Lug nuts

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Has there been any issues with the Mustang lug nuts like what’s happen with the Escapes and other models.
Sponsored

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Avoid using an impact gun on the oem nuts and you will probably be fine. Otherwise the torque wrench will distort the decorative cover and you will run into problems with distortion of the cover and lug wrenches that no longer fit the nut properly. I replaced mine with McGuard solid, one piece lug nuts and problem solved.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, they're sort of craptacular. If you remove them a few times, like @barron64 pointed out, they get a little banged up, and I had a couple the last time I removed mine (a few years ago), that were a huge PITA to get off (wound up having to hammer a smaller socket on them, and then deal with removing the lug from the socket ... ugh ...)

It's a steel lug with like an aluminum cosmetic cap, and it's the latter than gets easily deformed. I look at it this way, a set of much better lugs is cheap, plus you can do something aesthetically different, like black, or a really wild color - heck, I'm running Monster opened ended that allow the use of little screw in end caps in different colors, looks pretty cool:

upload_2020-2-5_8-0-33.png

Sponsored

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
McGuard lug nuts are American made and very good quality and lifetime warranty. The Gorilla lug nuts are made in Taiwan and are also very good quality. Avoid Chinese made anything btw.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
McGuard lug nuts are American made and very good quality and lifetime warranty. The Gorilla lug nuts are made in Taiwan and are also very good quality. Avoid Chinese made anything btw.
FYI, Monster are a product of Makin Industries and are manufactured using 50BV30 forged steel (and have been used on/off track by owners of Corvettes, Vipers, etc.) Just wanted to qualify in case anyone reading this wasn't familiar with the brand :)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you remove and reinstall wheels with any regularity the Ford lug nuts will deform and need to be replaced. They aren't very durable.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Has there been any issues with the Mustang lug nuts like what’s happen with the Escapes and other models.

Yes, all of the S550’s have the POS Ford lugs...

Which is cheap metal covered in a “chrome” aluminum cap. The caps can fall off, they are easily damaged when removing or reinstalling and if any moisture gets under the cap, the cap will swell due to the metal creating a chemical reaction between it and the aluminum cap. Ford is aware of the problem.

If your lugs have become prematurely damaged, they are covered under the 3/36 (on my prior 2016 S550, all 20 lugs were replaced by Ford under warranty for the very issues noted)

There is actually an active Class Action Lawsuit against Ford regarding those lugs (search on this site for the thread with the info and join if you haven’t).

Be very careful, if the factory lugs have deteriorated, torque readings will be FALSE... because in some instances when torquing the lug, the cap will spin instead of the actual lug nut.

Replace with aftermarket choices that are SOLID lugs, not capped lugs.

Link to review with class action link:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/one-piece-lug-nuts.111648/#post-2374048

RedEcoJet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jerryallgire.com
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ecoboost - Pre-Production #280 Product Planning & Styling Vehicle
Vehicle Showcase
I painted mine satin black. Looks good IMHO.

Jerry
IMG_20191026_121708320~2.jpg

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Ford is aware of the problem.
and has done fk all about it despite knowing about it for at least 3 years, say? There's your commitment to quality right there.

I use Monster 33006 series

perricj64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I've been looking for replacement lug nuts that match my factory wheels. The only choices I've seen are either chrome or black. Chrome is much shinier than the original ones so don't match my wheels. Anyone know of any other options?

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
and has done fk all about it despite knowing about it for at least 3 years, say? There's your commitment to quality right there.

I use Monster 33006 series
Three years? Just like the hood corrosion issue, this issue has been around for 15 years or more. My 2006 GT had the same exact style lug, and they all deteriorated until I replaced them with one-piece lugs.

But this is the same company that put two-piece spark plugs that were supposed to be good for 100k miles, which either welded themselves in place due to corrosion, or didn't have enough threads, and shot themselves out of the head.

JR

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
FYI, Monster are a product of Makin Industries and are manufactured using 50BV30 forged steel (and have been used on/off track by owners of Corvettes, Vipers, etc.) Just wanted to qualify in case anyone reading this wasn't familiar with the brand :)
Got a link to these? Maybe they have a nice red color to match my RR...