Sponsored

Long Tube Headers and Steering Column Shaft

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black/Black GT Premium A10 PP1 Magnaride
I just put on a set of long tubes and want some more clearance from the steering column shaft and the number 6 pipe on the headers. If i put a 1/2" spacer under the engine mount brackets to the engine mount it seems to work, but it takes away almost all the top nut threads and i don't want to have the motor up another 1/2 (if anything would like to lower) The engine is already slid over on the mounts to the passenger side so i have no more room in that direction. This said looking at the steering column shaft if it was actually reversed (with thick side up top) it could possible work, but it can't be reversed. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket steering column shaft available for the 2019 s550? I can't seem to find any anywhere. Also does anyone know why the shaft is collapsible other than to make install easier? Thank you for any thoughts you may have.
steering column shaft.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are 2M. They are nice and everything went in without issue. Once I lowered the motor back down is when I noticed it. The steering turns, but it is right on the shaft. Now in 2019 Ford changed the AC lines so the passenger side is right at the ac block. If it was a 2015 it would not have been an issue. Having done a 2015 and now a 2019 header install I now know this. So if I put in lowering mounts it may put the header below the ac block allowing me to shift the motor over to the passenger side thereby giving more clearance to shaft. So I just need to figure out best path to take.

20201003_144523.jpg

20201004_134927.jpg

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
I just put some heat to the same tube and dimpled it in the area I needed some more clearance. It won't effect performance any.

OP
OP

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had considered doing that as well. Just trying to see all peoples thoughts as well as seeing if a custom shaft existed. The stock collapsible one is WAY larger than it needs to be.

Sponsored

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Damn I was going to order some 2M headers for my 16, will this be an issue on my car?

OP
OP

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are nice headers and tons of people have no issues. Again I attribute my problem to the ac line which sits up higher on 15 to 17 cars. So you have room to shift engine on mounts left and right if needed.. I would not hesitate to buy them.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Just trying to see all peoples thoughts
My thoughts are companies shouldn't brand headers as 18+ when there clearly clearance issues. Obviously they didn't do their due diligence. And having to 'clearance' 1000 buckaroo headers is unacceptable.

OP
OP

50racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well they are only 489 so there is that. Again depends on what jig was built for. Some people get headers and get upset because they don't work with lowered mounts, could be something else is not 100% spot on from the assembly line across the cars. There are many things that are different from each car as it rolls down the assembly line. If something is that close and not an egregious error I don't think about it and to my knowledge all headers stayed same from 15 to 20 from all manufacturers.

EPTS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
There was a Facebook post not too long ago that had lots of people chiming in. From what I gather, if its the "Lone Star" style headers from 2M, then you will have clearance issues with the steering shaft. They sell another set that is a Stainless Works replica that apparently does not have this issue.

What I did is dimple the drivers side where it hit the steering shaft. I. then loosened the bolt holding the AC line and used a hose clamp to pull the line away from the header. Theres a slot in the frame rail that fit the hose clamp perfectly. Seems to have worked for me. Doesn't touch anywhere or rattle like it did before.

55476ABC-EB20-4741-BE53-348905676219.jpeg

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
If you dimple it, I would try heating up the primary tube until it was red hot, lay a large socket (attached to a long extension) on it and either hit it with a hammer or squeeze it in a vice. That should make a nice clean dimple.

I am in the middle of dealing with the same problem and then some with my headers. I contacted the manufacturer about my issues and they built me a new set that are on their way to me as we speak. My car has been on jack stands for a whole month now. Hopefully I will be on the road within the next week.

EPTS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
If you dimple it, I would try heating up the primary tube until it was red hot, lay a large socket (attached to a long extension) on it and either hit it with a hammer or squeeze it in a vice. That should make a nice clean dimple.

I am in the middle of dealing with the same problem and then some with my headers. I contacted the manufacturer about my issues and they built me a new set that are on their way to me as we speak. My car has been on jack stands for a whole month now. Hopefully I will be on the road within the next week.
Are they from 2M? If they are to be honest I highly doubt they are built in the US and more than likely you will get an identical set. The Jig from the overseas manufacture needs to be changed.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
No, mine are Ultimate Headers. They’re made in the USA (manufactured in Ohio).

AceS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The steering shaft is collapsible for safety reasons. It allows the front of the car to be able to crumple and not force the steering wheel into the driver. The situation with your headers sucks, good luck with getting them to work.

I just put on a set of long tubes and want some more clearance from the steering column shaft and the number 6 pipe on the headers. If i put a 1/2" spacer under the engine mount brackets to the engine mount it seems to work, but it takes away almost all the top nut threads and i don't want to have the motor up another 1/2 (if anything would like to lower) The engine is already slid over on the mounts to the passenger side so i have no more room in that direction. This said looking at the steering column shaft if it was actually reversed (with thick side up top) it could possible work, but it can't be reversed. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket steering column shaft available for the 2019 s550? I can't seem to find any anywhere. Also does anyone know why the shaft is collapsible other than to make install easier? Thank you for any thoughts you may have.
steering column shaft.JPG

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Mine was touching AC block until I sat it back on the mounts. But in that picture above, I removed the bolt/nut and clamp as I have heard many getting false knock as the bolt would touch sometimes. I have about 1/4" gap from header and AC block. May be able to re position, I would try that. And maybe that would give you just enough for the shaft as well on D. side. I used stainless power headers. You will get er figured out
Sponsored