Sponsored

Many wheel weights on Velgen VF5 normal?

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
I just had my new Michelin PS4s fitted on a set of new Velgen VF5's, neither of these are budget options and yet I was kinda surprised they used over 20 wheel weights on each wheel, 5g weights. Doesn't look particularly great. I noticed the stock wheels had much less but those also had weight clips on the inside of the wheel, hidden from view.

I this an excessive amount on a wheel/tire combination of this quality or does quality not have to do anything with it?
Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I got a package set from LMR and mine do have some weights but not an excessive amount. They put the Nitto 555 G2's on mine. Not my first choice of tire however. Wish I had just got the wheels and bought tires locally but the package was a nice way to get the wheels and installed quickly.
IMG_0792.jpeg

Joshinator99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2017 Camaro 2SS
I just had my new Michelin PS4s fitted on a set of new Velgen VF5's, neither of these are budget options and yet I was kinda surprised they used over 20 wheel weights on each wheel, 5g weights. Doesn't look particularly great. I noticed the stock wheels had much less but those also had weight clips on the inside of the wheel, hidden from view.

I this an excessive amount on a wheel/tire combination of this quality or does quality not have to do anything with it?
Tire mounted correctly? The sidewalls have colored dots so that the installers know how to properly orient it on the wheel vs the TPMS (since it affects the balance).

OP
OP
Double

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Tire mounted correctly? The sidewalls have colored dots so that the installers know how to properly orient it on the wheel vs the TPMS (since it affects the balance).
Is that really a thing? I read conflicting things about this being a fairytail and simply a QA indication. But will check to be sure.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Black weights exist and weights heavier than 1/4 oz exist. I’ve seen 13 to 16 weights from time to time. I don’t like it, but if it works it works.

Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
That is definitely on the high side of weights on a wheel. I'm not sure where you had them installed but I would have another shop double check that the tires were installed properly. If they were I would all Velgen and ask them for assistance :like:

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
When I was mounting an balancing, I when I had a wheel tire co.bo like that I would rotate the tire on the wheel a couple times to find the best natural balance, then add the lowest amount of weights. Not as common now since techs are paid by the job.

Scuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Heavy side of tires is usually marked with a colored dot, but wheels for the most part are not (is my understanding). It may be a bad coincidence of having the heavy side of the tire mounted on the heavy side of the wheel. Most shops mount the dot opposite the valve and expect that to be good.

I have personal experience with this- I bought a set of AMR Drift wheels/Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's and took them to my local trusted shop to mound and balance them. They said they would be done by early afternoon and would call me when they were ready to pick up.

When I didn't hear from them by 5pm I called- they said they were going to dismount and clock the tires because the first mount attempt needed too much weight to balance. While I was disappointed I had to wait another day to get them, I appreciated the shop's conscientious handling of my new tire/wheel package.

OP
OP
Double

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have yet to find any kind of colored dots on my tires, Michelin PS4s. All wheels have 20 or more weights. Wheel in the picture below has 25, 7 on the inner wheel, 2 in the outer wheel (hidden on the picture) and the remaining on the outer wheel.

Total of 125g on this rear wheel, 20" Velgen VF5s

thumbnail_IMG_6551.jpg

Sponsored

Scuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

mcky2011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
If they balance high they should have broken the bead and rotated the tire a 1/4 turn until the weight comes down.

Some balancers detect the high spot and tell the operator how much to rotate the tire for optimal balance.

Significant weight is lazy at best, incompetence is more likely. Take them to another shop.

JLTH2183

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
I have yet to find any kind of colored dots on my tires, Michelin PS4s. All wheels have 20 or more weights. Wheel in the picture below has 25, 7 on the inner wheel, 2 in the outer wheel (hidden on the picture) and the remaining on the outer wheel.

Total of 125g on this rear wheel, 20" Velgen VF5s

thumbnail_IMG_6551.jpg
I work on cars for a living and in 18 years of turning wrenches I've never had to put anywhere near 125grams of weight on a new tire and a new rim. (Unless there like 37s on a Jeep) What are the last 4 digits of the DOT #s on your tires? I suspect high road force on your tires. I just mounted new 6GR 19x10 up front and 19x 11 at the rear on my car. I reused the front tires and the driver left front wheel didn't even need any wheel weights ( happens 1 in 100 tires if your lucky lol)

20230714_190211.jpg

20230714_190125.jpg

OP
OP
Double

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
DOT (1F3)L3 (01LX)(4522)