Knock Knock. Who’s there? Rod.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
What's interesting is the strange variance on temp specs of the same part number. Supposedly the Motorcraft RT1258 is correct for the 5.0 engine, but I've seen lots of places list it as 180 degree, yet on Fordparts its 190. The aftermarket ones seem equally confused, with 180 being listed as "OE temp".

This really seems like a slight engineering change was made, possibly a higher base temp, but more flow over the full opening range?
The new/updated I put in starts to open at 195, I verified by boiling it.
It also has 90.6C stamped/etched on it, which is 195.08F.

The Motorad one (right) looks like a cheap piece of crap for $11 from Autozone and it seems like a 170F one. It has "Motorad 1021" on it, I don't care if it technically starts opening sooner (clearly it was insufficient), haven't tested it yet. All I know is it's running better with Motorcraft.

1675091459651.png

Its therorised that when you open the cooling system, the old orange coolant becomes sticky when the thermostat is exposed to atmosphere. I'm not sure thats the case, but I know the OEM one will stick if you open the system and don't replace it with a new OEM thermostat.
Yeah, the truck had orange. I did a chemical flush (Motorcraft VC-1, made for aluminum rads) and added the new yellow coolant. I did not notice any scaling or gunk come out during the flush, but that could also mean it's settled at the bottom of the rad or dissolved in the chemical flush.
My Mustang has the orange/pinkish one.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The new/updated I put in starts to open at 195, I verified by boiling it.
It also has 90.6C stamped/etched on it, which is 195.08F.

The Motorad one (right) looks like a cheap piece of crap for $11 from Autozone and it seems like a 170F one. It has "Motorad 1021" on it, I don't care if it technically starts opening sooner (clearly it was insufficient), haven't tested it yet. All I know is it's running better with Motorcraft.

1675091459651.png

Yeah, the truck had orange. I did a chemical flush (Motorcraft VC-1, made for aluminum rads) and added the new yellow coolant. I did not notice any scaling or gunk come out during the flush, but that could also mean it's settled at the bottom of the rad or dissolved in the chemical flush.
My Mustang has the orange/pinkish one.
Great to know. Motorad is usually okay for a car you're going to sell, but I certainly wouldn't be happy if that was in my nice car....

As far as sediment/gunk, from what I've noticed it usually settles in the baffled portions of the coolant reservoir.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Wait, isn't this a thread about a mustang losing oil?

When did it devolve into a F150 having high CHTs?

Start a new thread people...on an F150 site...
Yeah, it is a Mustang forum.

And I did apologize for taking this topic towards F150.

However - forum creep is a real thing and quite common.
Furthermore, as both fellas had mentioned, this is related to CHT temps on the Mustang, since it's a very similar system and might have similar issues.

We've basically circled around and just about closed it off. So I'm sorry that this crept to something else, but there's always the option to "unwatch" the forum.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
Yeah, it is a Mustang forum.

And I did apologize for taking this topic towards F150.

However - forum creep is a real thing and quite common.
Furthermore, as both fellas had mentioned, this is related to CHT temps on the Mustang, since it's a very similar system and might have similar issues.

We've basically circled around and just about closed it off. So I'm sorry that this crept to something else, but there's always the option to "unwatch" the forum.
Yes but I'm curious to see what his issue is and learn from him. Why should I or OP have to deal with this going way off the rails but I digress

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I like the reische 170 degree T stat. With the stock motorcraft my stang ran about 200 CHT's, with the reische it runs right at 190.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
I don't hear the OP complaining.

My last comment as I don't want this derail further but I don't hear the OP at all. OP may have given up after 4 pages of CHT and temostst talk on an F150.

@tdstuart any progress on locating the issue and why oil so low consistently.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
FYI @2022 Mach 1 you gotta take out your comment and put it outside of the "QUOTE" stuff, otherwise it appears within a quoted text.

If he (OP) did give up, you can always direct message him.

There's now 4 members (including myself) that find this temp discussion relevant.
Again, to take this away from topic was not my intention, I wanted to close a feedback loop, but if you're expecting every forum to stay hard on topic without deviation, you will be unpleasantly surprised in this entire forum.

Sponsored

Wqmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
W
Vehicle(s)
2014 f150 EB
Are you guys on the f150 EB forum?
I had the same issues with my ‘14 overheating replaced thermostat and it fixed it right up. I used to see 230 in Tucson at 85f

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Are you guys on the f150 EB forum?
I had the same issues with my ‘14 overheating replaced thermostat and it fixed it right up. I used to see 230 in Tucson at 85f
Yup, am going to be updating my own post there, at least on the 13th gen site.

All, sorry for forum rabbit hole direction I brought in. Back to Mustangs now.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The motorad thermostat is no good. It might start opening at the setting but it doesn’t fully open until much higher temps.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The motorad thermostat is no good. It might start opening at the setting but it doesn’t fully open until much higher temps.
Ya. Now imagine my anger when I discovered that after the shop assured me they've used the Motorcraft after I requested it.

I've been running it for months in "light" overheat and if my gasket goes, that's on them.
Sponsored