N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
That's a fair statement, but so far you have sided with the company without even knowing their side, other than what OP has told you. Which is not fair.
I asked him to post there side. IF it's in fact the case, I'll eat crow on it no problem.
Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Once you modify the stock tune, 100% stock drivability goes out the window. Live with it, learn to tune yourself or leave it stock.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Once you modify the stock tune, 100% stock drivability goes out the window. Live with it, learn to tune yourself or leave it stock.
You don't modify the stock tune

I can't speak for OP, but I was tuned by another well known tuner and the drivability was horrible. Cold bucking, car randomly dieing after doing a pull and then going to neutral, and a intermittent stumble at idle.

Email tunes are extremely overpriced for what you are getting, they throw you a canned tune based off other cars and if you have issues, they go MIA or act like it's an issue with your car even tho the car was fine before the tune.

I understand the OP's frustration

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I'll eat crow on it no problem.
And actually I'm not a LUND nutrider. Alex said with a 3.31 gear and 28" slicks my 60's would fall on its face. It most certainly did not. In fact, it raped my previous 60 fts (with 27" drag radials).

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Since he gave you false information, Why do you defend him like he is your brother?

I don't remember the exact number, but the best effective gear reduction for a standing start is between 10 and 12 to 1

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Since he gave you false information, Why do you defend him like he is your brother
I only defended his youtube show & the tune. He also recommended getting 3.73 gears. Which I agree with, and did.
IMG_20200917_142826_188.jpg

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Isn’t ford perf tune thing setup for 4.09 gears and guaranteed to work keeps warrantee and has cal EO number. Why mess with anything else?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Because ford has dropped the ball! And let everybody hanging!
Also you can more than double the power increase at a fraction of the cost if tuning for e. That is another reason for some people where e is readily available. Pros and cons to either route.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
4.09 is equivalent overall ratios to a 3.73 on a 15-17 car
3.73 in a 15-17 is still more aggressive than a 4.09 in a 18+

28" tires / 7000 rpm shift

4.09 18+
1st 44
2nd 68
3rd 100
4th 143 <- that's gonna hurt the 1/4 mile.

3.73 15-17
1st 43
2nd 62
3rd 93
4th 118

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
This is probably not gonna be a popular opinion but personally i think the whole canned tune thing is a borderline scam. Gave it a shot on two other platforms in the past. One couldn't get any gains whatsoever on the dyno. The other made my car ran worse and couldn't fix it (stock tune was perfect). Both were big name tuners on their respective platforms.

Modern ECUs are smart and the guys who design them smarter than your tuner. And on a NA car running pump gas there just isn't much to gain.

I think the whole tune thing is just too easy a money maker and for a lot of these guys it's all about volume. Imagine duplicating the same file hundreds, thousands of times. Takes no work but racks up $$$.

Once you've made your purchase most of these guys rarely have any desire to do actual work or troubleshooting when the one-size-fits all tune happens to not work so well on your car. Sure they can be friendly and courteous, some even give you the illusion of being "custom" with some "revisions" but that's mostly fluff.

Some guys will rave about them but I think they're just justifying their purchase and possibly fooled by aggressive throttle mapping and raised redlines.

That's just my opinion and experience. And for the record I have no experience whatsoever with Lund.

But forget that and let's pretend those tunes do work: When you have 460 something horsepower and add 10 or 15, are you really going to feel a mere ~3% increase?
On the dyno that's probably with the margin of error between runs.
Agree 100% with this reply, well said.. my fav is the E85 flex tune butt dyno “seat of the pants!” +17rwhp HaHa Get outta here!

In a few years the only signal to monitor will be battery consumption anyway. All this non-sense will go away like the foam containers the Big Mac used to come in the 80s.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
the E85 flex tune butt dyno “seat of the pants!” +17rwhp HaHa Get outta here!
I would say anyone that only gets 17whp out of tuning for e over stock tune either had a very conservative tune or very low e content fuel. That is extremely low and at that point may as well consider the Ford Performance kit.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Good feedback in this thread and I appreciate hearing both “sides” of this.

Asking for a favor here: please try not to make this this personal. I get that this is a passionate hobby but I strongly believe that this would be much more productive conversation if we could leave pride out of it.

A few points that I just want to state again or clarify:

I titled this thread with a "C+" and I meant that. IMO, they don't deserve an "F" and some minimal effort was made to do more than the bare minimum.

Lund has done a good job for people running E85, forced induction, etc. Many folks are vocally happy with their service. This is great to hear and this reputation is why I looked them up to begin with. I have confidence that this reputation was earned but my experience was one of a different flavor.

All of my interactions with Lund reps have been polite and prompt. The only personality that in my own opinion is objectionable is Alex YDB guy. He has every right to act however he wants. I don't doubt his knowledge or talents...his attitude may be a show and he could be professional mature adult and a perfect gentleman in his personal life. I seriously doubt it but he has the benefit of the doubt from me only because I don't care all that much...only that it's an undeniably a bad look for a company that relies on customer confidence and faith in how seriously they take their jobs in order to make sales.

As for Lund's side of the conversation, there are no surprises to report. They were honest with me and at least responded to my questions even if these responses were frustrating.

My mediocre, unenthusiastic feeling on how well my money was spent was based on a couple points:

1) My initial conversation found zero hesitation in their statement that rev matching would be fully functional with the Lund tune. It turns out that yes, it is functional but it's out of tune enough to be slightly annoying and they claim to have no ability to adjust for it.

2) their Performance Tune product is improperly represented. The rep with whom I have been working was very frank in saying that with 93 octane, there are virtually no gains to be had. You guts all act like this is common knowledge. They did too with no apologies. So what exactly are they selling? For someone who just wanted to tune a stock car, would they decline their money? I get the feeling they happily take their money but I would be very happy to be proven wrong on this.

My personal expectation for the performance tune weren't particularly high. Yes, I assumed they could make adjustments to take better advantage of 93. What I didn't expect was for the car to feel SLOWER. I left the door open for this being in my head or due to other factors but I don't get the sense that my data logs were looked at. No specific observations were shared. The concern was brushed off entirely.

3) OK so if the customer should know things before buying the performance tune, then why didn't they believe me when I was on the right track with troubleshooting and they were wrong? They straight up wasted my time because they assumed they knew better than me.

4) They have no compunctions about saying a flat "NO" to a customer to a request that I firmly believe is reasonable or deserves an explanation. As someone who isn't a fanboi to this company, that instantly gives me the who the eff are you? reaction and inspires me to start a thread.

So the tuner claims that they just gave up. They tried it all and the cannot tune the rev match software. I suggested that if they can't directly modify the rev match, the software obviously uses predictions of wheelspeed based on tire circumference and gear ratios...two parameters that they can change...so can you please try? I believe that the over rev could be tuned out by altering these inputs. The reply was literally "did you try changing it yourself?" I don't think it was intended to sound disrespectful but it pissed me off enough that I haven't responded.

No, I am not an expert (and my self esteem is not tied to my ability to tune these cars)...I'm also not an idiot. I have used FORScan and I tried messing around with it exhaustively to fix the ratio problem for myself. What I discovered on my own is that not enough is documented for the 2020 cars yet to fix this problem...basically, I knew that the gear ratio value was assigned at a different address because changing the accepted address (for 2018-2019 cars)screwed up other stuff...

...basically, I learned enough to see that I needed help to get my daily driver back on the road. A reputable tuner said they could fix it. The experience fell far short of living up to the premise that lead to the purchase.

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
2) their Performance Tune product is improperly represented. The rep with whom I have been working was very frank in saying that with 93 octane, there are virtually no gains to be had. You guts all act like this is common knowledge. They did too with no apologies. So what exactly are they selling? For someone who just wanted to tune a stock car, would they decline their money? I get the feeling they happily take their money but I would be very happy to be proven wrong on this.
Very little gains with just a tune for sure, cause Ford frankly had it pretty maxed out with stock components. With a CAI (pmas / jlt) / LTH / FFE (free flow exhaust), it's more than just 'little gain' w/ the 93 tune. <- that's also common knowledge. You can contact AED, PBD, they'll tell you the same thing. Hope your gear issues get resolved. Apologies too if my previous comments seemed harsh. Wasn't my intent. Cheers.
Sponsored