Sponsored

Mach1 Open Track & HPDE

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
How do you like the Garmin Catalyst? I’ve been shopping different lap timers/recorders and am truly still undecided. I’m starting to lean towards a Aim Smartycam Corsa, with maybe adding a solo DL at a later time, but honestly still undecided and open to suggestions.
If I pick one word to describe it, it would be "easy".

If you are looking for in-depth data collection, want to tinker with various software to do all these videos overlays, customize, do complete data analysis, then you should shop elsewhere. I am aquite a bit of data junkie myself, but over years I've gotten lazy and too busy with other things to spend several days after track weekend to extract all of this. And better yet, forget everything I've analyzed by the time of next track event.

With Catalyst, everything is easy about it. You attach it with suction cup, connect 2 cables and you're ready to go. By the end of session, you have your videos, some good analytics in a very visual form, 3 improvement opportunities suggested, and when you go out next session, advanced coach feature will be giving you suggestions on how to go faster (tip - connect it to in-ear bluetooth headphone under the helmet). It's all specific to your skill level, car, etc. It learns the tracks that it doesn't have in database quite well too (just tested that feature past weekend). There is almost nothing you can customize, but at the same time if you don't have to spend any extra time when using it. It's great as canned solution, and I don't think anyone else does that yet.

Ross Bentley has a good series of videos about it on YT, check them out in case you haven't watched yet.
Sponsored

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
If I pick one word to describe it, it would be "easy".

If you are looking for in-depth data collection, want to tinker with various software to do all these videos overlays, customize, do complete data analysis, then you should shop elsewhere. I am aquite a bit of data junkie myself, but over years I've gotten lazy and too busy with other things to spend several days after track weekend to extract all of this. And better yet, forget everything I've analyzed by the time of next track event.

With Catalyst, everything is easy about it. You attach it with suction cup, connect 2 cables and you're ready to go. By the end of session, you have your videos, some good analytics in a very visual form, 3 improvement opportunities suggested, and when you go out next session, advanced coach feature will be giving you suggestions on how to go faster (tip - connect it to in-ear bluetooth headphone under the helmet). It's all specific to your skill level, car, etc. It learns the tracks that it doesn't have in database quite well too (just tested that feature past weekend). There is almost nothing you can customize, but at the same time if you don't have to spend any extra time when using it. It's great as canned solution, and I don't think anyone else does that yet.

Ross Bentley has a good series of videos about it on YT, check them out in case you haven't watched yet.
Thanks so much for the addition info. Yeah, not really interested in spending hour and hours after a track event doing editing and video overlays.

That was actually one of the selling points of the AIM cameras, seems like when you’re passed the set up everything is overlayed automatically.

But, if I’m being honest with myself, having an easy set-up, basic overlays is really more than enough. The coaching aspect is actually really nice, especially since that’s kind of the point of watching the video. (Other than showing off to your friends. :crackup: )

Seems cool too that it’s all kind of integrated in the device so you can review it between sessions. Since @IanKar suggested it, I’ve been checking out videos on it.

You guys are definitely talking me into it.:)

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
That was actually one of the selling points of the AIM cameras, seems like when you’re passed the set up everything is overlayed automatically.
Didn't know they have that.
But, if I’m being honest with myself, having an easy set-up, basic overlays is really more than enough.
That is the best point for me. I mainly do BMW CCA (and now PCA) track days with my local clubs, and both of them offer in-depth data collection and coaching on demand. so if I really need that, I can take it and have with real people doing analytics and reviewing with me.

OP
OP
IanKar

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
I purchased the cage. Sorry I don't have a picture with the device but it fits in the cage. I tried various ways to mount but without drilling anywhere in my cockpit, I decided to use the suction cup and tilt it like so, so that I still had a good view of my bonnet. The camera is tricky. You need to center it and ensure you have enough space to tilt the camera to line up with the center 'grid' of your vehicle. So when you line up your camera it has guidelines to tilt the little camera. But once you stick it on your windshield it is a bugger to remove. I can take more pictures if you want?

IMG_5778.jpg
I have added a few views, if it helps. One from a driver perspective and the others to show camera location. I could easily tuck that hanging wire from the camera as they send a few wire clips with the device.

IMG_6212.jpg

IMG_6213.jpg

IMG_6216.jpg

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
I have added a few views, if it helps. One from a driver perspective and the others to show camera location. I could easily tuck that hanging wire from the camera as they send a few wire clips with the device.

IMG_6212.jpg

IMG_6213.jpg

IMG_6216.jpg
Thanks so much for taking the tome to mount it up and take photos….that’s actually not bad at all, and really doesn’t seem to block much, if anything. Really appreciate the photos, and advice.

FYI….your garage looks awesome…..big stack of tires and love all the organization bins….jealous.

I really sincerely appreciate the help. Half the battle for me was figuring out an easy-ish solution to lap timing/video, with a non-obtrusive mounting and hook up. You and @tosha have been generous with your advice and time and I do appreciate it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
IanKar

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Thanks so much for taking the tome to mount it up and take photos….that’s actually not bad at all, and really doesn’t seem to block much, if anything. Really appreciate the photos, and advice.

FYI….your garage looks awesome…..big stack of tires and love all the organization bins….jealous.

I really sincerely appreciate the help. Half the battle for me was figuring out an easy-ish solution to lap timing/video, with a non-obtrusive mounting and hook up. You and @tosha have been generous with your advice and time and I do appreciate it.
Always a pleasure. And thanks for the compliments. You can also download the app on your phone and share your results on the Leaderboard or even invite friends etc. See pic.

IMG_6218.PNG

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Finally signed up for my first HPDE in the Mach. 8/17, Sonoma. There are plenty of events coming up sooner, but wanted Sonoma to be the first in the Mach, because I have about 200 laps there in another car. Wanted to make sure I ran a track where I already know the line, flag stands, pit in/out, etc.

In the novice group the first time out. (It’s a no passing group) Hope that turns out not to be a mistake, but his is my first time with HOD, so wanted a low pressure day, and just to fit in with the club.

And thanks to @IanKar and @tosha I’m now searching for a deal on a Garmin Catalyst. I’m like a kid waiting for Christmas, it’s going to be a long 2 mo wait. 😆

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods

Brake Pads - I did upgrade my front stock Brembo brake pads to Ferodo DS1.11. These are ideally suited for the track and not street but I find that if I am gentle with my foot when on the street they work just fine. They for sure are more efficient than the Brembo's - better stopping power. Not sure if I should be upgrading my rotors but will do this once they have worn out.

You might consider the brake air deflector vanes that I sell. We've proven them to drop front rotor temps 80-100F. Quick, easy install.

On my last track day I measured rear rotor temp of 600F upon returning to the paddock! I'm a little surprised that my cooling problem is now on the rear brakes.

OP
OP
IanKar

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
You might consider the brake air deflector vanes that I sell. We've proven them to drop front rotor temps 80-100F. Quick, easy install.

On my last track day I measured rear rotor temp of 600F upon returning to the paddock! I'm a little surprised that my cooling problem is now on the rear brakes.
Please send me the link where I can view these. I do have the Vorshlag Air Deflectors.

IMG_5496.jpg

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Please send me the link where I can view these. I do have the Vorshlag Air Deflectors.
I just ordered a set from him, here is the info:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/brake-air-deflector-vanes-for-pp1-2-cars.164692/

If you message him directly he responds very quickly. Ordered on a Sunday after asking a question or 2, he was already shipping them Monday.

I was about to order the Vorshlag, but liked how his design integrated the factory deflector. I’ll report my install experience and impressions when I receive them, but based on the info in the link above and @GTP customer service so far I expect it will all be positive.

Sponsored
OP
OP
IanKar

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
This Friday weather was great. Not too hot and dry. Spent the day at The Ridge Motorsports Park in Washington. 2nd time at this track and love it. They even have the 'corkscrew' replicating Leguna Seca. Had square set up with Goodyear F1 Supercar tires 305/30/19 all around on the Apex EC-7 11" wheels. Did 6 sessions but the last 2 never recorded due to Garmin Catalyst issues. Super frustrating if you don't know how you doing with times etc. Also had my engine light on the dash which now has cleared but one wonders why as everything looked normal. Taking it to the dealers to see if they can see anything with their code readers. This is a fast track and managed to record 01.58.00 and managed to clock 225.5kmh (140mph). Time is not that great as Mustangs have recorded much better times. But fun nevertheless.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
The Ridge looks like a fun track. Glad you had a good weekend, sorry to hear about the check engine light and Garmin issues. Looks like a fun weekend.

Hope engine light turns out to be nothing.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
While I’m there I’m going to pick up an Apache (Pelican knock off) case, so I can copy this idea…..
TBH, I just mount it a day before the event and drive with it on windshield to/from the track. This case looks great, but over time I figured that less stuff I have to unload and load on track, the better it gets.

Congrats with the new toy :like:
Sponsored