LTH Fumes question

Velocityblue5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
So I just recently had a local shop install a set of Texas Speed LTH (catless) 1-7/8 to a MBRP Race Cat-Back 3" diameter piping.The shop used the included clamps to secure the piping in place. Im passed the break in period of new exhaust smells but am wondering how strong is too strong for exhaust fumes? Im running bamas 91 performance tune (yes I know bama, will be going with AED soon). I know it's normal to have exhaust fumes in cabin while at a stop but when driving how much smell would you consider normal? Sometimes I can smell light fume strength while driving and at others none. First time in a cat-less car so might be a rookie question but any help would be appreciated. Would Tack welds reduce some of this smell? I'm just concerned about possible exhaust leaks otherwise it doesn't bother me , will be going E-85 soon so ill be smelling that instead!!
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I grew up with cat less cars, never smelled anything. My mustang with cats stinks to high heaven after a WOT run. Might be the aerodynamics sucking air from behind the car into the cabin. None of my other cars or trucks do this.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
All that is due to the lack of cats. No amount of welding or sealing will remove the smell.

You might be able to reduce it with finetuning of the cam events at idle to reduce overlap, but it will never go completely away without installing some cats in the pipe.

OP
OP
Velocityblue5oh

Velocityblue5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
All that is due to the lack of cats. No amount of welding or sealing will remove the smell.

You might be able to reduce it with finetuning of the cam events at idle to reduce overlap, but it will never go completely away without installing some cats in the pipe.
Good to know! I knew going catless would produce smell but didn't realize how much was considered normal or not normal! Appreciate the response!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The whole idea of the exhaust system is to keep the fumes out of the cabin.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Velocityblue5oh

Velocityblue5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
I grew up with cat less cars, never smelled anything. My mustang with cats stinks to high heaven after a WOT run. Might be the aerodynamics sucking air from behind the car into the cabin. None of my other cars or trucks do this.
Tell me about it, I'll get out of the car and my shirt will smell like exhaust if I've been hard on her for too long! My uncle who is older actually told me the Same thing about his vehicles back in the day and said the stand is the first catless car where he will actually get sick from smelling gasses for too long haha

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You should NOT have fumes in the cabin, catless or not. I had catless LTH's on my Shelby and did have fumes in the car but it was due to the gaskets being shot. Got new gaskets and zero fumes in the car. You have leaks. No way should you smell fumes on your clothes.

20201113_133938.jpg

20201113_133936.jpg

20201113_133917.jpg

OP
OP
Velocityblue5oh

Velocityblue5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
You should NOT have fumes in the cabin, catless or not. I had catless LTH's on my Shelby and did have fumes in the car but it was due to the gaskets being shot. Got new gaskets and zero fumes in the car. You have leaks. No way should you smell fumes on your clothes.

20201113_133938.jpg

20201113_133936.jpg

20201113_133917.jpg
O shoot, Ive heard people having troubles with the aftermarket included gaskets compared to stock. Which brand of gaskets did you end up going with?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I use Permatex Ultra Copper RTV on my LT's. No gaskets. No smells in cabin. (while driving)

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I know it's normal to have exhaust fumes in cabin while at a stop
With respect, I disagree.

No car, no setup, should have fumes in the cabin; the exhaust is carbon monoxide, among other things.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
With respect, I disagree.

No car, no setup, should have fumes in the cabin; the exhaust is carbon monoxide, among other things.
What he means, is that while at a stop with windows down, exhaust can easily make its way into the cabin. More pronounced without cats obviously.

OP
OP
Velocityblue5oh

Velocityblue5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
What he means, is that while at a stop with windows down, exhaust can easily make its way into the cabin. More pronounced without cats obviously.
Exactly! With the windows down at a stop I can smell exhaust enter the cabin especially on a hotter day w no crosswinds! While in motion I hardly smell anything (but will occasionally get a wiff of exhaust) with windows up and driving it is definitely less pronounced but still on occasion get a smell. It’s my first off-road setup so I was wondering if this was normal or if it’s an exhaust leak.

OP
OP
Velocityblue5oh

Velocityblue5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
So I did pop the hood yesterday to sniff the engine bay near the headers while the car was running and it smells like normal heat so im unsure if the leak is at that location or not. The back of the car smells obviously. The car is not my daily driver but I’ll take it out sometime this week and drive with both the windows down and up. If I get a lot of cabin smell with the windows up I’ll let you guys know and take it to my buddies shop.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Exactly! With the windows down at a stop I can smell exhaust enter the cabin especially on a hotter day w no crosswinds! While in motion I hardly smell anything (but will occasionally get a wiff of exhaust) with windows up and driving it is definitely less pronounced but still on occasion get a smell. It’s my first off-road setup so I was wondering if this was normal or if it’s an exhaust leak.
I do get a faint hint of smell at speeds under 50mph occasionally with the windows down only though.