Sponsored

Problem when quickly shifting manual trans

7six2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
I’ve had my car for six months, and now that it has 4,000 miles on it I’m beginning to tap into its performance a little more. My issue is that a few times while accelerating under full throttle as I push in the clutch and quickly move the lever it fails to actually go into the next gear, and before I can realize it I’m already releasing the clutch and getting back on the gas…cause me to rev neutral and look like an idiot. I don’t consider myself a pro racer when it comes to manual shifting but I do have experience driving them. So am I doing something wrong…trying to shift to fast or something? or are these part of the MT-82 woes I’ve heard about?
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Get yourself a Steeda Tri-Ax race shifter and that won't happen anymore. Contact [MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION] and he will take care of you.

It will be a night and day difference when shifting your car.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
I’ve had my car for six months, and now that it has 4,000 miles on it I’m beginning to tap into its performance a little more. My issue is that a few times while accelerating under full throttle as I push in the clutch and quickly move the lever it fails to actually go into the next gear, and before I can realize it I’m already releasing the clutch and getting back on the gas…cause me to rev neutral and look like an idiot. I don’t consider myself a pro racer when it comes to manual shifting but I do have experience driving them. So am I doing something wrong…trying to shift to fast or something? or are these part of the MT-82 woes I’ve heard about?
Thanks, [MENTION=7398]Todd15Fastback[/MENTION]!

OP, here to help. Check out our popular Tri-Ax Race shifter, and while you're at it, pop one of our clutch springs in there. Welcome to a whole new shifting experience! Take a look at the reviews for each of those if you get a chance.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
I'll check those out; but not too keen on the idea of swapping a lot of parts out on a brand new car. Another thought....should I be pressing the clutch pedal ALL the way down? Normally for gear changes I push the pedal just past what I perceive to be the disengagement point, but not all the way to the floor.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I'll check those out; but not too keen on the idea of swapping a lot of parts out on a brand new car. Another thought....should I be pressing the clutch pedal ALL the way down? Normally for gear changes I push the pedal just past what I perceive to be the disengagement point, but not all the way to the floor.
Every clutch or car engagement is different. Yes, push it to the floor, I do. I have no issues.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
After your first mod or two, that feeling goes out of the window! :lol: One cannot simply own a Mustang and keep it stock!

Like Todd said above, push the clutch all the way down to the floor before switching gears.

Horde5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
The Warchief
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
When drivin hard the stock shifter can bind up and not make into gear. I had this problem a lot goind 1st to 2nd. Its the main reason I bought an aftermarket shifter, though the shorter throw is probably worth it by itself.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
As I've stated numerous times since l installed my Steeda shifter, l've not had one lockout when power shifting since installing the shifter. It's a nice feeling having the confidence in knowing this won't happen, unlike the stock shifter where you would cringe at each attempt when making the same shift.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
Good info fellas. I'll be more mindful of pushing the clutch all the way in, and also give consideration to the aftermarket shifters. LOL...with my GTO once I started modding, it became a slippery slope. Good times.

Sponsored

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Silly question...does that replace all the weaknesses with the MT82 and make it a much more robust transmission?
Yes, replaces the weaknesses of the shifter being misaligned during hard shifting causing the lockouts. It accomplishes this by directly mounting the shifter to the tranny eliminating any misalignment issues. Also gets rid of the stupid pull up reverse for a push down reverse

[ame]

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
The problem is how much the transmission moves during WOT shifts. There is a video in the below link the shows the movement.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36876

The stock shifter mounts to the body while having linkage that will bind up. The majority of aftermarket shifters follow the stock shifter design by also mounting to the body and reusing the stock shifter linkage. The only shift that doesn't mount to the body or reuse any of the stock components is the MGW.

My recommendations:
MGW
Steeda transmission mount
RP or Amsoil fluid
Remove the assist clutch spring

I had the same setup and can shift at 7800 without any issues. I did switched to the Boomba trans mount and that helped even more but caused NVH. However, it is breaking in really well.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
As I've stated numerous times since l installed my Steeda shifter, l've not had one lockout when power shifting since installing the shifter. It's a nice feeling having the confidence in knowing this won't happen, unlike the stock shifter where you would cringe at each attempt when making the same shift.
Glad to hear, John! :cheers: