Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

Hwy1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
This is a crock of horse shit. I've owned many rwd vehicles over the years, even as old as a Studebaker pick up truck. None of them did what these people on this sight are describing.
Do you own a Mustang? Because I do and i can tell you it is NOT right and you can say what you want, something is not right!
Sponsored

Hwy1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Ford tried to make a good shifter and trans. Did not work ! Now they have to own it.... $$$$$ is the problem... If you can handle a bit of noise or loud audio.. not a problem

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Do you own a Mustang? Because I do and i can tell you it is NOT right and you can say what you want, something is not right!
Yes I do have a Mustang. Maybe you misunderstand or I didn't make myself clear. I am sticking up FOR the members that have the thud problem. All that I was trying to say was that out of the rwd vehicles that I have owned, they didn't have the problem. And the vehicles that I had in the past didn't have all of the mounting points in the driveline that this Mustang has. There wasn't any rubber cushioning anywhere on the one piece driveshafts in my Dusters, Darts and Challenger. I'm talking early 1970's. There was a time when you could sit down with your salesman and individually choose the options. That's the way it ought to be now. I would order my Mustang with nylon bushings and mounts. And a one piece driveshaft. And a tranny mounted shifter. And other stuff that I can't think of right now but you all get the point. Ok, this is what your car is gonna cost, see you in a couple months.

Hwy1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Yes I do have a Mustang. Maybe you misunderstand or I didn't make myself clear. I am sticking up FOR the members that have the thud problem. All that I was trying to say was that out of the rwd vehicles that I have owned, they didn't have the problem. And the vehicles that I had in the past didn't have all of the mounting points in the driveline that this Mustang has. There wasn't any rubber cushioning anywhere on the one piece driveshafts in my Dusters, Darts and Challenger. I'm talking early 1970's. There was a time when you could sit down with your salesman and individually choose the options. That's the way it ought to be now. I would order my Mustang with nylon bushings and mounts. And a one piece driveshaft. And a tranny mounted shifter. And other stuff that I can't think of right now but you all get the point. Ok, this is what your car is gonna cost, see you in a couple months.
Tha I understand.. It is a shame they don't do it that tofay...

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I know my e46 m3 has a similar setup with a subframe etc.. That car nor any other e46 m3 I've driven, or read about on all the Bmw forums I've ever been on had a thud. I listed all of my vehicles a while back and I've had several and they all didn't do it. And for the 100th time yes I agree it's unacceptable.

I decided to post yet again because I just drove a friend home from work and he asked .. "What's that sound when you shift" ... He's not a car guy at all and he was like wtf. He said it sounded like the little bass pop from when you power on some sound systems and the sub does a little pop thing.. I don't know what is called but it's an interesting comparison.

Sponsored

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
I know my e46 m3 has a similar setup with a subframe etc.. That car nor any other e46 m3 I've driven, or read about on all the Bmw forums I've ever been on had a thud. I listed all of my vehicles a while back and I've had several and they all didn't do it. And for the 100th time yes I agree it's unacceptable.

I decided to post yet again because I just drove a friend home from work and he asked .. "What's that sound when you shift" ... He's not a car guy at all and he was like wtf. He said it sounded like the little bass pop from when you power on some sound systems and the sub does a little pop thing.. I don't know what is called but it's an interesting comparison.
That is exactly the sound...I mentioned it earlier in the thread. Like a large subwoofer thumping when you turn it on/off.

I have noticed it's much louder with the windows DOWN and my son and I agree it's worse from the passenger seat. To the point of obnoxious. I made a video with my iPhone today but listening to it just on the phone, I can't hear it. I need to listen over some headphones but I have a feeling the quality of the iPhone mic can't pick up a frequency so low. Not that it matters.

I am going to go to this "open house" thing at my dealer and ask that the service manager ride with me. I will duly report. :thumbsup:

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
I installed the steeda trans bushing insert a couple days ago and haven't had the trans thud since. I need a little bit more time to verify it though.
That is great and I hope it worked for you. But, why would you need more time? I would be able to tell in about 30 seconds. Drive the car and shift up to 4th. If it was gone...:clap2:

Jewishthunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Magnetic GTPP
Alright guys, here's a bit of a breakdown. I've had the infamous thud since driving it off the lot. I've been able to recreate it at will, whenever I wanted to.

Bought the BMR diff lock out, and the whiteline trans bushing. No changes in the thud. Installed springs and viking shocks no difference.
Changed tranny and diff fluid, no difference.

THEN, to aid in wheelhop and launching ability with my whipple I added BMR's BK054 and their Vertical links.

THE THUD IS GONE. 100% GONE. Seriously.

I drove it about an hour yesterday in various conditions and tried my hardest to recreate it. I think it's the BK054 that did it. The vertical links are a gorgeous piece but I have a hard time seeing how that would solve the thud. I can absolutely see how to BK054 cleans up drivetrain lash, and could/did eliminate the thud.

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
^^^ I have been thinking for quite a while now that it has something to do with suspension/isolation. And that's because I can hear the EXACT sound when hitting just the right bump in the road.

Thanks so much for this info...for $50-$100 bucks I'm all over this.

Sponsored

rsmustangjr16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Performance Pack
Please update us on your progress. I would love to hear that these bushing kits can eliminate the thud.

Jewishthunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Magnetic GTPP

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP

rsmustangjr16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's good to hear. Are these was simple to install as they look? Does the weight of the car need to be off the suspension or can it be left on the ground?

rsmustangjr16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nvm previous question as I believe I have found the install papers on the site.
Sponsored