Sponsored

Lexus charging corvette money for Mustang performance

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
It's a luxury car, first and foremost. They didn't even try to build a driver's car. It's more like since it doesn't have back doors, nobody expects you to share.

Not only is cost-effective performance not a goal, neither is road feel or steering feedback, or several other things I look for in a car.

I've seen one at a time trial at NCCAR. I'm sure the owner was happy that he could do a lap 0.8sec faster than my Evo (315hp with a stock boost map). If he cared about his car being cost-effective, he would have been mad about being only 0.8 sec faster, on a 95-second lap, than my 2008 Evo with peeling paint.

Last edited:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have owned a couple Lexus "performance" models and have been impressed by fit, finish, reliability and quality. But, not by performance. I think the Lexus target audience is much older than most Mustang buyers. I'm pushing 81, so I think I may be ready for another Lexus in 5 years or so.... especially if I die before that.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
As a Mustang forum, we obviously have a bias here, but folks buying those Lexus models, similar to the IS500, are not buying it for any on-paper performance advantages it may or may not have over it's competition, perceived value or to take part in spec-sheet racing. Those cars offer something a little more intangible and less qualitative, and to the niche they appeal to, (ever-dwindling) those owners are ecstatic and love 'em. The other day, I saw a white IS500, and his custom license plate spelled out "YUM GAS." All you need to know.

Sponsored

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
Shows how out of touch you are with modern car pricing.

Magneride equipped Mustang GT with Recaros, active exhaust, and painted calipers is only $4,000 less than what you posted.
I get what you're saying but add some options and you won't be buying that Lexus for 68,295 (I put premium package and audio and painted brembos and got $78,290 USD.

The crazy one is the "track edition" starting at 101k :cwl:

1715715669499-a9.png

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I get what you're saying but add some options and you won't be buying that Lexus for 68,295 (I put premium package and audio and painted brembos and got $78,290 USD.

The crazy one is the "track edition" starting at 101k :cwl:

1715715669499-a9.png
Agreed, but if you think the interior of the Lexus isn't worth 10k more than the Mustang you're not thinking clearly.

The Track edition with all of it's carbon fiber and 20K in carbon ceramic brakes is still not a terrible rip-off when you factor the expense of the parts, just not something that anyone needs on any RC-F except to try and flaunt how much they spent on it.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
test drove a Lexus. Couldn’t have been less impressed. If I was going for a luxury car and wanted a car not suv or truck, I’d go bmw easily. Or option out a Cali special mustang auto with Magride and tech package, blue cruise etc

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I like the RC F as it is different from the other luxury competition in that it has an NA DOHC 7k rpm V8 - happy it exists. It is expensive for the performance level, sure, but the car is nice looking, and I like the interior design. I believe it's intended more so to be a true GT than a true sports car.

Besides, you can build a Mustang GT to pretty close to the base price of an RC F. Someone could turn that around and say Ford is charging near Lexus prices for a Mustang.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty much all the luxury bastids do this crap
casts side-long glance at "dark horse"...

Someone could turn that around and say Ford is charging near Lexus prices for a Mustang.
absolutely! the NERVE of ford pricing their run-of-the-mill Detroit not-quality, panal gap out the wazoo, etc car in the same orbit as a Lexus...

Next thing you know, Ford will offer a Mustang for a modest 300,000. Dollars, not pesos.

Last edited:

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
casts side-long glance at "dark horse"...

absolutely! the NERVE of ford pricing their run-of-the-mill Detroit not-quality, panal gap out the wazoo, etc car in the same orbit as a Lexus...

Next thing you know, Ford will offer a Mustang for a modest 300,000. Dollars, not pesos.
I have never understood the panel gap gripes. My car has excellent gaps. You want to see gaps go look at a Tesla - my dad’s car has a legit .75” gap between the quarter panel and decklid on one side and 1/4” on the other.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I have never understood the panel gap gripes. My car has excellent gaps. You want to see gaps go look at a Tesla - my dad’s car has a legit .75” gap between the quarter panel and decklid on one side and 1/4” on the other.

Sounds like the factory workers weren't drunk or high when your car got put together. My trunk is very misaligned from the factory and I have couple funny gaps on the bumpers. I test drove a brand new 2015 Roush RS2 before buying my car which had some really wonky panel gaps including a very shifted hood. You can find a lot of people on this forum talking about rear glass installed crooked from the factory.

I've got a nice little spot on my trunk where the paint got contaminated as well, took me a year to spot that because it's only visible when the trunk is open.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/trunk-paint-defect-anyone-have-a-spot-like-this.95336/

Yes, teslas are slapped together, so were the S550's. Two things can be true at once.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like the factory workers weren't drunk or high when your car got put together. My trunk is very misaligned from the factory and I have couple funny gaps on the bumpers. I test drove a brand new 2015 Roush RS2 before buying my car which had some really wonky panel gaps including a very shifted hood. You can find a lot of people on this forum talking about rear glass installed crooked from the factory.

I've got a nice little spot on my trunk where the paint got contaminated as well, took me a year to spot that because it's only visible when the trunk is open.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/trunk-paint-defect-anyone-have-a-spot-like-this.95336/

Yes, teslas are slapped together, so were the S550's. Two things can be true at once.
That paint contamination is tough. Ouch. My car has plenty of problems, especially wiring problems with nicked harnesses and wire looms routed incorrectly so they chafe but I guess I’ll take that over panel gaps and paint issues