Sponsored

Leak - can someone please help identify?

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hi all,

I pulled out of the garage this morning and noticed a small black puddle on the floor. Not sure where this may be coming from but I park my car with the tail at the garage door, so maybe it’s the transmission or torsen?

I assume an engine oil leak would be near the front of the car? I checked the oil dipstick (which is a pain to access due to the strut tower brace) and it looked ok when I initially pulled it out. I did it a couple more times after but there wasn’t as much on the dipstick, maybe I didn’t wait long enough.

As you can tell I’m not mechanically inclined so would appreciate some help identifying what kind of leak I have. Thanks!
0A506003-0F11-41D9-9BA0-1090839D426C.jpeg
53865850-DE1A-4A93-B9C2-478AE28173E7.jpeg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You will have to get under the car to really check to see where the leak is coming from, because it could be a number of things:

Loose oil filter or seal between oil filter and engine block
Loose oil sensor (very common across all S550’s - you would think Flat Rock would fix that issue by now)
Oil pan drainage plug

Just a few minor areas to inspect.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
If the dark patches on the concrete are where the wheels sit... then it looks like a differential leak. Probably the driveshaft seal.

OP
OP

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You will have to get under the car to really check to see where the leak is coming from, because it could be a number of things:

Loose oil filter or seal between oil filter and engine block
Loose oil sensor (very common across all S550’s - you would think Flat Rock would fix that issue by now)
Oil pan drainage plug

Just a few minor areas to inspect.
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I have no car jacks so I will probably just take it to the dealer to check. Hopefully it's not an oil leak... I changed the oil only 1,500 miles ago so I'd imagine the color would be more amber/brown instead of jet black? Also my oil pressure hasn't gone lower than 25 psi when driving.

OP
OP

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If the dark patches on the concrete are where the wheels sit... then it looks like a differential leak. Probably the driveshaft seal.
Appreciate the input. Yes, the dark patch is approximately where my rear wheels sit so maybe could be a differential leak. I'm also wondering if it's an exhaust leak at my midpipe. I just did a resonator delete (with clamps) less than 1,000 miles ago. This spot appeared yesterday when I turned on the car but was idling for longer than usual (trying to get Sync to update to no avail). Maybe some condensation and carbon buildup leaked out or something. In any case it's probably best I take this to get inspected.

Sponsored

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Did it evaporate during the day.....if so......exhaust moisture??:like:

Why didn't you just touch it to see if it was water or oil??:facepalm:

OP
OP

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Did it evaporate during the day.....if so......exhaust moisture??:like:

Why didn't you just touch it to see if it was water or oil??:facepalm:
Seems like it evaporated but left behind a hardened dark patch that has a crack down the middle. And yea should have just touched it, good point lol.