Sponsored

Missing my magnaride suspension

tommyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP manual
I just traded my EcoBoost with magnaride for a GT and the ride is, as expected ,more harsh. The Ford service manager told me that changing the suspension will void my warranty unless they install a Ford product. I'm ok with that as long as the end result is a smoother ride. This manager had no clue as to which suspension would do that. So does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
what do you mean by more harsh exactly? also, do you have a base or PP1 car?

I found with some simple changes to the factory suspension, it can do its job better. J&M shock mounts helped the rear end feel less floaty and bouncy, the CB005 subframe lockout kit helped the rear end in its entirety feel more one with the car. I am still on the factory PP1 shocks/springs which I believe are the same as the 2018+ base gt suspension

I don't think you'll get an off the shelf offering that will have the benefits of the near infinitely adjustable magneride, but you can certainly improve upon it.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Ya, like, we need more details.

but the bad news is - you’re probably not going to be able to get the same feeling without the magnaride… but lets hear what you got first.

OP
OP

tommyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP manual
Thanks. I have a stock GT . 2021. The word harsh is probably a little strong. I just got used to magnarides refined ride. A smoother ride is my goal, less impact over potholes. I'm reluctant to use aftermarket products if it will void my warrantee..that's why I asked about Ford suspension.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Thanks. I have a stock GT . 2021. The word harsh is probably a little strong. I just got used to magnarides refined ride. A smoother ride is my goal, less impact over potholes. I'm reluctant to use aftermarket products if it will void my warrantee..that's why I asked about Ford suspension.
Ford suspension or not make no difference warranty wise
In case of warranty claims, a common sense cause to effect relationship should be the basis for denying or not the claim
For example:
Your radio take a dump, hard to tie that to the suspension
Your car develop a lot of rattle, easy to tie

Last edited:

Sponsored

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I have no input as far as suspension goes but what wheels came with your GT? Mine came with 20" with a very short sidewall tire and they are brutal through potholes. Maybe a different wheel/tire combo would help.

OP
OP

tommyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP manual
255/40/19 . I dropped the tire pressure to 30. So , the voiding my warranty statement was a scare tactic? Thanks for all the advice.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
255/40/19 . I dropped the tire pressure to 30. So , the voiding my warranty statement was a scare tactic? Thanks for all the advice.
Is the GT a new car or used? Stock wheels and tires?

Basically, yes, mostly scare tactic.

They cannot and won't void the entire warranty on your car for some suspension mod. If you have a suspension issue tho and you've changed some parts out, you can see how that would be a problem. They won't to warranty repairs on the suspension if you've been messing around with those parts.

The base GT is about as soft as its going to get. If you spent some $$$$ on lightweight wheels and some, like, contiential sport tires with soft compliant sidewalls, you can improve the ride a small but noticeable amount.

IMHO the rear shock mounts (mentioned above I believe) are not really a noticeable change. I've switched them back and fort with the stock mounts and its negligible (sorry to the fans).

You got used to a premium magnaride experience. That buttery ride is hard to replicate without ruining the overall handling. I don't even know any aftermarket parts which are softer to direct you to (aside from addressing the unsprung weight with wheels and tires)

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Trade up to a magride pp1 will be the only comparable solution.

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Something to remember when chasing the buttery smooth ride you’re looking for, is that you bought a rear wheel drive V8 sports car. If you want something really smooth a pre owned Mercedes for the same price would be a lot more comfortable (for example).

Obviously you can spend the money to convert to magnaride, but I would imagine if it didn’t come stock it wouldn’t be worth the trouble. These cars, generally speaking, are the most fun when they’ve been stiffened up a bit and really tear the road up. I propose to you, if you’re going to spend money on suspension, to get something more sporty, acknowledge that it’s not super smooth over bumps, and really enjoy your V8.

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
So , the voiding my warranty statement was a scare tactic?
I had rear differential work done on my GT more than a year after aftermarket suspension parts were installed. It was covered under warranty. No way they didn't notice the red springs and yellow shocks. :) Now, if it was a control arm or something I could see them trying to blame the suspension parts.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
IMHO the rear shock mounts (mentioned above I believe) are not really a noticeable change. I've switched them back and fort with the stock mounts and its negligible (sorry to the fans).

not to start a pissing war but we have tremendously shitty roads here in PA, when I did the J&M shock mounts and nothing else I did notice a change for the better in the rear end. Best way I could describe it was a reduction in "wallowy" factor, felt a bit more controlled. I'm not sure where the OP is specifically in North NJ, some roads there are fine some aren't.

I'm sure in road course and auto-x events it doesn't make nearly as much difference. Just my 2c, I know a fair bit of the suspension mods are always a debated topic.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
not to start a pissing war but we have tremendously shitty roads here in PA, when I did the J&M shock mounts and nothing else I did notice a change for the better in the rear end. Best way I could describe it was a reduction in "wallowy" factor, felt a bit more controlled. I'm not sure where the OP is specifically in North NJ, some roads there are fine some aren't.

I'm sure in road course and auto-x events it doesn't make nearly as much difference. Just my 2c, I know a fair bit of the suspension mods are always a debated topic.
I said sorry, you don't have to be defensive or post to counter my personal opinion.

Swap your stock mounts back on and tell me its not confirmation bias. I ran one stock on one side and one steeda on the other and couldn't tell a damn difference side to side. None at all. The roads near my house are pretty bad too.

I'm not saying they're not good parts. I'm on the J&M mounts too and they're good kit, but they are not a big difference in feel if you're scientific about it.

They're certainly not going to move the needle to "magnaride" for the OP, which is all that matters here.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I said sorry, you don't have to be defensive or post to counter my personal opinion.
just a discussion, not trying to start a flame war

They're certainly not going to move the needle to "magnaride" for the OP, which is all that matters here.
you're certainly right about that, I don't think any aftermarket bolt on part is going to achieve that kind of ride either way.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
...The base GT is about as soft as its going to get. If you spent some $$$$ on lightweight wheels and some, like, contiential sport tires with soft compliant sidewalls, you can improve the ride a small but noticeable amount.
I can confirm this. I went from stock 235/50/18 Pirellis to 285/35/19 Continental Extreme Contact Sports and was shocked at how smooth they were. Wanted to switch up wheels anyways so a win/win.
Sponsored

Last edited: