Sponsored

Looking at a 2019 Gt350

jalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Purchased a 2018 Shadow black mustang gt last year before prices spun out of control on used cars. Car is paid off and love to cruise on the weekends. Intrigued lately by a Ruby Red Gt350 (gen 2) and potential intro and ownership into VooDoo. Just wanted thoughts and perspective from owners:

1) Did you upgrade from a Coyote/Mustang before the gt350?
2) Do you track the car? If not, do you feel like this would be as good as a daily car as a standard GT 6speed?
3) Do you plan to keep the car for a long time? If so, did (do) you have regrets on purchasing?
4) Are you paranoid about the engine/oil consumption or is it not really as bad as some make it? Reading posts suggests to expect 1quart every 500-1000 miles. Has that been true for you?

Many thanks and appreciate your thoughts.
Sponsored

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I came from a 12 GT to a 17 GT350. I bought it a year ago with 1300 miles on it. I do drive it at least once a week and autocross it once a month.

1. Yes I did
2. I started autocross this year with it.
3. I plan on keeping this one.
4. I am not paranoid, but do keep an eye on it. No issues to report.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Purchased a 2018 Shadow black mustang gt last year before prices spun out of control on used cars. Car is paid off and love to cruise on the weekends. Intrigued lately by a Ruby Red Gt350 (gen 2) and potential intro and ownership into VooDoo. Just wanted thoughts and perspective from owners:

2) Do you track the car? If not, do you feel like this would be as good as a daily car as a standard GT 6speed?
3) Do you plan to keep the car for a long time? If so, did (do) you have regrets on purchasing?
4) Are you paranoid about the engine/oil consumption or is it not really as bad as some make it? Reading posts suggests to expect 1quart every 500-1000 miles. Has that been true for you?

The voodoo is high strung with lots of vibration. If you buy the car and plan to track it, I highly recommend buying an extended warranty through ford. I've had something like 15 warranty items addressed over 9 visits in my '19 350 after being owned for 20 months and 7,000 miles. I'm going to attribute almost all of those warranty issues to the 26 or so track days. My home track is a very fast flowing track, which gives minimal areas for straights to help cool components, which probably leads to a lot of premature failures.

1) No, this is my first mustang.
2) Yes, I bought the car to have something I could track under warranty without too much hassle. You'll have no issues daily driving, as many others do.
3) I plan to hand this car off to my son 35-40 years from now. . . but every time I'm sidelined on a track day because of yet another failure, I strongly consider selling it. I'm slowly coming to terms with the weak points of the car, addressing them with better parts, and carrying spares to the track just in case. Most people don't have these same issues, but you will nevertheless see some warranty items crop up.
4) Oil consumption hasn't been a widely documented issue for the '19 & '20's, that was more of a 2018 and prior issue. 19's and 20's show a higher instance of broken valves in the #7 and #8 cylinder (if memory serves correctly,) but those failures always seem to be fairly early on in the engines lifecycle. Also, as pointed out by @Tomster , the 2020 GT350 had additional language added to the warranty supplement which makes any failure during "track use" a non-covered item. So, in theory, at fords discretion, they can deny any warranty issue that arises on track if the failure occurs on track. That being said, what the dealership doesn't know won't hurt them. . . .

So, in my opinion, and I'm extremely biased here because I own one, the best year of the 350 is the '19 ;)

It's only money, you can always make more. Keep us posted on what you decide!

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
1) I sold my 2012 GT and bought my 2018 GT350.
2) 1340 minutes of track time on the car so far and 13500 km total. I drive it to work 2 times a week or so during the driving season here in MD (usually late April to late Nov). Realistically it is more of a toy for me than anything else.
3) I plan to keep it as long as gasoline is sold and/or I die. No regrets on the purchase. It is the most fun you can have in a car for ~$60,000 USD.
4) Not paranoid. If a major component breaks I have the warranty. If a minor issue pops up I will fix it myself. Once the warranty is up I will just build the engine when it blows.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The voodoo is high strung with lots of vibration. If you buy the car and plan to track it, I highly recommend buying an extended warranty through ford. I've had something like 15 warranty items addressed over 9 visits in my '19 350 after being owned for 20 months and 7,000 miles. I'm going to attribute almost all of those warranty issues to the 26 or so track days. My home track is a very fast flowing track, which gives minimal areas for straights to help cool components, which probably leads to a lot of premature failures.

1) No, this is my first mustang.
2) Yes, I bought the car to have something I could track under warranty without too much hassle. You'll have no issues daily driving, as many others do.
3) I plan to hand this car off to my son 35-40 years from now. . . but every time I'm sidelined on a track day because of yet another failure, I strongly consider selling it. I'm slowly coming to terms with the weak points of the car, addressing them with better parts, and carrying spares to the track just in case. Most people don't have these same issues, but you will nevertheless see some warranty items crop up.
4) Oil consumption hasn't been a widely documented issue for the '19 & '20's, that was more of a 2018 and prior issue. 19's and 20's show a higher instance of broken valves in the #7 and #8 cylinder (if memory serves correctly,) but those failures always seem to be fairly early on in the engines lifecycle. Also, as pointed out by @Tomster , the 2020 GT350 had additional language added to the warranty supplement which makes any failure during "track use" a non-covered item. So, in theory, at fords discretion, they can deny any warranty issue that arises on track if the failure occurs on track. That being said, what the dealership doesn't know won't hurt them. . . .

So, in my opinion, and I'm extremely biased here because I own one, the best year of the 350 is the '19 ;)

It's only money, you can always make more. Keep us posted on what you decide!
True,

But to be fair, I had a long conversation with Jim Owens about the warranty concern. He assured me that it is not Ford's intention to deny a warranty claim if the car was used on the track with the following stipulation..... The car is not modified and is used as intended. So, my take on it is that if you modify your car (ie-tune, major other modifications), the car is no longer "as built" by Ford and that could lead to a denial of a warranty claim. Also, negligence is not covered either. Obviously if you hit a wall you will not be covered. If you money shift your car, not covered. So, the warranty is written to protect Ford and as long as you are using the car as built and as intended, there should be no problem.

I am one of those people who find the car fine as it is. I do little stuff here and there, but I don't mess with anything major that could lead to a possible warranty denial if I blew my transmission or engine. So anyone tracking their car, use the above guidance and you should be fine.

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
No but have driven many
Yes, I track it
It will be a family heirloom and no regrets
No paranoia but I do take care of it. Use negligible oil between oil changes and, I change oil after a track day.

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
Here is my first ever "Mustang" I purchased it with 4.3 miles, December 30. 2019. Followed the recommended "Break in procedure for engine and drivetrain" as per the Shelby supplement before tracking the car. My son and I have "Tag teamed" the car this Spring and Fall at Mid-Ohio. Absolutely NO problems with the car, best money I ever spent. My son will end up with it, and I drive it whenever I can. (Not in the snow) 9398 miles on it now. People look at me funny when it's 40 degrees and I have the windows down....God I love the sound !

91FED8CC-BFC9-4617-B7B1-1B734CF4D8CD.jpeg

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
- '03 Cobra ------> 2019 Shelby
- Not yet, I have put 31,000 miles on it since August 2019 & it's NOT a daily driver.
- Will buy the extended warranty shortly for 5 year/75,000 miles.... then I will probably upgrade to a Porsche GT4
- No, I go through 1 to 1.5 quarts between oil changes.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
1. yes, but still have my 16 vert manual.
2. Yes, if you already daily a manaul, no difference there.
3. Yes, have two now. One reg, one r. My boys will get both some day.
4. No, this has been discussed at nauseam.

Last edited:

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
Yes- came from 19GT PP1 to 19 GT350R

Nope dont track it- I didnt daily either- but feel like both would be the same in terms of daily driver duties- going through tires/ gas exc

Yes- I do- NO regrets- this thing is so much fun! worth the extra money for sure

19GT350R- so far driven 2500 miles since I bought it- some of those miles pretty hard- 0 oil consumption so far- I started checking every gas tank- now I check every other

Sponsored

Joe Mac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 350
Yes- came from 19GT PP1 to 19 GT350R

Nope dont track it- I didnt daily either- but feel like both would be the same in terms of daily driver duties- going through tires/ gas exc

Yes- I do- NO regrets- this thing is so much fun! worth the extra money for sure

19GT350R- so far driven 2500 miles since I bought it- some of those miles pretty hard- 0 oil consumption so far- I started checking every gas tank- now I check every other
Did you but on clean under wear

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
Nope, this is my first Mustang.

I'm regularly at the track. Probably more time spent there than the street.

Appropriateness as a DD depends on your location (weather) and driving conditions.

There's many places I frequent that would make my 350 terrible as a DD. For example, the way the curbs are done at my work-office I'd have to replace the splitter every few months. No way to get in/out without dragging since it sits so low. If I'm street driving, the 350 only comes out of the garage if my route is planned and I know exactly where I'm going to end up.

This is not a car I'd want to subject to midwest winters either.

If you don't mind dealing with the hassle of putting together a custom wheel/tire package for winter (if it's even necessary for you), and don't generally find yourself in weird dragging situations, it would do just fine as a DD.

I plan to keep this one around a while, and have absolutely zero regrets.

Not in the least. Mine uses zero oil so far. I do check it regularly though, especially during track events.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
No, first sports car I owned

No. For a daily driver here on LI, NY, it's a bit difficult because of all the traffic and congestion. This car wants to take off and go. Doesn't like sitting at red lights, and in bumper to bumper traffic.

Yes, planning on keeping a long time, and absolutely no regrets on buying.

Was paranoid in beginning, so I was extremely careful about breaking it in properly for the first 1K miles. Now my car has 5,500 miles, and never had to add any more than 1/2 qt. And I drive it in the 7K-8K range a lot. So now I'm no longer worried about oil consumption.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

I owned a 2015 GT before my GT350 and now I own a 2017 GT

Yes I tracked the car and it was awesome on track. It was also a lot better daily than a GT in my opinion. The GT350 feels special at any speed.

I mostly have regrets I bought the first year and that I sold the car eventually. I thought I might move on to something better and that I needed more variety. Variety is fun, but less so when you spend money and end up with something inferior.

My Voodoo only used oil when it was near the top dipstick mark. If it was left alone, the oil level stayed halfway between the lines and never decreased from there. So no, I wasn't paranoid about it. After the first year and 10,000 miles I only checked the oil on rare occasions. It just didn't burn oil.
Sponsored