• Poll closed .

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I would say manual most times because my current one is a manual. I'm going with auto because you can get the 10 speed with the handling pack now. It will be faster.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I really love driving a stick most of the time and it's what I've had on the last 2 Mustangs along with many motorcycles over the years obviously.
This time, my circumstances have changed and I'm going to go with an Auto. It's not because I'm a pussy and not a real driver! lol
It's because I want my wife and kids to be able to experience driving this car every once and a while too. And you don't learn stick unless you drive it everyday which they all won't be.
The rev matching, 10-speed isn't as boring as most Auto's so I think I'll be fine.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Obviously manual. You can tell the mettle of a man by his transmission choice. Real men drive stick. Even if the performance suffers. They are driving for the experience. The Mach1 is a car, not a blender. A car like that deserves to be driven by someone who's in touch with their feelings. The kind of man who connects with their car through the clutch pedal, and isn't ashamed to shed a tear while watching sad movies. The Manual Man. The only REAL driver.
443b90ff72964adf248d6bd6c5c743f3b835c2a41e84597e0c9f54ebbbbb21bb_1.jpg

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Having one of each of best

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
With a manual you get infinite driving modes...

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Another way I look at it, most of the guys here already know how to drive a manual. To me, that's a skill I learned and it won't ever go away. Driving an auto won't change that. I'm sure my left foot will look for a clutch a few times, but I'll get over it. If anyone wants to call you out for driving an automatic, ask them to let you borrow their manual and go for a drive.

Options are a good thing, but we all know the automatic transmission today is faster/better than a manual from a performance standpoint. If you can put all that aside and drive the car for the experience, manual all day long. The Tremec is probably leagues better than the MT-82. It took a lot of work to make my manual desirable.

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
Depends on how you use the car and what it is about the experience that you enjoy most.

If you're a drag racer and you want to use the car at the track in that fashion, you're a fool to get a stick, the A10s are very good. Straight line the automatic wins every time these days.

If you want to play a more major part in the driving experience, if you want a car with more character, if you want to do track days on a road course, if you want to own a stick car before they all become extinct, then the manual is the way to go.

To the guy that said he bought an auto because he wanted other family members to be able to drive it, I respectfully disagree. Owning something impractical like a V8 Mustang already signs you up as an enthusiast. The car is unique and the driving experience should be too. Learning to drive the car and execute correct up shifts and downshifts should be part of the "we don't do this every day this is fun" experience. That's what leisure activity is, something we don't do every day. Don't take the fun out of it by dumbing it down or making it so easy everyone can do it with no practice. It's the difference between your kids saying "yah that mustang dad had was fun" and "Dad bought that mustang, I was intimidated at first but I learned to drive it, what a blast!"

Full disclosure, I'm a HARDCORE stick shift guy. The only automatic I own is in a Honda Accord I share with my wife. I even swapped my Chevy Tahoe to a 'stick...

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I taught two different girlfriends how to drive a stick. The second one I married. My kids know how to drive a stick because that's the real world. And besides that it's cool!

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I taught two different girlfriends how to drive a stick. The second one I married. My kids know how to drive a stick because that's the real world. And besides that it's cool!
I find women are a little too rough with the stick. Maybe I'm just dating the wrong women.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I find women are a little too rough with the stick. Maybe I'm just dating the wrong women.
Yes. It tells you a lot about the woman. You want one that can really massage that lever in the clutch just right. It tells you a lot about them. One of the tests necessary before you get married.

Sponsored

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2198 Grabber Yellow
In the UK 99% of drivers learn to drive stick when they learn to drive and most cars sold are manual. It is starting to move more towards automatics in terms of car sales, but almost everyone can drive stick. Always amuses me reading US posts about manly manual drivers and that their wives can't drive stick. No such thing over here, we're all driving gods and goddesses.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I beg to differ on the ease of teaching someone to drive stick that never drives the car much. Or maybe needs to get my drunk ass home once in a while.
Kids don't have attention span and wife has never driven one and I wouldn't want the stress of her inexperience trying to figure out driving manual when I need her full focus on the road so she doesn't crash my Mach. Unfortunately life changes and needs change. I'll adapt and try tiptronic

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
Sorry, I beg to differ on the ease of teaching someone to drive stick that never drives the car much. Or maybe needs to get my drunk ass home once in a while.
Kids don't have attention span and wife has never driven one and I wouldn't want the stress of her inexperience trying to figure out driving manual when I need her full focus on the road so she doesn't crash my Mach. Unfortunately life changes and needs change. I'll adapt and try tiptronic
Kid's attention spans sounds like another problem that needs resolved. Shouldn't be the reason you don't buy the car you want. Dad's continuing to deny themselves and the things they want are why we have so many unhappy fathers in society today... This goes in the same bucket as "I sold my car when we got married/had kids". Wrong answer! That's when you need your toys the most! LOL

My wife doesn't want to drive stick, doesn't think it's fun, but she's not a car person. She has learned enough to drive in an emergency and that's just fine. She drove my Trans Am to urgent care one time, got there safely. If it was that big of a deal I've got plenty of local buddies that could come get the car or me or both, so I don't let that dictate what I drive. Just my $.02

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black
I’m interested to see which was more appealing to those paying a premium for the Mach1
sports car = manual. if i wanted an automated transportation device i'd obviously get a tesla which is also much faster.
Sponsored