Katzkins in a Mach?

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
So are the seats all leather or are parts of them vinyl?

The side bolster on my driver seat is tearing because the sides and back of the seats are cheap vinyl. I say cheap vinyl because my car has 27,000 kms so not much seating time and it’s tearing. My wife’s Accord has over 130,000 kms and no tearing whatsoever on the vinyl parts.

Debating fixing it or do a full replacement in two tone.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500

The side bolster on my driver seat is tearing because the sides and back of the seats are cheap vinyl. I say cheap vinyl because my car has 27,000 kms so not much seating time and it’s tearing. My wife’s Accord has over 130,000 kms and no tearing whatsoever on the vinyl parts.

Debating fixing it or do a full replacement in two tone.
Hmm hard to say for sure but I think the factory seat sides might be vinyl.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
Done! Will be listing the stock upholstery shortly in the classifieds.

9C8571A2-63D4-408D-BCA7-9406F0F03AF0.jpeg

260B5CC2-8558-499C-B905-5C88BCB22506.jpeg

4D526172-1A3A-43FF-ABE9-2FB437A6682E.jpeg
Looks great Mike!! Shoot me a DM about the stock covers I might want them before you list them.

Sponsored

StrongFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, MT, Deep Impact Blue, 401A
Very nice job! Nice thread too.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
From what my installer told me the parts your back and butt touch are leather, rest is vinyl unless you specifically ask for all leather…but then the cost goes up.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Thanks for the info folks. I know the factory side bolsters and backs of the seats are vinyl, Ford just used cheap materials. Honda does the same thing but their vinyl is definitely much higher quality. I’ll look into my options next year. I already know how to take apart the seat as I had to replace the heating element on the seat back in the driver seat. Had to buy hog rings and pliers to do the job. There’s a site, https://www.canadaseatskins.ca/2005...-2014-ford-mustang-katzkin-leather-seats.html that I was looking at that uses Katzskin. Figured I’d do two tone black and charcoal with perforation for front and back.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Amusing / annoying update to the custom embroidered "Mach 1" headrest saga...

Earlier in the thread I talked about having the logo embroidered into the seat back above the red seating surface. Took the seat back covers to 2 places and they said nope, can't do it. Found a 3rd place and took just the headrest covers and a printout of a red 2" high Mach 1 logo, and asked if they could put the logo on the headrests instead. Sure, he says, no problem.

That was July 6. Bob, 84 year old guy running his own business. Called him July 26 asking for an update and he said he's taking them to the embroidery shop today, I want red right? Well you didn't tell me you couldn't do it yourself, but OK, fine, how long will it take? "Depends how much work she has. I have your number, buddy."

Aug 16 I called again for an update. Yep, he says, just waiting to hear from them on a price so you can tell me if you want them to do it. OMG DUDE!!!! I said I'll be there Friday (today, Aug 19) to pick them up. Don't care if they are done or not, I'm tired of waiting.

Get there today and said I'm here to pick up the Mustang headrest covers. He said the what? Took a while till he remembered. Found one cover but couldn't find the other. Looked around the shop and then out to his truck and finally said he didn't know where it was, maybe in his wife's car. I said did you leave it at the embroiderer? He didn't think so. What's the name of the embroiderer? "I'm not sure, it's in Monroeville." WHAT???!!! "They're a huge place, they do work for the Steelers." Well I work in Monroeville (30 minute drive to his shop), where in Monroeville it is? "It's hard to explain, near the old water authority, stop at one of the car shops up there, they'll know where it is." I said I'm going to call you tomorrow and come back here for the other cover so please make sure you find it. Left and searched embroidery in Monroeville and found a little place a mile from my office. Stopped in with the one cover and asked if they were the place and they said no but they could do the job for $70 if I can find the other cover. Got in the car to leave and Bob calls to say he found the other cover, it was on his desk chair! So drive the 30 minutes all the way back to pick it up and can't get out because he's a talker. When I finally got out the door he hollered stop by sometime for a cup of coffee or a beer, people come here all the time just to talk and tell stories. Uh.... no. Went back to the embroidery shop and took both covers in. The lady pulled up a Mach logo online, I verified it's the correct style. She said it will be solid color red to match the seats with same color piping around the edges, should be done in a week!

Hope I don't hate them when they're installed. Starting to regret even going down this road.

Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK

Earlier in the thread I talked about having the logo embroidered into the seat back above the red seating surface. Took the seat back covers to 2 places and they said nope, can't do it. Found a 3rd place and took just the headrest covers and a printout of a red 2" high Mach 1 logo, and asked if they could put the logo on the headrests instead. Sure, he says, no problem.

That was July 6. Bob, 84 year old guy running his own business. Called him July 26 asking for an update and he said he's taking them to the embroidery shop today, I want red right? Well you didn't tell me you couldn't do it yourself, but OK, fine, how long will it take? "Depends how much work she has. I have your number, buddy."

Aug 16 I called again for an update. Yep, he says, just waiting to hear from them on a price so you can tell me if you want them to do it. OMG DUDE!!!! I said I'll be there Friday (today, Aug 19) to pick them up. Don't care if they are done or not, I'm tired of waiting.

Get there today and said I'm here to pick up the Mustang headrest covers. He said the what? Took a while till he remembered. Found one cover but couldn't find the other. Looked around the shop and then out to his truck and finally said he didn't know where it was, maybe in his wife's car. I said did you leave it at the embroiderer? He didn't think so. What's the name of the embroiderer? "I'm not sure, it's in Monroeville." WHAT???!!! "They're a huge place, they do work for the Steelers." Well I work in Monroeville (30 minute drive to his shop), where in Monroeville it is? "It's hard to explain, near the old water authority, stop at one of the car shops up there, they'll know where it is." I said I'm going to call you tomorrow and come back here for the other cover so please make sure you find it. Left and searched embroidery in Monroeville and found a little place a mile from my office. Stopped in with the one cover and asked if they were the place and they said no but they could do the job for $70 if I can find the other cover. Got in the car to leave and Bob calls to say he found the other cover, it was on his desk chair! So drive the 30 minutes all the way back to pick it up and can't get out because he's a talker. When I finally got out the door he hollered stop by sometime for a cup of coffee or a beer, people come here all the time just to talk and tell stories. Uh.... no. Went back to the embroidery shop and took both covers in. The lady pulled up a Mach logo online, I verified it's the correct style. She said it will be solid color red to match the seats with same color piping around the edges, should be done in a week!

Hope I don't hate them when they're installed. Starting to regret even going down this road.
Wow Mike, what an adventure. I think you will be happy once they are installed.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Also want to note that although supposedly I have Katzkins with the special foam for cooled seats, the cooling function is virtually useless. I feel absolutely nothing on my back, and barely anything on my butt, even at full power. They weren't great before with the stock covers but seem to be even worse for cooling now.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, 2020 GT350 Heritage

Hey... that's great. So you got to drive your car around for a while. Unless you were doing all this shuffling around in the other car.

I remember you were bragging this ol'timer up earlier in the thread. He probably ropes people in all the time just for the company.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hey... that's great. So you got to drive your car around for a while. Unless you were doing all this shuffling around in the other car.

I remember you were bragging this ol'timer up earlier in the thread. He probably ropes people in all the time just for the company.
Yep actually did have the Mach today and it was actually nice out for a change, good day to be cruising around.

Yeah at first I was pumped to have found someone who said they could do the job, plus he somehow has a perfect 5 star Google rating. Nice guy, just honestly I think his memory is starting to go.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Yep actually did have the Mach today and it was actually nice out for a change, good day to be cruising around.

Yeah at first I was pumped to have found someone who said they could do the job, plus he somehow has a perfect 5 star Google rating. Nice guy, just honestly I think his memory is starting to go.
Probably got the rating from all the people he talks to.
Sponsored