N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think they shut off any of the emissions and sensors anyways though right?
Correct :) PM me for further info ;)
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Well you go out and spend a 100G R&D'ing & vetting tunes
A good business owner will use the tax code to write off as much as possible and when a new model comes out will sell off the old mule. If he knows what he is doing the cost to the shop is zero or damn close to it.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
So, for those who support people like Lund locking the tune, I have a serious question. Do you also support Ford locking everyone out of their PCM? If not, what's the difference? I can assure you that Ford spent a lot more developing that calibration than all aftermarket tuners combined.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Do you also support Ford locking everyone out of their PCM?
It would be very easy for Ford to do so. But they seen they aftermarket support for the Mustang, & basically said "have at it boys & girls".

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I’d love to learn how to tune my own car. I think what we’ll see are many more home tuners or individuals tuning a few cars. I do agree though, I think all the tuners out there lock their tunes for various reasons - many of which have already been said.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I have an X4 and will be going with AED this spring
non-paranoid tuners do not encrypt the ECU. So you can load as many tunes from as many vendors as you like. Somehow all these other "2-bit" operators aren't going bankrupt from all the rampant IP theft. Which undercuts the LUND assertions. I mean it's their prerogative but this is why I won't give LUND my money. Ever.

Ford can do as they damn well please. If they want to kill off the aftermarket they can do so trivially. VW and GM are making it increasingly difficult but that doesn't stop the reverse engineering necessarily. Push come to shove you put on an 'in-line' tuner that's been done for ages in the motorcycle space or you just rip out the ECU and go 3rd-party and get familiar with Mega-Squirt or something similar.

Last edited:

Dapepper9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
So, for those who support people like Lund locking the tune, I have a serious question. Do you also support Ford locking everyone out of their PCM? If not, what's the difference? I can assure you that Ford spent a lot more developing that calibration than all aftermarket tuners combined.
You mean like Toyota has done for nearly the last 15 years?

Mghoward74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
S550
As far as “Ford” locking their ecu’s, someone will always be able to hack them. Example, look at Tesla.

As far as Lund encryption or what not, it makes sense from a business stand point. But what happens if Lund decides to close it doors? A lot of customers will be S.O.L., with no way of future modding or going back to stock. This is one reason I think locking tunes are a no no.

On the other hand I do favor locking tunes because there will be that 1 or 2 individuals that’ll go behind a tuner and try to change the file. If the car is damaged, they can re-upload the Lund tune and then blame the tuner for the damage.

it’s catch 22. Who wants to be told what to do with something they paid for? Not me!

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
On the other hand I do favor locking tunes because there will be that 1 or 2 individuals that’ll go behind a tuner and try to change the file. If the car is damaged, they can re-upload the Lund tune and then blame the tuner for the damage.
you'd never win that lawsuit.

Mghoward74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
S550
you'd never win that lawsuit.
True.
Play at your own risk! That’s why tuners make you sign That Form releasing all liability.

Last edited:

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
But, should the device get lost or fail at some point, a dealer can't flash your locked pcm back to stock...
That is only if you are tuned by Lund. None of the other tuners encrypt the ECM, just the tune.

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
That is only if you are tuned by Lund. None of the other tuners encrypt the ECM, just the tune.
In this case yes, but it’s the same for any locked PCM. If someone locks your PCM to keep other tuners out, they are keeping the dealer out as well. Ask all the GM guys who went to some random tuner to get their car tuned, then the guy locks the PCM, the next time they make some changes to the car, nobody can get in to do anything to it.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I have a question. I’m tuned by Lund with the nGauge. Are you saying that I can’t go to a different shop and have my car tuned unless I have the stock tune and convert back to it first?

I thought a new tune would just overwrite the current tune.

Sorry... a little confused.
Sponsored