Loud clunk from park to reverse

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80 201A
When I shift from Park to Reverse, I hear a clunk from the car. It is a 2019 Mustang GT with 10 speed automatic transmission. I only have 1000 miles on it. Is this normal?
Sponsored

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Sounds like a bad U Joint to me - I've got 2500 miles on mine and no noises.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Yes.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Mine does it if I rev it in park and then put it into gear. Mine will also buck it I rev it in neutral and put it back into drive.

A clunk would be normal. I jump or bucking needs a kam reset or software update done if the car bucks right after startup and is put into gear.

Drive it and it should loosen things up over time.

aparkins30

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Mine does it if I rev it in park and then put it into gear. Mine will also buck it I rev it in neutral and put it back into drive.

A clunk would be normal. I jump or bucking needs a kam reset or software update done if the car bucks right after startup and is put into gear.

Why would you rev it from neutral to drive, or park to drive? Sounds like that would be really hard on the transmission.

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Why would you rev it from neutral to drive, or park to drive? Sounds like that would be really hard on the transmission.

I always let it return to idle before putting into gear. Just noticed when I take it out of gear rev it and put backing gear it jerks a little.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Should have got the slower manual transmission, it doesn't clu…….wait, yeah it clunks a lot actually. Were you on an incline at all? Did you use the parking brake? When in park and on even a slight incline and not using the E brake, the weight of the car will rest on the park gear and when you move it to reverse it'll clunk. Always better to use the E brake for this reason. Doesn't apply here but in older cars, it would also help keep the rear drum brakes adjusted properly.

OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
Should have got the slower manual transmission, it doesn't clu…….wait, yeah it clunks a lot actually. Were you on an incline at all? Did you use the parking brake? When in park and on even a slight incline and not using the E brake, the weight of the car will rest on the park gear and when you move it to reverse it'll clunk. Always better to use the E brake for this reason. Doesn't apply here but in older cars, it would also help keep the rear drum brakes adjusted properly.

Yes, good point! I put the ebreak first and then shift it to park. It’s in a flat garage actually.

OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)

You definitely are a spirited driver! I hope it loosens over time for me.

OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like a bad U Joint to me - I've got 2500 miles on mine and no noises.
I will check with the dealer then! Thanks!

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You definitely are a spirited driver! I hope it loosens over time for me.
I really wouldn’t worry about things to much. These forums are terrible for sowing doubt and uncertainty about cars and problems.

If there is something wrong it will get worse. I understand it is new and shinny but dropping the worry and remembering you have a 3/36 that covers everything. There is also a lemon law that should be 2/24 if things get really bad.

They produce thousands of these things. The failure rate is pretty low on these cars even though seeing all the crap spewed around here would lead someone to believe that is not the case.

This is referred to as a sampling problem. No one talks about how their car worked today with no problems. Only the opposite.

If you can figure out a way to drop the worry it makes the experience with this car much better. I went though this also so I am not trying to be a hypocrite.

Nikujaga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
When I shift from Park to Reverse, I hear a clunk from the car. It is a 2019 Mustang GT with 10 speed automatic transmission. I only have 1000 miles on it. Is this normal?
I had the same issue. Dealer did a software update which completely solved the problem. Now it is buttery smooth shifting P,R,D and also while driving, especially downshifts.

OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
I really wouldn’t worry about things to much. These forums are terrible for sowing doubt and uncertainty about cars and problems.

If there is something wrong it will get worse. I understand it is new and shinny but dropping the worry and remembering you have a 3/36 that covers everything. There is also a lemon law that should be 2/24 if things get really bad.

They produce thousands of these things. The failure rate is pretty low on these cars even though seeing all the crap spewed around here would lead someone to believe that is not the case.

This is referred to as a sampling problem. No one talks about how their car worked today with no problems. Only the opposite.

If you can figure out a way to drop the worry it makes the experience with this car much better. I went though this also so I am not trying to be a hypocrite.
Okay, thanks so much for
I had the same issue. Dealer did a software update which completely solved the problem. Now it is buttery smooth shifting P,R,D and also while driving, especially downshifts.
I will look forward to that! Thanks for sharing!

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
My 17GT did this when new but it went away after 2000 miles.
Sponsored