Loud cold start solutions?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just tried a cheap and highly effective solution suggested by another member: pool noodles.

For my 3" exhaust, I got a 3" solid pool noodle, cut 8" long pieces, and drilled some 1/2" through holes in it to let exhaust out. It's quieter than stock. For 2.5" exhausts, you can find noodles with a hole already in them.
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Go back to stock mufflers and get electric cutouts

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
If you get headers, you're going to need a tune regardless.
You actually don’t. Between the ECU seeing any increased airflow rate through the MAF sensor, and closed loop fueling targeting a commanded lambda, there’s zero reason for a retune.....Fuel type (timing changes), injectors, boost (again timing changes usually), cams, etc are usually the only thing that would REQUIRE recalibration.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You actually don’t. Between the ECU seeing any increased airflow rate through the MAF sensor, and closed loop fueling targeting a commanded lambda, there’s zero reason for a retune.....Fuel type (timing changes), injectors, boost (again timing changes usually), cams, etc are usually the only thing that would REQUIRE recalibration.
Go ahead and run that stock tune with long tubes and let me know how it works out for you.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Vibrants help. I also find cold starts on ff / e are much more mellow than when on pump 91.

Bmac's solution is pretty ingenious. There was another user on here that created a DIY solution of like a coffee can size foam thing they slipped over. Both pretty simple but seek to address the issue.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just tried a cheap and highly effective solution suggested by another member: pool noodles.

For my 3" exhaust, I got a 3" solid pool noodle, cut 8" long pieces, and drilled some 1/2" through holes in it to let exhaust out. It's quieter than stock. For 2.5" exhausts, you can find noodles with a hole already in them.
Here's a video.

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase

Poseidon RRT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium PP, 2018 RAM 2500 Megacab Cummins 6.7L
Here's a video.

have you had any issues with throwing codes?? Does this still provide enough flow where there will not be any back pressure problems.
I really may have to use this idea as I live around quite a few retired folks.

Poseidon RRT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium PP, 2018 RAM 2500 Megacab Cummins 6.7L
If you get headers, you're going to need a tune regardless and the tuner can tune out the obnoxious cold start. I start my car in the garage and wait about 10 seconds before opening it because it doesn't take long to go down to a soft idle when backing out. Aside from the first loud noise when it starts, that's all it is.
how well does this work for you? I have a fairly insulated garage and could potentially do the same thing. not sure if a DIY baffle system is all that safe either.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
have you had any issues with throwing codes?? Does this still provide enough flow where there will not be any back pressure problems.
I really may have to use this idea as I live around quite a few retired folks.
Not a single issue. There's enough exhaust flow coming from the holes I drilled to not cause excessive back pressure at all. You do need to get them in there tight as they'll pop out on initial start up and fly halfway down the driveway LOL. Once running the gasses are flowing through them fine.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
how well does this work for you? I have a fairly insulated garage and could potentially do the same thing. not sure if a DIY baffle system is all that safe either.
Well, no one has bitched in my HOA facebook page or to me directly when I leave at 6 am so it must be working. :)

kiszl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Tripple Yellow 2015 GT
Here's a video.

This is so hilarious but brilliant haha. Kudos to you for coming up with this. I saw someone do a variant of this where they would have like a cluster of towels taped together and slide it over their exhaust for cold starts but this seems more efficient.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
How do you keep them from blowing out? I have 4 exhaust tips and 1-2 of them blow right out the back every time I cold start. My pool noodles are cut to 15 inches each and shoved in there pretty good and tight with a twisting motion. It would certainly work good if all 4 stayed in. I can hear how much sound is deadened as I pull out the other noodles that stayed in.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
How do you keep them from blowing out? I have 4 exhaust tips and 1-2 of them blow right out the back every time I cold start. My pool noodles are cut to 15 inches each and shoved in there pretty good and tight with a twisting motion.
Sometimes one does, sometimes not. The noodle is a bit oversized so it's tight. Maybe drill more holes to reduce restriction a little more. They reduce noise dramatically.
Sponsored