Sponsored

Magnaride Vs Aftermarket Performance Suspension

Magnaride, Air Suspension, or performance Coilovers?

• Total voters

DnLowGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT
Greetings All, I'm really close to ordering the exact GT I want with PP1 and without Magnaride. The big question is should I stick with Magnaride? In the future I want to lower the suspension. I like the idea of air suspension, but it may not be the best for any track driving. I could go with performance Coilovers for tack use, or I could go with the Magnaride and lowering springs. This car will have multiple performance upgrades, and will see track time.

I'm thinking the Magna ride with lowering springs may mess with the handling for on track driving.

Any advise on this issue you can give is appreciated. I need to order this next week to meet the 2019 cut off.

2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium Fastback, 5.0L Ti-VCT V8 Engine (PFDI)

10-Speed SelectShift® Automatic Transmission

Shadow Black

5.0L Ti-VCT V8 Engine (PFDI)

10-Speed SelectShift® Automatic Transmission

GT Performance Package

Premium Plus Package

19-Inch x 9-Inch (F) 19-Inch x 9.5-Inch (R) Ebony Black-Painted Aluminum Wheels

Rear Spoiler – Performance Rear Wing

Remote Start System

Active Valve Performance Exhaust

BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert (CTA)

Reverse Sensing System

255/40R19 (F) 275/40R19 (R) Summer-Only Tires

3.55 Limited Slip Rear Axle

Interior:

Ebony

Premier Accent Group Leather-trimmed Front Bucket Seats

Selectable Drive Modes with Toggle switches

Dual-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC)

Floor Mats – Premium with Accent Stitching

Climate Controlled Front Seats (Heated/Cooled)

Memory Driver Seat (3 settings) and Mirrors

B&O™ Premium Sound System by Bang & Olufsen

SiriusXM® Radio
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
A true performance coilover setup is going to be $3000-4500, and while tolerable for regular street use, are generally sprung and damped with track use as the primary focus. Magneride is a nice compromise suspension. With aftermarket controllers you can get the damping closer to where a performance coilover is on track, but the springs will still need upgrading (the PP1 Magneride springs are very soft).

The question really is: what is your intent for the car? Weekend warrior with lots of track use and autocross? Street car with the every once in a while performance event? Strictly DD?

I wouldn't consider air for anything other than looks. No one focused on performance uses or advocates them.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Do you want a sporty suspension with a plush ride around town? Thats where magnaride can’t be beat. It turns small harhness of city streets into velvety goodness.

For the same money you can get 3$$$ aftermarket coilovers with properly stiff springs for track use which give you the control to dial in ride height and shock settings to tune for track handling. Tunability is king here.

Stock Ford Magnaride is good for intro track work, but best on the street. Proper track suspensions are not great on city streets, and need to be driven very hard to be at their best.

For a lot less money than the magnaride you can upgrade the PP car with stiffer springs and decent mixed use shocks, it just wont be as buttery smooth as a magnaride car for commuting.

OP
OP

DnLowGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT
Thanks for the replies. Magnaride at 1700 for an add on is probably the best buy. I think I'll add it on order.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Once DSC releases a controller for the 2018+ GT you'll be able to have custom tune your track mode for the local track, Sport+ how you like to drive it on the public twisties, and then nice soft ride in town.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
You can also buy the Ford performance kit and get upgraded springs and sways. Comes with a chip that contains the gt pp2 magneride settings.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
You can also buy the Ford performance kit and get upgraded springs and sways. Comes with a chip that contains the gt pp2 magneride settings.
Its just a ODB2 port adapter and a paper with voucher code. You have to DL the tune/flash software from Ford Performance

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If you are planning track use why not get a PP2, or even better a GT350 that won't overheat the diff after 5 laps?

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I've spent enough money on my GT that I offer wish I would have just gotten a 350. I do enjoy upgrading and Turing a wrench on the car, sometimes, but to have a track ready car out of the gate and a warranty to boot would be pretty nice.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Magnaride - street car/commuter car with light track use
Coilovers - track focused car that can be used as street car (wife/girlfriend will probably hate your car after)
Air suspension - purely looks / show car. If you want any kind of performance driving, then no

PP1/PP2 - very capable on the track for beginners. Neither package comes with sufficient cooling though
350 - most track ready Mustang you can buy (other than 350R) but still will need upgrades for competitive track use

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase