Sponsored

Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

Jewishthunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Magnetic GTPP
Any increase in other NVH?
There is a slight increase of what I would call ambient noise. Not like a squeeking, or clunking. When you're on a hard road, harsh condition, it's reflected a bit more in the cabin. I'd say if I had to rate the increase in comparison to other cars I've done these sorts of upgrades, I'd rate it a 2/10 increase. It's really minimal but it's there.

That's good to hear. Are these was simple to install as they look? Does the weight of the car need to be off the suspension or can it be left on the ground?
I did it on a lift, with the subframe let down a bit. You have to drop it down a little to get the fronts out/in. The rear mounts are a breeze. Whole thing took us about an hour.

You'd probably fight quite a bit to make it work on the ground. Edit: (I don't know that it would even be possible actually)
Sponsored

Last edited:

rsmustangjr16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Performance Pack
Thanks for the update. I'll have to see what I can do about getting some of these installed using a lift. I just looked at the instructions and it seems like this would be a pain on the ground.

Jewishthunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Magnetic GTPP
Thanks for the update. I'll have to see what I can do about getting some of these installed using a lift. I just looked at the instructions and it seems like this would be a pain on the ground.
The part is $50 bucks, I'd for sure pay the extra hour or so of labor time needed to do it on a lift.

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
There is a slight increase of what I would call ambient noise. Not like a squeeking, or clunking. When you're on a hard road, harsh condition, it's reflected a bit more in the cabin. I'd say if I had to rate the increase in comparison to other cars I've done these sorts of upgrades, I'd rate it a 2/10 increase. It's really minimal but it's there.
But would you say totally worth it to get rid of the THUD? I may try the Steeda kit first but I'd be willing to give up quite a bit of quietness on a harsh road to get rid of that damn sound.

Jewishthunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Magnetic GTPP
But would you say totally worth it to get rid of the THUD? I may try the Steeda kit first but I'd be willing to give up quite a bit of quietness on a harsh road to get rid of that damn sound.
100%. If someone could magically remove the part with zero work or cost, I wouldn't.

No reason to try both. Go right once.

Sponsored

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
100%. If someone could magically remove the part with zero work or cost, I wouldn't.

No reason to try both. Go right once.
OK, I'm going with the BMR kit. If this works, I'm gonna shout it from the mountain!

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Great find, I hope it works out for you guys. Please keep everyone updated. This thread is ridiculously long, and it's nice to finally see an interesting development.

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Confused of you guys are talking about the vertical links above ? I have the vertical links and more stuff going on soon but I have a hard time seeing how they can make that noise idling at a stop and recreating that noise.

Not saying impossible and trying to picture what is happening .. pushing the car into gear from a stop holding the clutch down and the momentum from the input shaft does carry through the shaft to the synchros through to the output shaft.. Through the driveshaft to the diff and out to the axles and tries to rotate the stopped wheels.. It's not much momentum id imagine but possibly enough to cause the force to reach the links which.. I honestly haven't even looked in depth at the rear suspension enough to try and understand how it works and what the links do. Just thinking and typing here but I guess it does seem possible ? I know in the bmr videos on YouTube I've watched there's a hell of a lot of movement in the suspension in stock form.

Sponsored

Jewishthunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Magnetic GTPP
Confused of you guys are talking about the vertical links above ? I have the vertical links and more stuff going on soon but I have a hard time seeing how they can make that noise idling at a stop and recreating that noise.

Not saying impossible and trying to picture what is happening .. pushing the car into gear from a stop holding the clutch down and the momentum from the input shaft does carry through the shaft to the synchros through to the output shaft.. Through the driveshaft to the diff and out to the axles and tries to rotate the stopped wheels.. It's not much momentum id imagine but possibly enough to cause the force to reach the links which.. I honestly haven't even looked in depth at the rear suspension enough to try and understand how it works and what the links do. Just thinking and typing here but I guess it does seem possible ? I know in the bmr videos on YouTube I've watched there's a hell of a lot of movement in the suspension in stock form.
I installed the vertical links at the same time, I don't think they contribute to the stopping of the thud. I attribute the fix to the bk054 mounts.

Joshg120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I'd like to see further developments on this as well. Do we know if the steeda differential bushing kit can give the same result as the BMR? Just curious as I have the steeda kit waiting to be installed but may switch if they don't give the same result

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I installed the vertical links at the same time, I don't think they contribute to the stopping of the thud. I attribute the fix to the bk054 mounts.
Don't these parts have names or does everyone enjoy calling them by part numbers ? :frusty:

Jewishthunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Magnetic GTPP
Don't these parts have names or does everyone enjoy calling them by part numbers ? :frusty:
There are a ton of different parts that go in the same spot. Way easier to be specific by the name and not make anything weird here.

Differential Bushing Lockout Kit
Sponsored