Sponsored

Need help identifying coolant leak issue.

codybruce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6
Hello fellow Mustang owners. I am trying to determine what part on my 2016 Mustang 3.7L V6 might be bad, before I take it into a mechanic to get fixed. I would prefer not to get reamed by the mechanic as this is my first car. I did a little research and think it might be a seal, bearing, or the water pump itself. About once in every 6-8 months I do hear a grind/whine noise that goes away when I start driving. There has been one instance where I drove 15 miles, parked, came back out and saw almost all of my coolant was on the concrete. I am now at the point where I am putting the proper 50/50 DexCool coolant in every week. Today I started the car and see that two streams of what I believe is coolant, are flowing behind the water pump. It then leaks down onto one of the main pulleys. I am hoping your expertise can help me determine if the leak is the related to the water pump. I can take videos, pictures, whatever to isolate the issue. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Engine.jpg
Sponsored

YukonRally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Sure looks like it's coming from the water pump. If you don't want to get reamed, and have a little mechanical know how, they're pretty easy to pull. Loosen the three screws holding the pulley on, since the belt keeps tension on it. Your tensioner is the pulley just to the bottom right. Put a wratchet or wrench on it, and press down to the left, like you're trying to loosen it. It will rotate and you can slide the belt off. Take off the 3 bolts you loosened and the pulley will come off.

I would drain the coolant and disconnect the hoses attached to it. Take the bolts off the water pump and pull it straight out. It should be fairly tight and take a little effort to pull out. Give it a good inspection and see if it needs to be replaced.

OP
OP

codybruce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
Sure looks like it's coming from the water pump. If you don't want to get reamed, and have a little mechanical know how, they're pretty easy to pull. Loosen the three screws holding the pulley on, since the belt keeps tension on it. Your tensioner is the pulley just to the bottom right. Put a wratchet or wrench on it, and press down to the left, like you're trying to loosen it. It will rotate and you can slide the belt off. Take off the 3 bolts you loosened and the pulley will come off.

I would drain the coolant and disconnect the hoses attached to it. Take the bolts off the water pump and pull it straight out. It should be fairly tight and take a little effort to pull out. Give it a good inspection and see if it needs to be replaced.

YukonRally,

Thank you very much for the detailed information, greatly appreciated. I am more than willing to work on it myself and save hundreds. Can you give me some tips on what I should look for on the water pump when I pull it out? I can generally inspect for any obvious seal faults. I think I might also be able to determine if there is a bearing issue by rotating it. Do you have any other tips on what to look at for the pump? Again, thank you.

YukonRally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I assume that you've got it repaired by now...

That occasional grind/whine you mentioned may have been related to the belt and any of its pulleys. While you have the belt off check the pulleys individually for roughness or sloppy bearings.

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Yep been here before. Replaced water pump, did not fix. I told them I believe its the front main bearing and they replaced as well and waallaaa. Fixed!

OP
OP

codybruce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
YukonRally, I seriously thank you for your help and advice. I bought the water pump, gasket sealant, new coolant reservoir, and new cap. Since I had the water pump issue I had to refill the coolant regularly. Last time trying to fill coolant, the coolant cap told me to go eff myself and broke off inside the reservoir tank. Basically my car was telling me fix me asshole. With your advice on the belt pulley lever I went in. I removed the reservoir tank, hose clamps, hoses, you know. Replaced the water pump, coolant tank, etc., made sure everything is back in place, and now she is back to purring like a kitten. Thank you very much for your advice! To the rest of you for chipping in I appreciate it. My pony is now back in action with no fresh liquid dripping. Thank you very much YukonRally! :)
Old_Water_Pump.jpg
New_Water_Pump.jpg
Coolant_Cap_Terror.jpg
Old_Water_Pump_Before.jpg
Old_Water_Pump.jpg
Old_Water_Pump_Removal.jpg

Last edited:

YukonRally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP