Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
well assuming you're an USAA member log in and then do a member benefits search for tires and you'll find the GOodyear link, click that and your discounts will be transparently applied. My set of 305/30/19 3R's was $1100 mounted, when I bought them.
Never used USAA for shopping LOL thanks!
Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
OP
OP
Bridgie

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
Apex EC-7 Wheels finally arrived, I managed to get some Toyo RR's, fitted and ready to check all alignment and set-up.
Running 18x11 with 295 squared tires.

Can you ever have too many tires..?

Wheel Rack.jpg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
As @NoVaGT can attest 2 sets on a rack is nothing!! I have 20 tires up on racks and another 30 sitting on the floor in addition to an easy 50 motorcycle tires 120/160. I need to open a damn store! (PS4s, Cup2, PSS, Corsa, pirelli and Mich slicks)

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully the answer is no, because I've got 4 sets in the spare bedroom, 3 sets in the garage. The bedroom tires are nice because it keeps guests from getting too comfortable and wanting to stay longer, as chances are I'll get another set and ask them to move their belongings so I can drop another set in there.

Good news on the Apex EC-7, hopefully that means I've got mine coming in soon.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
As @NoVaGT can attest 2 sets on a rack is nothing!! I have 20 tires up on racks and another 30 sitting on the floor in addition to an easy 50 motorcycle tires 120/160. I need to open a damn store! (PS4s, Cup2, PSS, Corsa, pirelli and Mich slicks)
I started giving my away let's be honest we are never going to drift this tires why keep them.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Yeah the OP Mustang spacers I use have to be pried off with a screwdriver if your hubs are even a little rusty, at least when they’re new, they’re a perfect fit. Big centering rings for the wheels to seat to as well. I’ve bever heard of anyone reusing a bolt ol spacer without the bolts. You don’t do anything the normal way do you? Should rename your profile “mavrick”
Thru bolt (slip on) Spacers are very common in racing and in tire and suspension development work at OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers.

Former Tier 1 tire engineer here if it helps.
When doing fitment work and scrub radius, etc testing, I used to have a set of various spacers. Nowadays, I just order a couple cheap amazon spacers and force the bolts out using vice leaving me with a decent chunk of aluminum for further machining. Sometimes you get lucky and only need to do a little more work like opening holes.

I have removed bolts from cheap bolt on spacers and opened holes just barely enough to allow use as slip on spacers on long studs. Keep in mind the inner hubcentric happen to be perfectly what I needed and I used 3 wraps of telfon tape on the hubcenter to snug the spacer on perfectly centered (OCD).

I later custom specced some 24mm spacers to get exactly what I wanted. (EC7 18x11). I was running modified front clip on a 2015 at the time.

#0 Never use bolt on spacers. Stud from hub to outer lug nut must be one continuous bolt.
#1 NEVER use any lubricant on clamping surface wheel to hub or wheel/spacer/hub
#2 Use long studs such as ARP or Dorman. I have used 2 different Dorman truck studs successfully including on my own hubs. Installed ARP for others.
Hubs need replacing from road course use and ARP studs prolly not good idea to reuse 3rd time so Dormans end up making more sense.
#3 Clamping force times friction is what holds the assembly together. Studs should NEVER be in shear, always pure tension.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I later custom specced some 24mm spacers to get exactly what I wanted. (EC7 18x11).
designed a custom setup for 15mm or thicker that takes interchangeable centering plugs from 66 up to 76mm. Still costs about $100/pair though.

#3 Clamping force times friction is what holds the assembly together.
So what's the engineering justification for machining pockets in the friction surface? Like OP does to lighten them? That results in a dramatic loss of friction area and can't be good, no?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
designed a custom setup for 15mm or thicker that takes interchangeable centering plugs from 66 up to 76mm. Still costs about $100/pair though.

So what's the engineering justification for machining pockets in the friction surface? Like OP does to lighten them? That results in a dramatic loss of friction area and can't be good, no?
The spacer should pick up the locating ring on the hub & then have a locating ring of its own for the wheel. Once those are in place, though, that leaves the wheel stud as mostly a tension member to clamp the assembly together. There will be the potential for relative rotation between the hub & wheel which friction and the wheel studs (in single shear) should easily accommodate.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold

Just means the contact pressure is higher. Ff = mu*N, with N being the same via the bolt stretch tensile force.

I knocked the studs out of bolt on spacers and have been using those for my slip ons. They work great.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just means the contact pressure is higher. Ff = mu*N, with N being the same via the bolt stretch tensile force.
I wonder why the aftermarket paints them then which dramatically changes Mu. Seems like a raw brushed or sand-blasted surface would be best for maximizing Mu.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I wonder why the aftermarket paints them then which dramatically changes Mu. Seems like a raw brushed or sand-blasted surface would be best for maximizing Mu.
They're anodized, which is quite a bit different from painting. In general, maximum friction will come from two surfaces that have similar peaks and valleys.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Sounds crazy but... Surface area is not in the friction equation for dimensionally stable surfaces.
dimensionally stable surfaces = no substantial thermal, chemical, dynamic, etc. interactions.

Static Coefficient of friction for aluminum on steel is not a function of surface area as long as the surface area is not reduced to the point that significant deformation or some other dynamic (chemical, thermal, physical dynamics) occurs.

No need to have more aluminum there than necessary.

If you look at the FEA, Ansys, etc, you see the loads/stress is carried at the geometric exterior surfaces, so lower stressed interior material is "dead weight" along for the ride.

You may ask why wider tires can get more grip? dynamics: thermal, physical, chemical, etc.

The spacer should pick up the locating ring on the hub & then have a locating ring of its own for the wheel. Once those are in place, though, that leaves the wheel stud as mostly a tension member to clamp the assembly together. There will be the potential for relative rotation between the hub & wheel which friction and the wheel studs (in single shear) should easily accommodate.
The clamping force and friction removes all potential for relative rotation.
The centering rings on the hub, spacer, and wheel NEVER carry any load to center the wheel once the lugs are tightened. They only serve the purpose of initial assembly alignment and reducing galling of the wheel lug pocket during tightening as the wheel is drawn on center.

Yup, 100% friction transmits rotational and shear loads from one piece of the assembly to the next.
100% of that friction is from pure tension of studs clamping the assembly together.
Nothing else.

NEVER put any lubricant/anti-seize/spit on assembly shear surfaces.
Clean hub and spacer with something that degreases surface:
brake cleaner/acetone/alcohol/soap then followed by clean water and dry.
I prefer having a can of anhydrous isopropyl alcohol for wheel surfaces to avoid damaging paint finishes.

They're anodized, which is quite a bit different from painting. In general, maximum friction will come from two surfaces that have similar peaks and valleys.
Anodizing is a type of metal surface passivation(stabilization from chemical effects and corrosion). Can also make the surface harder and increases its shear strength. In both cases, this reduces dynamics.

Last edited:

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
Just my opinion, but I won't use anodized spacers. I want raw aluminum to maximize available friction. I've had vibration problems with anodized spacers and didn't using unfinished aluminum spacers on the same car. It's also important to ensure the hub is centered when installing the spacers or the wheels. I've used shims in the past to ensure centering.

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Just my opinion, but I won't use anodized spacers. I want raw aluminum to maximize available friction. I've had vibration problems with anodized spacers and didn't using unfinished aluminum spacers on the same car. It's also important to ensure the hub is centered when installing the spacers or the wheels. I've used shims in the past to ensure centering.
Anodizing wasn't the problem.
Sponsored