Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hi guys,

I ordered a set of black lug nuts, which were supposed to be compatible to 2019 Mustangs, so I assumed they should work on 2020 as well. But I guess Ford changed the design in 2020, because here's how they look versus my OEM ones:

Left: new nut (2019-compatible). Right: OEM nut (2020)
IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

The thread is the same, the angle of the cone is the same, the overall length doesn't bother me, but what really worries me is the height of the cone. It's obvious that the OEM nut has a bigger contact surface.
So, I guess they wouldn't be safe to use with my wheels, would they?

Normally I would consider them incompatible and throw them away, but what keeps me from doing that, and made me start this thread, is that I see such short-coned lug nuts offered for the 2020 MY as well. For example here:

https://www.steeda.com/gorilla-26143bc-s550-black-lug-nut-kit

I trust Steeda. If they say those lug nuts are compatible with any S550, including the 2020 MY, then that's most likely true.
So, before I throw these away, can you please confirm whether they would be safe to use, considering the difference that you can see in the pictures?

Thank you.
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I would say those black lugs are more meant for aftermarket wheels with smaller lug holes where the OEM lug nut is too large to fit.
^ this. Many (most?) aftermarket wheels have narrower lug nut holes and cone seats.

Gorilla makes some full size black replacements which are really good quality. I wouldn’t use the narrower ones on stock wheels except in a pinch.

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That makes sense. Indeed, if I read Steeda's description more carefully, they actually mention that the slim design is aimed at aftermarket wheels.

Slim design. No more scratching your wheels or damaging the finish of aftermarket wheels when installing or removing lug nuts. The small diameter lug nuts provide added clearance between the wheel and the socket to ensure that your wheels stay looking like new. Some aftermarket wheels require the small diameter lug nuts for proper fitment.
OK, that's settled then. I won't use them.
Thank you. :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
But that does beg the question: why is the smaller contact surface safe with aftermarket wheels? Why do OEM wheels need fatter lug nuts?

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
But that does beg the question: why is the smaller contact surface safe with aftermarket wheels? Why do OEM wheels need fatter lug nuts?
They should be fine with your OEM (if im not mistaken, idk never used the OEM wheels.)

It doesnt state they are ONLY safe for aftermarket, it means that aftermarket requires that style in order for the lug nut to fit/not damage wheel while torquing it.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Probably because of the amount of power that the cars have? I don’t know. More surface area holding down the wheels maybe?

You’d think they go for a bigger spacing instead of 5x114.3. I know most Hondas are 5x114.3 yet the Civic Type R is 5x120. Would be interested to know Honda’s reasoning towards that.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
You’d think they go for a bigger spacing instead of 5x114.3. I know most Hondas are 5x114.3 yet the Civic Type R is 5x120. Would be interested to know Honda’s reasoning towards that.
Reasoning is re-using Acura NSX parts. LOL.

Wheel is held up by clamp and friction against the hub. Surface contact area on the lug doesn't matter that much as long as it is sufficient enough to transfer the clamp of the joint into the wheel without yielding / surface cracking. Those lugs are fine.

Sponsored

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Reasoning is re-using Acura NSX parts. LOL.

Wheel is held up by clamp and friction against the hub. Surface contact area on the lug doesn't matter that much as long as it is sufficient enough to transfer the clamp of the joint into the wheel without yielding / surface cracking. Those lugs are fine.
Good to know

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Thank you all for your replies. :like:

In the meantime I did some reading. Apparently there's a name for those fat lug nuts: they're called bulge nuts, or nuts with a bulged cone. And the purpose of bulged cone lug nuts seems to be just aesthetical, namely to fill the bigger holes of OEM wheels better from a visual point of view. In fact, they do not contact the wheel on the entire surface of the cone, as I first thought. Indeed, if I look at the OEM lug nuts I can see a clear line where they actually press on the edge of the hole:

IMG_1030.png

Only the tip of the cone, from that line upwards, is actually in contact with the inner wall of the hole in the rim. And that tip is the exact same size as the entire cone of the non-bulged lug nuts.
So I think I was worrying for nothing. I decided to install them after all.

For pictures see my journal, here:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/my-red-pony.149009/page-3#post-3052638

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
You don’t have an impact gun to take the lugs on and off?

I use mine to take them off and when I put them on I use the lowest setting on my impact gun to tighten them so they stay in place then I’ll torque them with a torque wrench.

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Getting them off is easy. I've got a 2 ft breaker bar which works like a treat.
Putting them on is also easy. Takes a few seconds more than it would with an impact gun, but it's OK.
But torquing them to 204 Nm is exhausting. My Mondeo took 135 Nm, that was realatively easy, but 204 is a lot. :shock:
Sponsored