Sponsored

Pinging/knocking and sputtering

Lilpinklindz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red EcoBoost
Long story short... 2015 Ecoboost with 27k (STOCK) started this loud knocking sound and low idling, to the point of almost stalling out a couple weeks ago. Tried dry gas in case of bad gas but no relief. Had service appointment today and am frustrated with Ford.
They claimed it was cylinder 3 coil gone bad and told me it was running great. Go and get it and immediately notice that it's still sputtering, knocking, and idling odd... Drive 2 miles to store just to have it start smoking profusely from exhaust. Go back to Ford and they now say that cylinder 3 is losing compression. They have no idea why and had me leave it there for Monday.
So now I'm out the price of a rental car because they stated if it blew up Ford would say I was negligent since I knew there was a problem. They also tried to say I hadn't had an oil change in over 16k miles!! So oddly enough I had to prove them wrong by having them look in their system since it was done there March 8th... They weren't bright enough to look at the mileage from last oil change that stated I only had 11k on it... When it was more like 22k.

I guess I'm looking to see if anyone else has had a similar problem and what outcome was.
Thanks
Sponsored

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Is your car modified at all; excluding cupcake external appearance mods that is? It will make your battle alot easier if thats the case.

If they're disputing oil change records you're going to be fighting an unholy battle. Try to take it to another dealership.

Also, get a hold of a Ford service rep on here or by calling the hotline (forget the number). When your car is in the shop they HAVE to provide you a rental car. Alot of dealers will not because they have to front the bill until they actually find the problem.

Stand up for your rights, ford will try and take advantage of you.

OP
OP

Lilpinklindz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red EcoBoost
Jason Stang that's exactly what I told my husband last night, among a few other things...

Astolt12 -ABSOLUTELY STOCK... We bought leather takeoffs but haven't installed them yet due to time.
Not even a CAI...
As for the oil change dispute the service manager was able to look and see that from Oct 15 to March 16 it would've been like 70 miles on a DD...he states they will "fix" it Monday but I'll be calling Ford Mon with a list of bitch demands. One being that they are trying to say my seats are from a "chemical spill"...i mentioned by frustration when they and they said that it should be fixed, then Ford came back with that crap. Nothing but water has touched those seats and that's just moisture from rain when getting in. I don't want that on record when we trade it in.
I used to be a customer service manager at Toyota and we always supplied a rental for any service over 5 hrs or so... I expected that from Ford as well.
Now I'm honestly looking at trading in for a GT and saying screw it.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No Check Engine Light / CEL ?

You got your oil changed at the dealership and they disputed that?

I haven't investigated the matter, but I think rental cars in this situation are best effort, and vary by dealership.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Lilpinklindz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red EcoBoost
Nope. No light... They stated they found a code P303 after doing an investigation test or such... But no CEL ever and had auto zone check a couple times in case which showed nothing.
Oil change was March 8th, they also mounted a tire for me at this time. The tech must've put in the mileage wrong when entering information and the service rep wasn't smart enough to look at the service records prior and see it didn't add up before he came trying to tell me I hadn't had it in. I quickly pulled out the last sticker from my glove box and called them out on it.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I am surprised dealership didn't change its tone once they discovered the oil change data entry error. They got defensive about the engine rather fast. Did you buy the car from them?

OP
OP

Lilpinklindz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red EcoBoost
I didn't get it from them. We live in the middle of no where and had to drive into Indy to get it which is about 1.45 HR away. We've gotten it serviced at this location 90% of the time aside from the time we took it to the dealer we got it from.
After searching that code in the forums I'm not thinking this is going to go smoothly... It's doing the exact same thing that the original poster was reporting aside from the CEL not coming on with mine.

I thought the same thing about them getting defensive so quickly without researching a small amount to determine that was an error on their side, not mine. After talking to the service manager the second time I've agreed for them to look into Monday and I wanted a better answer by 4pm Monday and I would then decide if I wanted to use them or trailer it to original dealership.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
1.5 hours is a long way. If its a serious issue, it may require multiple visits to the service center. Current dealership is close by? Maybe they will give you a loaner car if your car needs a lot of work. That would be ideal.

4 ROUSH

NONE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
Contact Ford customer service & get a claim # if the issue is not resolved by that dealership. Sounds like the run around with that dealer...........:tsk:

Sponsored

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
With your car being bone stock I would focus your efforts on fighting the good battle against the engine. Im not too up to speed on the ins and outs of turbos but it sounds like something is going wrong with that assembly/setup. Search the forum for people who turbo issues on their cars; a few exist with the same symptoms.

We can replace the seats later, but the big coin is the engine. Hold Ford accountable because they will look for anything to tell you its your fault.

I had to have my 5.0 engine replaced. Fought it for 6 months and was told it was caused by my 'Ford Racing' X pipe installed. They fought tooth and nail to deny me. Its going to be a long road, but dont give up. Eventually I had to engage to BBB. Once I did that, suddenly Ford perked up.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
So now I'm out the price of a rental car because they stated if it blew up Ford would say I was negligent since I knew there was a problem. They also tried to say I hadn't had an oil change in over 16k miles!! So oddly enough I had to prove them wrong by having them look in their system since it was done there March 8th... They weren't bright enough to look at the mileage from last oil change that stated I only had 11k on it... When it was more like 22k.

I guess I'm looking to see if anyone else has had a similar problem and what outcome was.
Thanks
So your completely stock car experienced an engine performance concern....you brought it into the dealer....and somehow they are trying to say you were "negligent" because you "knew there was a problem?" :doh:

How much hassle would it be to bring it back to your selling dealer? Sounds like the one you're at is very shady; they shouldn't blaming you for anything. What they should be doing is ordering the replacement parts and putting you into a rental, no questions asked.

Hopefully you can get some help from the customer service department.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I didn't get it from them. We live in the middle of no where and had to drive into Indy to get it which is about 1.45 HR away. We've gotten it serviced at this location 90% of the time aside from the time we took it to the dealer we got it from.
After searching that code in the forums I'm not thinking this is going to go smoothly... It's doing the exact same thing that the original poster was reporting aside from the CEL not coming on with mine.

I thought the same thing about them getting defensive so quickly without researching a small amount to determine that was an error on their side, not mine. After talking to the service manager the second time I've agreed for them to look into Monday and I wanted a better answer by 4pm Monday and I would then decide if I wanted to use them or trailer it to original dealership.
Hello Lilpinklindz,

Let’s get this escalated for you, if it hasn’t already. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

...Also, get a hold of a Ford service rep on here or by calling the hotline (forget the number). When your car is in the shop they HAVE to provide you a rental car. Alot of dealers will not because they have to front the bill until they actually find the problem.

Stand up for your rights, ford will try and take advantage of you.
Contact Ford customer service & get a claim # if the issue is not resolved by that dealership. Sounds like the run around with that dealer...........:tsk:
Thank you for the mention, guys!!

Also, just to clarify, the new-vehicle limited warranty does not cover rentals or loaners while your vehicle is down for service/repairs. Loaners are provided per dealer availability and not all dealers have that option.

Some only have it available if you purchased the vehicle from them, or if it’s an extenuating circumstance, etc. This is also why we offer rental provisions with our Extended Service Plans with first day rental or after 24 hour rental, etc.

Deysha

OP
OP

Lilpinklindz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red EcoBoost
Sorry for the delay in reply...
As of Tuesday I have spoken with a Ford regional and also the dealership again. Ford has given me a rental car for an undisclosed amount of time because I was told that they are still at a loss on what's going on. All they know is that cylinder 3 is at 90 and should be at 120. None of their tests are showing anything that would be causing this so now they would be waiting on Ford to give the go ahead to go "further" into the engine.

I have addressed the issues with Ford customer service and they notated everything as well as the mileage issue on the dealerships, so I am hoping that at this point all the issues are taken care of.

I do appreciate the rental car and thankful that they were willing to help me out but it's frustrating to purchase a brand new car with a warranty, only to find out that you should buy an extended warranty to cover costs of the rental car needed for warranty repairs. In my opinion an extended warranty is a warranty that covers you after your manufacturer warranty has expired.

Thanks for all the information and I'll update once I hear back from the dealership again!!

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Sorry for the delay in reply...
As of Tuesday I have spoken with a Ford regional and also the dealership again. Ford has given me a rental car for an undisclosed amount of time because I was told that they are still at a loss on what's going on. All they know is that cylinder 3 is at 90 and should be at 120. None of their tests are showing anything that would be causing this so now they would be waiting on Ford to give the go ahead to go "further" into the engine.

I have addressed the issues with Ford customer service and they notated everything as well as the mileage issue on the dealerships, so I am hoping that at this point all the issues are taken care of.

I do appreciate the rental car and thankful that they were willing to help me out but it's frustrating to purchase a brand new car with a warranty, only to find out that you should buy an extended warranty to cover costs of the rental car needed for warranty repairs. In my opinion an extended warranty is a warranty that covers you after your manufacturer warranty has expired.

Thanks for all the information and I'll update once I hear back from the dealership again!!
That’s good to know, Lilpinklindz. I appreciate the update. Definitely keep me updated.

Deysha
Sponsored