Sponsored

Keyless entry not working on passenger side

Dragonheart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium 2015
Hi everyone,
I faced a different issue - I can open the drivers door by touching the handle, but can't close it. Keyless entry was working for years for me, then at some moment closing was working 1/10 times, now it doesn't work at all. Not sure if battery issues may cause it, gonna research a bit more, but to me it looks like sensor inside of handle might become broken or there's an issue with it operating under low temps (it's -10* celsius here in Europe at the moment).
Sponsored

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
With a dash cam set for parking mode ... mine goes to 'sleep' mode in a day and a half.
3 or 4 days without.
Had a fob battery die in my last car, and the drivers door didnt work either. Fortunately my spare remote saved the day.
Also when the door handles are really wet from rain or melting snow, I have occasional intermittent function.

Dragonheart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium 2015
Hi everyone,
I faced a different issue - I can open the drivers door by touching the handle, but can't close it. Keyless entry was working for years for me, then at some moment closing was working 1/10 times, now it doesn't work at all. Not sure if battery issues may cause it, gonna research a bit more, but to me it looks like sensor inside of handle might become broken or there's an issue with it operating under low temps (it's -10* celsius here in Europe at the moment).
Small update: on both sides opening works 10/10 times, but keyless closing works never. Today the temps are above 0, there's no rain or anything, but issue is still there. Batteries in key fob are new, replacement did nothing (I didn't expect it to help, but still decided to make sure). Also, there're no errros found by scanner. Have anybody faced anything like that? I would suppose that one of handles might get broken, but both of them behave in the same manner, which is strange.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Piping in here, same issue for me - just got back from lunch in a different vehicle and tried to access the door via just putting my hand inside the door handle. Driver's side works, passenger's does not.

I've had issues off and on with my key fob, still under warranty, dealer said they reprogrammed it before and no improvement.

I have a low range on the fob (i.e. over about 50ft it does not react) and now this passenger side. Back to dealer I go I guess.

Some comments below:
With the key fob in your pocket, the door should lock & unlock by just touching your finger on the "ribbed" portion of the top of the door handle. That's how I lock the car after I get out. I never use the fob. When traveling on long trips, I usually have the fob on a lanyard around my neck tucked in my shirt to make sure I don't lose it.
I think the "ribbed" portion locks ONLY, the sensor for your palm/fingers inside the door handle unlocks ONLY, right? When I try to tap that ribbed portion, it always wants to re-lock, never unlock.

This is definitely battery level related. On Thursday, I got notice that the car went into deep sleep. My passenger door wouldn't lock/unlock via the handle. Saturday, I drove to RI for a car show, it's about 1.5 hour drive. My passenger door locks worked as it's supposed when I got there. I've been driving the car all week w/o any incident.
I just got this and my car is a daily driver, my work commute is 20min, so I'd hope it was enough to charge the battery. However, with the recent snowstorms I didn't drive it Thu-Sun (4 days) and the parking mode dash cam might have drained it.

Saturday morning.

Passenger side worked several times in a row. Still using the original key fob batteries.

Still have not started or driven the car since Thursday.

For those with hardwired dash cams, are they basically recording all the time or are they wired to be on only when the car has been started?

I ask because I wonder if they are on all the time they are discharging the car battery to the point where the car shuts off the passenger side listener to conserve amps.
My dash cam is wired to accessory fuse for normal operation and to go into parking mode when ACC doesn't get power - there is a low voltage cutoff point that I have set to the highest point I could. My dash cam only records for minutes after that unfortunately. Now I wonder if it's the dash cam shutting itself off due to low voltage that quickly instead of even the "constant on" fuses being without power after a few min.

For anybody who has the this problem and have a Dash Cam hardwired, when you shut your engine off does the car shut off everything within 30secs to 1 minute, vs the regular 10 minutes the car would stay on after the engine has been stopped?
I think I get only about couple of minutes of parking mode after I shut it off, now that you say that. I wonder if my parking mode really drains it that quickly to the point of shutting off the dash cam itself (meeting the threshold).

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
My 2022 is doing this. Hmm

Sponsored

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
My wife's Lincoln does this also, where the passenger side door doesn't recognize the touch. BUT, her car isn't driven often and it seems to be a battery saver issue. Once I drive her car for a trip, the passenger side works fine with a full charge on the battery. It's only when it has been sitting for a couple of days.
My guess is that all Ford products do the passenger side disable thing when the battery is low on charge.

I decided I needed to add to this. The battery I am referring to is the car battery, not the battery in any of the remotes.

Last edited:

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Though the last comment (mine) is from over a year ago, I remember this issue.

One of my issues is also the fob not working virtually beyond like 20ft. If I don't lock it immediately and walk away far enough, I gotta come back to lock it, pressing the button like a madman while walking angrily back towards it.

I've tried fresh batteries to no avail, which suggests a module issue.