Sponsored

K&N DryCharger is useless

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Installed a K&N Drycharger on my new GT350 intake. Went through a car wash, opened the hood and I can clearly see water on the filter...
Sponsored

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I've had the Power Pack 2 with GT350 air box for 7 months now, and I've never had water get on mine after a car wash, or heavy rain ... Either way, it's not a K&N issue anyway.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I also have a GT350 CAI on my 2016 GT.

I have left my car in the rain for hours on end, and I've driven my car in pouring rain as well, and the filter element never gets wet.

But, I have never taken my GT through an auto car wash??

Or you could do what I recently did, which was to fabricate a cover for the airbox out of clear plexi-glass as seen below.

I didn't do it to keep water out of the airbox, but to lower Air Intake Temps when at low speeds or at idle.

20180508_181641.jpg

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning

I have left my car in the rain for hours on end, and I've driven my car in pouring rain as well, and the filter element never gets wet.

Or you could do what I recently did, which was to fabricate a cover for the airbox out of clear plexi-glass as seen below.

I didn't do it to keep water out of the airbox, but to lower Air Intake Temps when at low speeds or at idle.

20180508_181641.jpg
Just realized how filthy my filter is after seen how pure yellow your filter is. How old/miles is on it? I only had like 7K miles, 1.5 years. I thought these would last like 15K miles? Regardless, I have Ford Perf/airraid blue filter on order.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red

I have been wanting to do this since Santa bought the PP2 for Christmas. Somewhere in my basement there is a sheet of .090" 3003 or 6061, but the Plexiglas looks so much cooler. Does it fit under a lip in the molding? What thickness did you use?

<<< This slacker still has the PP2 in the box. :rolleyes:

Sponsored

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

20180508_181641.jpg

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
that is bad@$$! Should sell the stencil so easier for everyone else to create one as well! I have sitting in my garage steel GT 350 fender for my 2017 GT... I worked on badges to mount after the fenders are painted and installed. Attached the template.
IMG_20190604_101456984.jpg

Attachments

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
This is why I never do car washes aside from all the swirl marks and the hard water here in Texas. Two bucket method and patience.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
that is bad@$$! Should sell the stencil so easier for everyone else to create one as well! I have sitting in my garage steel GT 350 fender for my 2017 GT... I worked on badges to mount after the fenders are painted and installed. Attached the template.
IMG_20190604_101456984.jpg
That looks awesome man. I would bet you could market these pretty easily on a broad scale.

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
That looks awesome man. I would bet you could market these pretty easily on a broad scale.
It took a while to learn the text format is venomous and create the template (PDF attached in my reply #7 above. Then worked with EmblemArt for them to create two sets from the required template. They were great and price very reasonable: https://emblemart.com/newsite/

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Installed a K&N Drycharger on my new GT350 intake. Went through a car wash, opened the hood and I can clearly see water on the filter...
All the Drycharger is, is fine mesh material with a silicone coating on the material to repel water. It never claimed to be waterproof. Something that is truly waterproof wouldn't allow air to pass through it, hence you couldn't put it over an air filter if it doesn't allow air to pass.

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
All the Drycharger is, is fine mesh material with a silicone coating on the material to repel water. It never claimed to be waterproof. Something that is truly waterproof wouldn't allow air to pass through it, hence you couldn't put it over an air filter if it doesn't allow air to pass.
Mostly true, I mean my oil catch can only allows air not oil to pass through so the technology is available just not introduced into any CAI product yet...

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Mostly true, I mean my oil catch can only allows air not oil to pass through so the technology is available just not introduced into any CAI product yet...
Uh... what? I'm lost based on your statement.

You can't compare an oil catch can to a cai. That doesn't even make sense. Can you explain?

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Uh... what? I'm lost based on your statement.

You can't compare an oil catch can to a cai. That doesn't even make sense. Can you explain?
Something that is truly waterproof will not allow air to pass through.. in most cases but not 100% hence the oil catch can reference ;-)

Reactions: Ebm

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

20180508_181641.jpg
Can't wait to test these temps now!
IMG_20190726_190816394.jpg
Sponsored