A big thanks goes out to Acool. Thanks ahornsfan for directing attention to F150 forums. The link didn't work for me, by the way. So I had to dig around.

Here is Acool's write up. Skip below for steps I took.
"Ok so it worked ... I think this is the definitive way to overcome the wretched and notorious

MEM_ERR03 issue. I update the original post with more detailed instructions. But basically, if

you're on 2.2 for example, and can't install the whole 2.3 oem update without getting

MEM_ERR03, just install the voice.img file from the NAV 2.2 update. It's smaller for whatever

reason. Voice won't work, but, you'll free up enough space to install 2.3 without error and

then you'll have the proper 2.3 non nav voice package!!

Here's the install I used successfully while on 2.2, installing 2.2 Nav's voice file:
Code:

; Nav to the rescue of Non-Nav - Install this first to resolve MEM_ERR03

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = HN1T-14G391-CC
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HN1T-14G391-CC.tar.gz
Options = Delay,AutoInstall

It's crucial you reboot after doing this or you'll have way too much space used up."

Here are the steps I took this afternoon.

1. Download NAV 2.2 software from #2547 (page 170 on my laptop screen) from "NEW SYNC 3 v3.0 Build 18025 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay" discussion thread on this forum.
A. Alternative - You can download and extract prepackage 3.0 NAV version from post #18 on this thread made by Spart and skip to step 5.

2. Extract the software.

3. Delete all but HN1T-14G391-CC.tar.gz file in SyncMyRide folder

4. Edit and save the autoinstall.lst file using notepad or other text editor with below-

; Nav to the rescue of Non-Nav - Install this first to resolve MEM_ERR03

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = HN1T-14G391-CC

5. Copy the autoinstall.lst and SycMyRider folder into your USB stick. I used 16GB FAT32 formatted one, by the way.

6. Start your car and plug in your USB stick in your car.

7. Let it go through updating system process. It took about 5 minutes for me.

8. You'll get a message that it completed.

9. Turn off car and wait few minutes.

10. Restart car.

11. You'll get down arrow symbol on screen at top right that shows update completed when you click it.

12. Reboot Sync system pressing both Power button and >> fast forward button.

13. Sync will reboot.

14. After Sync is up and running again, run Master Reset in Settings (This may not be necessary, but I did it anyway).

15. After reboot completes. Turn off car

16. Reformat USB stick and copy Sync version 2.3 non-nav or 3.0 non-nav update software. (I used version 3.0 non-nav and skipped 2.3 non-nav entirely).

17. Turn on car.

18. I turned off WiFi Sync Settings screen (This may not be necessary, but I did it anyway).

19. Plug in USB stick.

20. Wait as it updates system (Mine took about 15 minutes).

21. It'll say update complete with a message popup. I pressed Close. Wait and Sync will reboot automatically. Do not unplug USB stick.

22. Sync will run like normal, but wait. It took another about 5 minutes after the Sync rebooted that the update system message came up again.

23. This time it took about 3-5 minutes to complete.

24. I got update completed message and it said that it won't take effect until restarting car.

25. Turn off car. Restart after at later time. I restarted my car 20 minutes later.

26. You'll get update completed arrow symbol again.

27. For some reason, Android Auto icon wasn't available after update to version 3.0, but once I connected my phone to USB port, it showed up.

Some notes and background info-
A. I updated with Ford official Sync version 1.0 to 2.2 April 2017. No error messages.
B. When I tried to update to official version 2.3 is when I started getting MEM_ERR03.
C. I tried to update to official version 3.0, but still had MEM_ERR03.
D. When I checked software version the other day on my version 2.2, my Gracenote version number was missing. I know I had it after version 2.2 update because I posted completed screen shot in the discussions. I do not know when it went away. After this update, Gracenote version number is back.
MVIMG_20180328_133335.jpg

Last edited:

ahornsfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Glad to hear it work. I updated the link.

Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I just want to point something out to anyone that may be trying this:

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = HN1T-14G391-CC
"14G391" is the key part of the file name here. Ignore the other two bits.

I actually used the file from the 3.0 nav update, and the filename in there was JR3T-14G391-CD.tar.gz.

Obviously you adjust the autoinstall.lst as necessary to match the file name that you have.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
are you this guy?....sync3 updates arent mac compatible..use windows pc..everything else seems to done right
I assume you were making a joke of some sort.

Sync3 Updates are indeed MacOS compatible, and does work fine.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
This is my hell too.
Would LOVE to know wtf Ford included wifi in the sync 3 if it CANT use it!
I spend a week at a time at work, and the work computers are locked down ( no usb for you!), but will try this when I get home.

Friggin stupid, it really is. Ford needs to step up their game.

PS: Has anyone called the number on the error message to see what Ford says about it?

EDIT 2: Is this ONLY an issue for those of us that did the 2.2 upgrade first? If I did not up date it it to 2.2, I wouldn’t have this issue?

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
That's no longer the case. They give instructions for both MAC and PC. They even give the recommended unzip app for MAC. I used MAC for 3.0 and had no problems.
Sponsored