Sponsored

Mach 1 as a track car - anyone else?

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Hi All - just picked up my Mach 1 to build as a track car for my son and I to use. It’s augmenting (and potentially replacing) my 2016 GT3RS, which I’m concerned is a bit too much car for him to learn on, and with damage costs being too high if he makes a mistake.

It seems like most people are buying these cars as daily drivers or collectors items. Is anyone else planning on using one for the track?

My car is one I found locally at a dealer, picked it up on Tuesday - M1 Premium, elite package, handling package, jet-fighter grey.

Mods on the way:
- Watson rollbar (chromoly version)
- Sparco seats
- Brey Krause seat mounts
- DSC Suspension controller
- Forgeline GS1R wheels with another set of Cup 2s
- Garman Catalyst lap timer
Sponsored

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Hi All - just picked up my Mach 1 to build as a track car for my son and I to use. It’s augmenting (and potentially replacing) my 2016 GT3RS, which I’m concerned is a bit too much car for him to learn on, and with damage costs being too high if he makes a mistake.

It seems like most people are buying these cars as daily drivers or collectors items. Is anyone else planning on using one for the track?

My car is one I found locally at a dealer, picked it up on Tuesday - M1 Premium, elite package, handling package, jet-fighter grey.

Mods on the way:
- Sparco seats

Love it, should be a great car to start, as I too are looking at getting it approved for SCCA T2 class. (need 305/315 tires to be approved)

After your safety items above we need to get the weight of the M1 down to 3350lbs. with adding the Roll cage and fuel cell. Doors need to be replaced with just shell, exhaust, drive shaft, move battery to trunk. Rear window glass replaced.

Kooks long tube headers, x-pipe, and custom tune should push it over 520hp. Plus getting it to 3350lbs with 305/315's will make it very competitive.

Keep us informed on your progress.

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Then getting it to sound like this on the downshifts....awesome!

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Love it, should be a great car to start, as I too are looking at getting it approved for SCCA T2 class. (need 305/315 tires to be approved)

After your safety items above we need to get the weight of the M1 down to 3350lbs. with adding the Roll cage and fuel cell. Doors need to be replaced with just shell, exhaust, drive shaft, move battery to trunk. Rear window glass replaced.

Kooks long tube headers, x-pipe, and custom tune should push it over 520hp. Plus getting it to 3350lbs with 305/315's will make it very competitive.

Keep us informed on your progress.
3350 lbs :shock: going to need a lot more weight reduction than doors and a rear window I’m afraid!

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
3350 lbs :shock: going to need a lot more weight reduction than doors and a rear window I’m afraid!

Really, ok take out the cigarette lighter too. hahahahaha

Sponsored

OP
OP

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Well, I'm looking at making it a "track car", not a "race car". I already have one of those that seems to stay broken ('06 STI)

If I could get it to be reliable, while handing 3-4 hours of track time per day split between myself and my son, that would be awesome.

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
So the question is, how long do parts last before they fail? As a new M1 should be good for a while but all good until you're not.

When you go to the Mach 1 Track attack school, ask Ford what's failing. Assuming you're the first owner of the M1, school is free.

There are few parts, I would look at making stronger.

Rear axles half shafts (maybe invest in Ford performance $1700.00 approx).

Transmission should be ok for a while but will fail. Torsen rear end is bullet proof.

I would get rid of the resonator on the exhaust as they can pop. just put in an x-pipe.

Front and rear wheel Hubs are a question as too how long they last.

Maybe rename this thread too, With heavy Track use, what parts do I need to keep an eye on to make the M1 reliable?

Enjoy.

OP
OP

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Thanks for the advice. I’ll look into those.
Luckily no need to rename the thread as the intent was to find other owners who were planning to track it. Thankfully for my wallet, there is more to a build than just parts shopping. Setup matters.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

Mods on the way:
- Sparco seats
I got to ride with a professional driver in the same trimmed out car you mentioned except in orange on Hallett speedway in Tulsa and let me tell you it did a great job. He hung right with the GT350s in all the corners but they out powered us on the straight stretches. It was bone stock too.

Txclyde1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350#43
I drove them at Hallett and they are pretty good.I could pass almost every car on the track except a couple race cars and one GT350R. They are a good candidate for track time, just be sure you start with the HP car.An equally driven GT350 will be tough to get by but can be done.They have similar traits but they are not equal.I think it is one of the most fun cars a person could get for track fun .I also drove them at Road Atlanta .On that very fast track they were a ton of fun.They can run 160+ on the RA back straight .Again fun car!!!

Sponsored

Codeblue009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Steeda FJG Mach 1 Handling Package - 6 Speed

Mods on the way:
- Sparco seats
The minute this guy got his Mach 1, he took it to the track here in Houston.
(115) Trackside views - 2021 Mach 1 Mustang - MSR Houston CCW - 27 June 2021 - YouTube

sleepy floy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'74 Ford Bronco, '15 Jeep Wrangler

Mods on the way:
- Sparco seats
Out of curiosity, what made you decide to go from GT3RS to a Mach 1? I don't know how old your son is, but that 911 is definitely a lot of car for a youngster (or anyone for that matter). I ask because I've been cross-shopping the M1 with the M4, which I would think would be more your direction coming from that 911.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Out of curiosity, what made you decide to go from GT3RS to a Mach 1? I don't know how old your son is, but that 911 is definitely a lot of car for a youngster (or anyone for that matter). I ask because I've been cross-shopping the M1 with the M4, which I would think would be more your direction coming from that 911.
Ultimately it came down to the fact my GT3RS is a weapon on track - razor sharp handling and throttle response, and really easy to get in over your head quickly if you don’t know what you’re doing. It’s also an incredibly expensive car to replace as well as track insurance ($2k/event). Between running costs, and the fact that I felt it was over his head, I decided to get something he could learn on.

I had a GT350R before my RS, and it was a great car. In fact, my buddy bought it and uses it on track. Due to this, I thought the M1 would be a good (and cheap) track option by comparison. Setup for reliability and nearly ready to go out of the box.

Just finished up the Watson roll bar and rear seat delete install. Next are seats and harnesses, alignment and brake fluid flush. Soon it’s ready to go.

EEB62448-8229-4648-B81D-22EC86CE161C.jpeg

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
While we may have differing opinions on what's too much of a car to learn on (since I don't know your son's age, experience or ability), if it were me, I'd ditch the DSC controller, stay away from the Cup 2's, stick with the rest and learn the car as it is. When you both can run consistent lap times with the "tool" you have, then make a decision as what to change.

A tune running E85 will yield a nice gain, but you're then running fuel jugs, testing fuel, etc etc.

If you're serious enough for a DSC, ditch the stock MR and move to coil overs instead. You'll be money ahead in the long run. But in the mean time, the stock MR calibration might save your son from mistakes along the way.

Camber plates and a track alignment are a must.

Cup 2's will get greasy ... unless you're looking for that hero lap for bragging rights in the first session. Apex makes a nice wheel that is more than sufficient for what you need. I have 2 sets, both 19 & 18 x 11. 25mm wheel spacers, extended studs and a nice rotatable square setup is golden for track days. You could purchase 3 sets of Apex for the one Forgeline, with the same result, but whatever you desire.

As a disclaimer, I don't have a M1, have never driven one.
Sponsored