bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
3350 lbs :shock: going to need a lot more weight reduction than doors and a rear window I’m afraid!
Recantly PAE delivered a customer car at 2739 lbs and this was with rollcage in it fully prepped for racing 526 WHP as well is not impossible to get the car down to 3350 lbs it's just a lot of $$$.
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I had a GT350R before my RS, and it was a great car. In fact, my buddy bought it and uses it on track. Due to this, I thought the M1 would be a good (and cheap) track option by comparison. Setup for reliability and nearly ready to go out of the box.

Just finished up the Watson roll bar and rear seat delete install. Next are seats and harnesses, alignment and brake fluid flush. Soon it’s ready to go.
M1 is more an alternative to the Cayman GT4 and still I think the GT4 will be more reliable on the track. I track my GT a lot have around 600 race miles on it in 2 seasons. And this was my first car that I started tracking at the beginning was a lot of car for me in fact still is I'm 2 seconds of pace from Pro driver with my car same setup. With that in mind your build looks great to be fair out of the box Mach 1 is a great track car and it has enough tire and good tire and with proper alignment and good brake pads (R12/R10) should be amazing on track. Already seen few members onboards and the car looks amazing on track much faster than my PP1 GT that's for sure.
Your son is a lucky man.

OP
OP

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
M1 is more an alternative to the Cayman GT4 and still I think the GT4 will be more reliable on the track. I track my GT a lot have around 600 race miles on it in 2 seasons. And this was my first car that I started tracking at the beginning was a lot of car for me in fact still is I'm 2 seconds of pace from Pro driver with my car same setup. With that in mind your build looks great to be fair out of the box Mach 1 is a great track car and it has enough tire and good tire and with proper alignment and good brake pads (R12/R10) should be amazing on track. Already seen few members onboards and the car looks amazing on track much faster than my PP1 GT that's for sure.
Your son is a lucky man.
GT4 might be a better track car, and it was on the list, but it’s still over 100k and Porsche currently has a stop-sale on them.

While the M1 is a good car, I have no delusions about it being a great car - at least relative to my P-cars. The M1 is a car that if it gets damaged beyond repair on track, I’ll just toss the keys into the bushes and go buy another one. I wouldn’t feel bad about it. If my GT3RS got balled up, there would be a lot of remorse there.

I’m looking forward to the M1 on track with my son. It’s all about the experiences I get with him, not the car we do it in.

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
Hi All - just picked up my Mach 1 to build as a track car for my son and I to use. It’s augmenting (and potentially replacing) my 2016 GT3RS, which I’m concerned is a bit too much car for him to learn on, and with damage costs being too high if he makes a mistake.

It seems like most people are buying these cars as daily drivers or collectors items. Is anyone else planning on using one for the track?

My car is one I found locally at a dealer, picked it up on Tuesday - M1 Premium, elite package, handling package, jet-fighter grey.

Mods on the way:
- Watson rollbar (chromoly version)
- Sparco seats
- Brey Krause seat mounts
- DSC Suspension controller
- Forgeline GS1R wheels with another set of Cup 2s
- Garman Catalyst lap timer
It's a solid track car and certainly a good base car if you plan to "racecar" it out.

As someone posted earlier in the thread, I took our Mach 1 out to the track with about 50 miles on the odometer.

Since that time, it's done 10 track days and I've logged about 1,000 track miles on the car - it's done great and the engine temps remain pretty cool even in 95+ degree temps. It has 4 more track days coming up in the next month 😁

To be a good track car, it really does need the handling package or equivalent/better with the recaros and proper alignment. Ours was a base car with recaros that I fully converted over to the handling package specs. I elected to go with Vorshlag camber plates over the Ford ones (WORTH IT). Also, I went with GLoc R12 Front/R10 Rear pads - the brakes feel great! I recommend adding an oil/air separator - I put the Ford Performance one on ours about 500 miles ago.

My first 4 track days with the car was with it in "base" form and it was fun, but the handling package completely changed it for the better and I'll never look back.

"Base" Form at the track:
m1martd.jpg

Converted to HP Specs at the track:
m1juntd.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
It's a solid track car and certainly a good base car if you plan to "racecar" it out.

As someone posted earlier in the thread, I took our Mach 1 out to the track with about 50 miles on the odometer.

Since that time, it's done 10 track days and I've logged about 1,000 track miles on the car - it's done great and the engine temps remain pretty cool even in 95+ degree temps. It has 4 more track days coming up in the next month 😁

To be a good track car, it really does need the handling package or equivalent/better with the recaros and proper alignment. Ours was a base car with recaros that I fully converted over to the handling package specs. I elected to go with Vorshlag camber plates over the Ford ones (WORTH IT). Also, I went with GLoc R12 Front/R10 Rear pads - the brakes feel great! I recommend adding an oil/air separator - I put the Ford Performance one on ours about 500 miles ago.

My first 4 track days with the car was with it in "base" form and it was fun, but the handling package completely changed it for the better and I'll never look back.

m1martd.jpg

m1juntd.jpg
Great feedback! I’m looking forward to getting it on track. Graying to find rear tires is a problem right now though. I can’t find them in 315/30 psc2 anywhere.

which air/oil separator did you get?

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Great feedback! I’m looking forward to getting it on track. Graying to find rear tires is a problem right now though. I can’t find them in 315/30 psc2 anywhere.

I’ve got a set with 35 miles on them if are interested. About as new as you can get short of ordering from the tire shop :wink:

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I got the Ford Performance M-6766-A50A oil/air separator. Super easy install, great fit.

Note that there is another similar model with a similar part number of M-6766-A50 that is for 2011-2017 coyotes - make sure you do not get that one, as it is kinda easy to miss. The mounting points are different between the two.

Also, 325/30/R19 will fit the rear if that size is available. That's what I currently have since the PS4S is not offered yet in the 315/30/R19.

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5

m1martd.jpg

m1juntd.jpg
Are you concerned at all with the stock rear axles? Only reason I ask is years ago, I saw 2015 GT350R (one of the first 37) get totaled at Road America, and I thought the reason was rear axle snapped. (he had 19 track days on the car)

I was about to pass him and his car suddenly took a sharp right off the track under acceleration (approx 100mph+) and hit the wall hard. No steering input rather something broke, if not half-shaft then rear suspension.

I just figured that's why Ford came out with the performance half-shaft part, shortly after.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I got the Ford Performance M-6766-A50A oil/air separator. Super easy install, great fit.

Note that there is another similar model with a similar part number of M-6766-A50 that is for 2011-2017 coyotes - make sure you do not get that one, as it is kinda easy to miss. The mounting points are different between the two.

Also, 325/30/R19 will fit the rear if that size is available. That's what I currently have since the PS4S is not offered yet in the 315/30/R19.
I have the 325’s also but just an FYI the 315’s are now available.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....R9PS4SXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you concerned at all with the stock rear axles? Only reason I ask is years ago, I saw 2015 GT350R (one of the first 37) get totaled at Road America, and I thought the reason was rear axle snapped. (he had 19 track days on the car)

I was about to pass him and his car suddenly took a sharp right off the track under acceleration (approx 100mph+) and hit the wall hard. No steering input rather something broke, if not half-shaft then rear suspension.

I just figured that's why Ford came out with the performance half-shaft part, shortly after.
It's interesting that you brought this up because it is one area that I started looking into possibly "beefing up" a few weeks ago. I suspect the axle shafts on these Mach 1s are the same as what came on the recent GT350 - in which case I am not too concerned since I am only running 300TW tires, haven't boosted the power and don't do hard launches/drag runs.

Nonetheless, I have seen how prevalent the failure issue seems to be with the 15-17 axles (though I believe Ford tried to mitigate the problem with a fatter driver side axle in the 18+ GT). If the axles on the Mach 1 are in fact the same as what is offered on the GT, I will change them out for piece of mind.

I've been in discussions with Ford Performance to confirm what axles these Mach 1s have on them (GT350 equivalent or GT or other/Mach 1 specific). So far, they have only been able to confirm that the base and handling package Mach 1s have the same axle shafts and are looking into the rest. I'll post my findings when I have a response.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
I know plenty of people who track their 5.0s and I have never heard of someone breaking their axle. I have 40+ track days and my GT is fine.

767.mph

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stromspeed.com
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
1965 FFR Cobra, ‘21 Mustang Mach-1
Perfect thread! Just put in my M1 order today! Tired of all my PP2 heat issues (diff, mis-fire, trans float, etc, etc)
My M1 build is just for track duty when the Cobra is down. Can’t wait. Looking forward to mods as well.
We get a Track day at Ford Perf School?
1E0BD8EA-0E77-4B3D-AB23-9EDD37966EC7.jpeg

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),