Loose Rear-end Sensation (especially when accelerating)

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes & Chassis' started by JayHij, Jul 8, 2019.

1. JayHij

JayHij Active Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 2.3L Turbo Premium Mustang Convertible (almost FBO and FP Tune)
    0   0   0
    So to get right into it, I have a good amount of work done suspension wise, I started off with

• Eibach Sportline lowering springs all around,
    • Yellow Koni Sport front struts (middle setting)
    • Yellow Koni Sport rear shocks (middle setting)
    • front and rear Eibach Sway Bars with BMR endlinks (middle setting)
    Then I installed
    • Steeda Front Control Arms (Lateral and Tension Links w/ Bushings),
    • Steeda S550 Mustang Bumpsteer Kit,
    • Steeda Billet Aluminum Vertical Links with Polyurethane Bushings .

Could not put my finger on it, but the car did not drive the same after the second list of items installed. One thing that happened that bugged me, is if you turned the wheel all the way to make a turn, unless your turned it back all on your own, the car would get stuck like that. Anyways so months go buy, and I go off a huge curve, and I could tell the car needed an alignment after that, so took it to a shop in to what I thought was a legit suspension shop for an alignment and took the opportunity to the some part swapped out/installed

• Ford Performance Performance Pack Rear Toe Link Kit,
    • Hub Centric 25mm Spacers,
    • replaced the controls arms with the Ford Performance Front Control Arm Kit Performance Pack (just felt like the steeda ones were off),
    • and camber bolts.

So the car drove straight as an arrow but a few issues arose, one I can hear the left front strut when over a dip at higher speed, the steering felt very tight when turning, and when hitting a bump or dip on the freeway, the car in the rear feels like its going to fall apart, like very wobbly (this was my biggest concern). Don’t feel it in the steering, but rather in my rear in my seat.

Took it back to the shop (the last place I had the other items installed), and they saw nothing wrong but decided to give it another alignment. The issue was still there. Took it to another shop (lost hope in the last one). They told me my tires were bald in the rear, but the fronts were ok (oops), so they suggested I buy two new tires of the same brand (pilot sport 4s), put the new ones up front, the old fronts in the rear, gave it another alignment lol, removed the spacers, and now its the worst than it's ever been.

Now if I accelerate hard, or give it gas, the rear feels like it's going to fall apart. It is a side to side (kind of wobble) sensation. Also, still feeling over bumps and long turns (curves on the highway).

Took to a 3rd shop, and after some inspection, he thinks it's my "carrier" bushings in the rear! I asked to please look at my axel bolts, but he insisted he didn't think it was that ( I was annoyed).

I need help guys! I am desperate! I just want my baby to drive well again! Also, I am located in Socal (please any known good mustang shops would be greatly appreciated.

PS - I have a Ecoboost Premium Convertible with FP Tune.

2. 2017GBGTPP

2017GBGTPP Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Grabber Blue Premium Mustang GTPP with Recaros
    0   0   0
    Did the shop guy mean cradle bushings? That could be the problem. Time for a cradle lockout kit or changing the bushings with the Steeda bushings. A Subframe Brace would probably help too.

Bluemustang and Blue Moon like this.
  3. Mazman

Mazman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 PP1 Mustang GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Have you re-indexed your bushings after lowering the car?

Sounds like your subframe is needs some lock out as well like BMR CB005 and or CB762/CB10

4. Blue Moon

Blue Moon Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
    0   0   0
    Steeda subframe braces made my back end feel more solid. Quick and easy to install, you can do it in your driveway in half an hour.

5. boB

boB Well-Known Member

First Name:
    boB
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT
    0   0   0
    First thing is the problem with the steering not returning on it's own, something is binding. Next problem is adding more aftermarket parts when there is already a problem, further confusing the issue and making it so you are likely to never find the original problem.

This is not what you want to read, but... return everything to stock and start from there (assuming it all works like it should at that point). Do one thing at a time and get it working properly before going on to the next mod. I know this is time-consuming and basically sucks but it is the only way to be certain of what went wrong (if something goes wrong, and I hope it does not this time).

Bluemustang and BB125 like this.
  6. Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    There is a TSB out for the 2018’s regarding the steering not returning to center and the fix is a EPAS software update. I had posted that when the 18s first hit the streets.

Currently, there’s nothing like that for the 2015-17 model years.

It’s possible that either it needs some type of a software update or there is an issue with the actual EPAS unit.

7. OP
    OP
    JayHij

JayHij Active Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Hey Everyone!!!

Appreciate the feedback thus far!

@2017GBGTPP - Thanks for the tip, out of curiosity, how much should a job like that cost?

@Mazman - I did not re-index them (had no clue)

@Blue Moon Thanks for the tip :)

Before adding any more ports and doing more work as @boB already pointed out :frown:

But focusing on the major concern at hand which is the loose rear-end sensation I am feeling when accelerating. It is pretty bad. I feel like it's a botched alignment issue. The issue really came about, after the last alignment.

I was hoping to get y'alls feedback on what they did, where I should make adjustments, or if anything really stands out that may be contributing/causing the issue:

First Attempt.jpg Second Attempt.jpg

8. Bluelightning

Bluelightning Bluelightning

Vehicle(s):
    Lightning Blue 18 GT PP
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    What's going on with the rear camber? You've got a huge difference between the right and left...

Bluemustang and YoloBathsalts like this.
  9. krishelnino

krishelnino Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Krishna
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
    0   0   0
    OP, i have the exact same steering wheel issue on my 2018 GT - not returning to center on full turns and binding. I noticed this issue started happening after installing Steeda control arms and bumpsteer kit. My car was looked at by Steeda and they didn't find anything wrong - suspected it might be a problem with EPAS or front struts. I took my car to dealership to check the EPAS system for software updates, they said it had the latest. They refused to further diagnose blaming the aftermarket parts for causing the issue. Steeda then came back to me saying the 25mm spacers at the front might be causing the issue. I still have to test this theory when i get some time.

And your alignment is very bad, you need to get that corrected first.

10. Dr. Norts

Dr. Norts Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Race Red Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Was your alignment guy drunk?

He's got toe in on the front driver side

Toe out on the front passenger side

rear camber is 2x the amount of the driver side

rear toe is positive on the passenger side and the driver side rear is barely negative.

Also his alignment rack could need to be calibrated, but if he's sending out alignments like that I'd say alignment calibration isn't high on his list of priorities.

If the rack is out of Cal your car could be setup even worse than the numbers on your sheet are showing.

YoloBathsalts likes this.
  11. Rjames18

Rjames18 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    RJ
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
    0   0   0
    and this is why you stick to the stock suspension instead of replacing shit..

hlh1 and boB like this.
  12. 2017GBGTPP

2017GBGTPP Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Grabber Blue Premium Mustang GTPP with Recaros
    0   0   0
    The Steeda Stop the Hop starter kit should lock down that subframe nicely, it's about $350. If it is your cradle bushings going bad, you can just get the Steeda ones alone for $50.
    https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-Stop-The-Hop-Starter-Kit-555-4455

But before doing that, definitely get that alignment fixed. I don't know much about how to read an alignment sheet, but even I can tell that's jacked up.

SteedaTech likes this.
  13. Ecoboosted

Ecoboosted Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide, 06' F-150, 18' G4
    0   0   0
    When I had my 15 GT non PP. I hated the floaty feeling that car had. I installed the Ford Track Pack Suspension. When I gave it hard throttle the back end felt very loose from side to side. Could never figure out what it was until my right rear hub bearings needed to be replaced. Brought it to the dealer who replaced the hub with a new one. The car was fine after that. I don’t think i torqued that hub properly. Hindsight is 20/20 lol

14. Dr. Norts

Dr. Norts Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Race Red Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Ummm no. This is why you go to an alignment shop with actual numbers in hand (BMR's) and make sure they know wtf they are doing.

First ask if they know how to adjust the rear camber. If they say yes quiz them how just for your own sanity, you'd be surprised how many shops don't know how to do it but will tell you they do. Also ask when their machine was last calibrated, if they don't know walk away lol.

The camber is the hardest adjustment to get at during the alignment but no where near impossible. They'll have to get just a bit creative with extensions / swivel. If they know where this is and can/will adjust it they shouldn't have any issue adjusting front or rear toe.

All bushings clocked + full alignment should take no longer than 1.5 hours providing the guy / girl knows what their doing.

Bluemustang and Notagain like this.
  15. boB

boB Well-Known Member

First Name:
    boB
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT
    0   0   0
    #15 boB, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    The PP2 turned 2:53.8 at VIR, beating everything that cost up to $125,000, without any aftermarket suspension parts.

Car and Driver had this to say: It turns in instantly, steers with perfect clarity, and changes direction with the kind of neutral balance you wouldn’t expect from a front-engined car.

Rjames18 likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    JayHij

JayHij Active Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    @Bluelightning I don't know man! I thought I had professionals working on this. To be honest it has been a huge struggle (in regards to the stangs, its all about beamers and porsche's here) for me out here since moving back to SoCal (im a Cali native, but had been in Southeast Michigan for the past 10 years). I knew best people over there to get work done.

@krishelnino yup, thats exactly when it happened for me as well. As soon as I installed the steeda control arms, and bumpsteer kit.

@Dr. Norts Need to find a place asap to take it to, but I would love more feedback from all of you. Don't want to go in blind, like I have been.

@Rjames18 No Fun! And you live and you learn, honestly up until now, I had loved the changes, and how the car drove. Loved every minuted behind the wheel. Im sure with the right shop, and some help from the gang here, we can get things right.

@2017GBGTPP Thanks for the link! Any idea what something like should cost to install?

@Ecoboosted Thanks for the info, thats definitely worth looking into. I will add to the items of things to check (along with axel bolts)

So again thanks everyone for the feedback. I want to start with getting the right alignment.

So based on what you guys have said, it's obvious something is off. Can you guys give me some real numbers/suggestions to give to the next person that does the alignment. ?

I found this on the another thread on Mustang6g: Street Handling JPEG.jpg

Rjames18 likes this.
  17. Diocletian

Diocletian Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1. 2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    Infrastructure Engineer
    0   0   0
    Weird. I got a Steeda bumpsteer kit, and ultralite springs and an alignment all at once and my 2018 GT didn't experience that problem a few people mentioned with the steering. My car feels really planted and quick to turn in, with no body roll and no bouncing.

Wonder if it's the control arms themselves or the combo of the bumpsteer kit?

18. Jay-rod427

Jay-rod427 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT C/S
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Steering stuck=bumpsteer kit over travel and binding.

Sloppy rear end=you were right about axle nuts coming loose especially after someone had them off doing all the other parts they did, and don’t put new nuts on. Easy to check yourself. Take tires off, auto parts store 32mm socket and breaker bar. They should be extremely tight. 150+ft lbs.

That alignment job is pretty sloppy. There’s no reason you can’t dial in things within .01 degrees other than just too lazy to take the time.

19. Sig556

Sig556 White18

First Name:
    Ed
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT Premium / Oxford White / 6sp
    0   0   0
    Check out the mounting of the rear Pan Hard Bar if this baby is loose or worse yet the bracket welds are cracked or broken you will experience that sensation like the wheels are swaying side to side or like the rear is sliding back away from the car.
    I am not saying this is your problem but check it out. The dealer missed a cracked PHB bracket on my 2011 GT and it almost killed me at 60 MPH. Been there done that.

20. Jay-rod427

Jay-rod427 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT C/S
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    S550 doesn’t have panhard bar.

Notagain and 17Magnetic5.0 like this.