Sponsored

Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
:lol:I and others here have had many other vehicles with manual transmissions that don't do this. They were/are "mechanical devices", no? How come some do it and others don't?

You may be 100% correct about what's going on inside the tranny but how about coming up with an idea of how to stop the sound getting into the interior instead of berating those of us seeking a solution?

What do you think could isolate this sound?

BTW, do you really work for Ford?
Every manual transmission does this regardless of vehicle. It's the nature of how they operate. It may be more apparent on RWD applications that use a direct shift linkage or a remote linkage with high durometer bushings. The stiffer bushings improve shift feel at the cost of some additional NVH. These are performance cars, the majority of owners would rather have a stronger shifter with better feel at the cost of some slightly higher NVH levels.

There is no need to "stop the sound" or "seek a solution", it's a normal characteristic of a manual transmission.

I work in the automotive industry, so I work with Ford vehicles, along with many other brands of vehicles.
Sponsored

ridenfish39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
My Mazda 6, WS6 TA, 04 Acura TL, Mazdaspeed 3 and my 2012 Mustang GT did not thud when engaging first, and shifting 1-2 and 2-3. My 15 Mustang GT does. Why is that? LOL.

Ayabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GG GT Premium with PP
My Mazda 6, WS6 TA, 04 Acura TL, Mazdaspeed 3 and my 2012 Mustang GT did not thud when engaging first, and shifting 1-2 and 2-3. My 15 Mustang GT does. Why is that? LOL.
Because you're lying, dumber than Mr Jiffy Lube Tech, can't drive a manual and should basically kill yourself for suggesting Ford has dropped the ball. :cheers:

It still boils down to people that know better and those that don't. It's not a normal sound, it's not a thump akin to anything in an M car and people suggesting that don't know dick.

ridenfish39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
Because you're lying, dumber than Mr Jiffy Lube Tech, can't drive a manual and should basically kill yourself for suggesting Ford has dropped the ball. :cheers:

It still boils down to people that know better and those that don't. It's not a normal sound, it's not a thump akin to anything in an M car and people suggesting that don't know dick.
LOL :D

In all honesty though....aside from the thud, the MT82 in my 15 shifts better than my 12 GT did. That car had the left turn nibble thing. Never had a problem with it otherwise in 45 k miles though. My 04 TL wouldn't shift for shit 2-3 when it was cold out. I have no issues with that in my 15. Aside from the thud the trans is perfect. I only have the Steeda shifter bracket and I really don't feel the need to upgrade the shifter as it's only a daily driver.
The thud does concern me though, it seems like something that will accelerate wear in the trans. I can avoid it when engaging 1st just by giving it a second before putting it into gear, but the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts usually thud no matter what.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
that's why i havent given any thought to this thud when i heard it, because i understand what is going on, and it's not just a "black box" to me.

the only reason i have given this any thought is because of this thread. it's obviously a concern to everyone else, and it's been a pretty interesting 50 pages so far....
Its the minority making a mountain out of a mole hill. All manual transmissions have quirks and flaws with their design. Ive never driven a flawless manual transmission. As long as i can bang out the gears without it giving me trouble going into gear i dont care much. But this is coming from someone that doesnt mind dog boxes. :lol: The minorities always speak the loudest.

Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
My 2011 GT didn't have the thud, neither does my friend's 2013 CS, neither did his 2012 GT....

Hwy1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Because that's the way mechanical devices work.

If you don't like it, then walk. Ignorance of the laws of basic physics is not anyone's problem but your own.
First off you are only going by what you have read and not really heard.
I have have many manuel shifting cars and know some make normal noises.. This is not normal nor is it the gears grinding together..
There is a issue , my dealer here'sit, feels and had my car for 10 days and could not figure it out we drove 4 cars the same all were different, but made this noise only one did not
When Ford figures it out a buliten will go out and we will know till then turn up the audio and enjoy the car
There are people on here looking for a fix.. Berating them is not helpful

Last edited:

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
We all know that a manual trans. will make some sort of noise when going from idling in neutral, pushing the clutch pedal and immediately going in a gear. And we do know that some have a problem with the thud every time they shift. That video from a few pages back shows us just how much that rear end moves around. Each bolt fastening point that has rubber isolators can move. What if the factory installed the rear end just a little bit crooked and now you have a bolt or two hitting metal. The thud would sound like a bolt that's holding something that is heavy and the sound being muffled by rubber. Going through these posts I never paid much attention to what model years of cars that are doing this. Maybe it doesn't make any difference. My car does not do this, yet. But mine was made the second week of September 2015.

fogus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, DI Blue, Base
You can't be serious.

EVERY vehicle with a manual transmission will do that. Here is why:

When the transmission is in gear with the clutch depressed, the input shaft is directly engaged to the wheels. Therefore, it is stationary. As you change gears, all of the internal components in the transmission remain stationary.

When you let the clutch out in neutral, you spin up the input shaft to the engine speed. When you release the clutch, the input shaft continues to freewheel since the transmission is in neutral.

When you place it in gear with the input shaft freewheeling, the synchronizer needs to match the speed of the input shaft with the speed of the gear being selected. Therefore, the synchro needs to reduce the speed of the input shaft to zero RPM. This is accomplished through the use of a blocking ring, synchronizer hub, and shift fork. The blocking ring contains a friction material (carbon fiber, bronze, composite, etc) that acts as a clutch to speed up or slow down the gear. The synchronization of the speed gear is the clunk noise and resistance you feel in the shifter when you engage the gear. Once the input shaft is stationary, the gear can then be engaged. All that happens in the couple tenths of a second it takes for you to move the shifter from neutral to 1st gear.
I asked about that exact point in post #800 (physics and all). The current theory is a lack of appropriate isolation in this Mustang, not that there is something broken in my car.

Hwy1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Well this is just perfect... I took my car over to my buddy and told him to test drvie it and tell me that the steering felt ok....
He sells high end car's etc....
He took the car out for maybe 10 min. came back and said nice car, seems to steer just fine ( which it does ) WTF is wrong with transmission????
Ha, I never mentioned it to him...
So, here is a guy who drives Ferrari's and such and he thinks something is wrong with trans. due to clunking sound....
If it's NORMAL why would he hear normal as a problem???
P.S. He loves the car...
His thought: It is in the new rearend and that he thinks it feels a bit loose.
Hmmm?
We are going to rack it after Christmas and see if we can see anything or find any play!

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I asked about that exact point in post #800 (physics and all). The current theory is a lack of appropriate isolation in this Mustang, not that there is something broken in my car.
Lack of appropriate isolation for the given amount of movement in the rear subframe due to the overly soft differential isolation bushings my guess at this point. Solid rear axle Mustangs with the MT82 don't have this issue because there is no IRS. The fact that automatic cars can get the thud too when driven hard support this guess as well.

The Steeda or BMR inserts should fix the problem:

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1569

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-m...ing-insert-system-urethane-2015-all-555-4439/

Hwy1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Lack of appropriate isolation for the given amount of movement in the rear subframe due to the overly soft differential isolation bushings my guess at this point. Solid rear axle Mustangs with the MT82 don't have this issue because there is no IRS. The fact that automatic cars can get the thud too when driven hard support this guess as well.

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-m...ing-insert-system-urethane-2015-all-555-4439/
Best post yet.. Thx Also note: Changing out these parts may bring out some other noise's that you might not like, that is called "performance noise", friend's!

:ford:

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Those that have this problem might want to do a road test. Get some one that knows what they are looking for and have them follow you down a straight road and see if there is any yaw in your car.

15RRGT

I am teh liquor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT PP TVS

I just installed the steeda version. If I get the car out again before April I'll report back and let you know if they help lol.

nrothaar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Race Red
Can anyone confirm these inserts fix the problem
Sponsored