Sponsored

Knocking noise in Tremec

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Bronco Sport Outerbanks
maybe you should cup the ball of the shifter?
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Noticing that when the car is idling in neutral with my hand on the shift knob, you can both hear and feel a faint metal on metal knocking and it's creeping me out. Anyone else experiencing this? No trouble shifting, what a joy this transmission is otherwise.
Mike this noise is when the clutch is out? If it is push the clutch in and see if it goes away. If it does it's normal noise from the TO bearing.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Mike this noise is when the clutch is out? If it is push the clutch in and see if it goes away. If it does it's normal noise from the TO bearing.
Hey Dave, nope it doesn't change whether the clutch is in or out. It doesn't really sound or feel like it's IN the Tremec, as much as it sounds like something is tapping ON the Tremec.

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
Give it some time, the Tremec likes warm temps, and mine took a good 1.5K mi to break in nicely. It gets better with time. I'm at 2.5K mi now and it gets better and better. It feels best when fully warmed up, to where you actually get some heat in the rear differential looking at the "Gauges" function in the instrument display.

The Tremec likes the clutch pedal all the way to the floor and a good positive push on the stick. I find I have to be more precise with the Tremec compared to MT82, I could be lazy with those.

On the plus side once warmed up, the Tremec handles hard shifts better and feels higher quality overall compared to MT82. It is FAR superior to MT82 on track. It was a big selling point for me on M1, and glad that is the transmission I have.
I agree...I'm at 5K miles now and I didn't love the tremec the first 1000 miles. Now the clutch is perfect and the tremec feels so sweet. I don't shift hard until the engine is up to temp. It's still clunky when cold.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Any wiring harnesses with plugs running on or near the trans?

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
This is the thing I'm going to check when the weather warms up in April... asked this same question in another forum and got this response:

Not sure if the noise you are hearing is coming from console area. Check to make sure emergency brake cable isn't loose. It is located under driver side floor pan. If the cable is loose it allows slack in the assembly and it taps or rubs against bottom of floor pan or exhaust. You can only see it if the car is up on jack stands or ramps because it's tucked under trans tunnel. There's a thread on here in DIY section with how to adjust.

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
This is the thing I'm going to check when the weather warms up in April... asked this same question in another forum and got this response:

Not sure if the noise you are hearing is coming from console area. Check to make sure emergency brake cable isn't loose. It is located under driver side floor pan. If the cable is loose it allows slack in the assembly and it taps or rubs against bottom of floor pan or exhaust. You can only see it if the car is up on jack stands or ramps because it's tucked under trans tunnel. There's a thread on here in DIY section with how to adjust.
I'm getting my ramps in a couple weeks, I'll check it.

stev3french

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Twister Orange w/HP
I agree...I'm at 5K miles now and I didn't love the tremec the first 1000 miles. Now the clutch is perfect and the tremec feels so sweet. I don't shift hard until the engine is up to temp. It's still clunky when cold.
I think it was you that mentioned a noise in when going into gear in 2nd. Has that gone away? Mine has been stored so I haven't had a chance to see if fluid change will help. But if it went away on its own for you I may just ride it out another couple thousand miles.

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
I think it was you that mentioned a noise in when going into gear in 2nd. Has that gone away? Mine has been stored so I haven't had a chance to see if fluid change will help. But if it went away on its own for you I may just ride it out another couple thousand miles.
It went away (or I can't hear it anymore)...I'm at 5100 miles.
Sponsored