Mach1 Open Track & HPDE

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
I thought I would start a new thread specifically for the Mach1 on track days. I looked for one but this topic is spread out all over.

Spent a day at Mission Raceway (Canada, BC, Mission). Dry & hot. The track is not ideally suited for the Mach1 but fun but also unforgiving (loads of concrete walls) if you go over your limit.

Brake Pads - I did upgrade my front stock Brembo brake pads to Ferodo DS1.11. These are ideally suited for the track and not street but I find that if I am gentle with my foot when on the street they work just fine. They for sure are more efficient than the Brembo's - better stopping power. Not sure if I should be upgrading my rotors but will do this once they have worn out.

Tires - I put my used Michelin Sport Cup 2's back on (305/30/19 Front & 315/30/19 Rear) and comparing to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R (305/30/19 all around) they just stick better.
I measured the temp on my rotors after a session and got over 450 deg C (842 deg F). They were smoking...
Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Brakes do get very hot, and apparently the bearing assemblies themselves as well. They got hot enough to warp the plastic center caps that came with my aftermarket wheels. I'd recommend removing them for track use.

pozi240

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 700A HP 6M FJG, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
I thought I would start a new thread specifically for the Mach1 on track days. I looked for one but this topic is spread out all over.

Spent a day at Mission Raceway (Canada, BC, Mission). Dry & hot. The track is not ideally suited for the Mach1 but fun but also unforgiving (loads of concrete walls) if you go over your limit.

Brake Pads - I did upgrade my front stock Brembo brake pads to Ferodo DS1.11. These are ideally suited for the track and not street but I find that if I am gentle with my foot when on the street they work just fine. They for sure are more efficient than the Brembo's - better stopping power. Not sure if I should be upgrading my rotors but will do this once they have worn out.

Tires - I put my used Michelin Sport Cup 2's back on (305/30/19 Front & 315/30/19 Rear) and comparing to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R (305/30/19 all around) they just stick better.
I measured the temp on my rotors after a session and got over 450 deg C (842 deg F). They were smoking...
They shouldn’t be smoking, ever for just a track day. Did you replace your brake fluid beforehand? That is the single most important thing to do (besides tires). I wouldn’t even worry about pad compound so much for just HPDE. Using a top quality high performance brand fluid (like Motul RBF 600) will make a HUGE difference in your braking performance and prevent boil over. The tracks I frequent here in southern Ontario require us to prove we have replaced the fluid within the last 90 days. I typically do mine every other month during track season.

2BigPups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150

The stock Mach 1 pads are Ferodo DS2500. No issues for street and 8 HPDE days so far.

OP
OP
IanKar

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
The stock Mach 1 pads are Ferodo DS2500. No issues for street and 8 HPDE days so far.
Yes I heard they were Ferodo. I was quite happy with their performance but then the dealer told me that they had overheated and I had to replace them at 75%. After a bit a fiasco with the dealer, I kept using them nevertheless, until they were around 55%. Under advice, I replaced with DS1.11 which are 3 levels up from the DS2500 and they perform much better. But for the road, very sensitive so you have to be very easy on the pedal. But I can live with that and enjoy better braking power on the track. But they are quite a bit more expensive.

Sponsored

OP
OP
IanKar

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Was at Oregon Raceway Track this week. 1st day CCW and the next day CW (1st time doing it). The more I am learning and understanding the car, the more I am loving driving it on the track. This was a Porsche event but I went along. Eventually I was doing times of some of the Porsche's. Some of them got sub 2's but at least I managed 2:02.43. Far off for some seasoned trackers and close enough as an intermediate. I have no significant mods on my car and I was on my original Cup 2's that were pretty greasy. So I bet my Mach1 will do much better with some Nankang AR-1's and maybe I'll look at some suspension mods? Anyhow, I got my clip on youtube for those who want to see ORP clockwise direction from a Mustang POV.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
Was at Oregon Raceway Track this week. 1st day CCW and the next day CW (1st time doing it). The more I am learning and understanding the car, the more I am loving driving it on the track. This was a Porsche event but I went along. Eventually I was doing times of some of the Porsche's. Some of them got sub 2's but at least I managed 2:02.43. Far off for some seasoned trackers and close enough as an intermediate. I have no significant mods on my car and I was on my original Cup 2's that were pretty greasy. So I bet my Mach1 will do much better with some Nankang AR-1's and maybe I'll look at some suspension mods? Anyhow, I got my clip on youtube for those who want to see ORP clockwise direction from a Mustang POV.

Awesome Ian!!! You are really enjoying your car Bro, I think that was a good lap. You are correct, when you switch from the cup 2, you will see more gains.

767.mph

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stromspeed.com
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
1965 FFR Cobra, ‘21 Mustang Mach-1
Great vids! Thanks for sharing. Nice speeds and giving those tires a work out.

All stock HP suspension? What cambers you running?

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT, 2015 Dodge Durango RT
I like the look of that track- lots of open space around and minimal walls/barriers if you have an off when pushing it.

Sponsored

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car

How do you like the Garmin Catalyst? I’ve been shopping different lap timers/recorders and am truly still undecided. I’m starting to lean towards a Aim Smartycam Corsa, with maybe adding a solo DL at a later time, but honestly still undecided and open to suggestions.

OP
OP
IanKar

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
How do you like the Garmin Catalyst? I’ve been shopping different lap timers/recorders and am truly still undecided. I’m starting to lean towards a Aim Smartycam Corsa, with maybe adding a solo DL at a later time, but honestly still undecided and open to suggestions.
I think the Garmin Catalyst is great because it shows you your lines in segments and you can view the optimal lines and video. If you google a demo of it you should be impressed. The only issue is that it doesn't show your throttle and brake applications like Harry's Laptimer does with the OBD2 plugged in.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
I think the Garmin Catalyst is great because it shows you your lines in segments and you can view the optimal lines and video. If you google a demo of it you should be impressed. The only issue is that it doesn't show your throttle and brake applications like Harry's Laptimer does with the OBD2 plugged in.
Thanks for the info. I’m good with no throttle and brake (although that is pretty cool.) Speed, lap time, Track position are really what I’m looking for. Like you said, the bonus with the Garmin is the coaching feature….I also like it integrates with their little camera, and of course is more “affordable” than the Aim, or comparable offerings. If you can call $900 affordable.:cwl:

Forgot to ask, where do you mount it? The thing Is pretty big.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IanKar

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info. I’m good with no throttle and brake (although that is pretty cool.) Speed, lap time, Track position are really what I’m looking for. Like you said, the bonus with the Garmin is the coaching feature….I also like it integrates with their little camera, and of course is more “affordable” than the Aim, or comparable offerings. If you can call $900 affordable.:cwl:

Forgot to ask, where do you mount it? The thing Is pretty big.
I purchased the cage. Sorry I don't have a picture with the device but it fits in the cage. I tried various ways to mount but without drilling anywhere in my cockpit, I decided to use the suction cup and tilt it like so, so that I still had a good view of my bonnet. The camera is tricky. You need to center it and ensure you have enough space to tilt the camera to line up with the center 'grid' of your vehicle. So when you line up your camera it has guidelines to tilt the little camera. But once you stick it on your windshield it is a bugger to remove. I can take more pictures if you want?

IMG_5778.jpg

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
I purchased the cage. Sorry I don't have a picture with the device but it fits in the cage. I tried various ways to mount but without drilling anywhere in my cockpit, I decided to use the suction cup and tilt it like so, so that I still had a good view of my bonnet. The camera is tricky. You need to center it and ensure you have enough space to tilt the camera to line up with the center 'grid' of your vehicle. So when you line up your camera it has guidelines to tilt the little camera. But once you stick it on your windshield it is a bugger to remove. I can take more pictures if you want?

IMG_5778.jpg
Thanks. I appreciate it. I agree, drilling is a no go. That actually doesn’t look too bad. All the demo videos show it right in the middle of the windshield, which as you know, would block quite a bit of viewing area. Appreciate the photo and information.
Sponsored