Sponsored

K&N CAI (K&N Series 69 Typhoon Cold Air Intake) Installed

Rod27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Hello All,

I have a 2018 Mustang GT 300A 10 Speed and I just had this K&N Series 69 Typhoon Cold Air Intake, installed today and wanted to give some insight on it since I couldn't find much information about it.

I initially wanted to go with the Ford Power Pack for the 18-20 GT but since delays and wish washy reviews about it I wanted to get something else but similar and without a Tune. I got this model because it dyno sheet shows that it gains a considerable amount of torque around 3K all the way past 4k rpm then just a slight gain overall. The horsepower do around the same but just less of a dramatic effect. Link to the part: https://www.knfilters.com/69-3540tp-performance-air-intake-system

After the install was complete, I drove about 60 miles in multiple conditions. One thing I did not like, is the IAT was at 147 degrees when it was 93 degrees out, and this was when I was leaving after getting my CAI installed. However, the IAT fell quickly to around 105 degrees when I was driving. While driving on long main streets with little stops, I noticed the car felt a bit stronger , or should I say had more force, while getting on the gas a bit, but nothing to dramatic yet. The IAT stayed anywhere from 6- 15 degrees above ambient while driving for 6 minute spans at 55mph and stopping at lights for 30 seconds, which the IAT will climb quickly to over 20 degrees above ambient.

Next is where things got interesting, I hit a very popular street doing around noon meaning it was stop and go traffic for over a mile. My IAT went over 150, however since there was no room to really give it gas I just took note of it. When I filled up at a Sam's Club, the IAT was over 160 but it fell quickly and I didn't notice no change in performance. I then stopped at a restaurant for a pick up, which was 5 mins down the road, and the IAT was 167, and I had to merge on a main street where traffic was going about 50 mph. I got an opening and got on the gas, the way I thought how Iong was on the gas ,and the exhaust sound, that I would have be at around 55 mph, but it just crossed 45 mph, so I didn't know what happened there.

I was able to get on the highway a few minutes later, and this is where I did started to notice some changes. The car revs were faster and the car had more force to it. It made my Steeda Axle Backs sound even deeper each time I would just get on the gas, and I am just talking about in the 2k to 3.5 k rpm range. The IAT on the highway was about the same as before while driving on the longer roads. I stopped at a red light, after getting off the highway, and it was pulling even better, as if the car was learning the CAI. I had my car parked for about 3 hours, sunset, and started driving on the streets again. IAT was at 117 and the temp outside was 87 F. The CAI felt even better on the street and highway. Overall it made my car feel stronger as I should say, throttle response definitely increased as well. I will update as I get more driving time tomorrow.
K&N Install.jpg
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Hello All,

I have a 2018 Mustang GT 300A 10 Speed and I just had this K&N Series 69 Typhoon Cold Air Intake, installed today and wanted to give some insight on it since I couldn't find much information about it.

I initially wanted to go with the Ford Power Pack for the 18-20 GT but since delays and wish washy reviews about it I wanted to get something else but similar and without a Tune. I got this model because it dyno sheet shows that it gains a considerable amount of torque around 3K all the way past 4k rpm then just a slight gain overall. The horsepower do around the same but just less of a dramatic effect. Link to the part: https://www.knfilters.com/69-3540tp-performance-air-intake-system

After the install was complete, I drove about 60 miles in multiple conditions. One thing I did not like, is the IAT was at 147 degrees when it was 93 degrees out, and this was when I was leaving after getting my CAI installed. However, the IAT fell quickly to around 105 degrees when I was driving. While driving on long main streets with little stops, I noticed the car felt a bit stronger , or should I say had more force, while getting on the gas a bit, but nothing to dramatic yet. The IAT stayed anywhere from 6- 15 degrees above ambient while driving for 6 minute spans at 55mph and stopping at lights for 30 seconds, which the IAT will climb quickly to over 20 degrees above ambient.

Next is where things got interesting, I hit a very popular street doing around noon meaning it was stop and go traffic for over a mile. My IAT went over 150, however since there was no room to really give it gas I just took note of it. When I filled up at a Sam's Club, the IAT was over 160 but it fell quickly and I didn't notice no change in performance. I then stopped at a restaurant for a pick up, which was 5 mins down the road, and the IAT was 167, and I had to merge on a main street where traffic was going about 50 mph. I got an opening and got on the gas, the way I thought how Iong was on the gas ,and the exhaust sound, that I would have be at around 55 mph, but it just crossed 45 mph, so I didn't know what happened there.

I was able to get on the highway a few minutes later, and this is where I did started to notice some changes. The car revs were faster and the car had more force to it. It made my Steeda Axle Backs sound even deeper each time I would just get on the gas, and I am just talking about in the 2k to 3.5 k rpm range. The IAT on the highway was about the same as before while driving on the longer roads. I stopped at a red light, after getting off the highway, and it was pulling even better, as if the car was learning the CAI. I had my car parked for about 3 hours, sunset, and started driving on the streets again. IAT was at 117 and the temp outside was 87 F. The CAI felt even better on the street and highway. Overall it made my car feel stronger as I should say, throttle response definitely increased as well. I will update as I get more driving time tomorrow.
K&N Install.jpg
Open element cai are known for higher iats than OEM so it's to be expected.

OP
OP

Rod27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Open element cai are known for higher iats than OEM so it's to be expected.
Yea, I figured it would, I was just putting the data I seen on the IAT so if anybody was interested in this or a similar CAI.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Yea, I figured it would, I was just putting the data I seen on the IAT so if anybody was interested in this or a similar CAI.
If you did a baseline dyno stock should get another with the cai and see what the no tune cai hp increase was.

OP
OP

Rod27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
If you did a baseline dyno stock should get another with the cai and see what the no tune cai hp increase was.
Unfortunately, I didn't do a baseline Dyno. However I will say I do notice a difference. I will know more tomorrow.

Sponsored

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
is the elbow actually metal? that's why your IATs are so damn high. besides being an open element. you should look at some ways to seal the open areas by the way where the shield doesn't cover

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
is the elbow actually metal? that's why your IATs are so damn high. besides being an open element. you should look at some ways to seal the open areas by the way where the shield doesn't cover
I hadn't looked at the pic but good call why the hell would they have used metal for that? Seems like a poorly planned design considering.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I hadn't looked at the pic but good call why the hell would they have used metal for that? Seems like a poorly planned design considering.
Metal gives much better induction sound which is the main reason people usually buy "cold air" intakes.

OP
OP

Rod27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Yes, the tube is aluminum.

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Do you guys think these dyno numbers released by K&N are real? They seem legit, not too out of the ordinary but you just never know coming from the manufacturer.

Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Do you guys think these dyno numbers released by K&N are real? They seem legit, not too out of the ordinary but you just never know coming from the manufacturer.
They probably are real numbers. From the best result that they had. There are usually always two words on these type of products though. "Up To xxHP"

OP
OP

Rod27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
I think they are legit, by the difference I can feel in my car. It's not a dramatic difference, but I do drive it everyday so im in tune with my car

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Stock box with inlet mods around grill area. The highest I have ever seen in 98 degree air static is 125 f iats. Once driving 11 degrees and then to 5-6 over ambient. The heat soak on open type intakes are just not worth it in summer heat imo...

You could just pop the air filter out on the dyno and see gains in hp/tq. Lol.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I installed the plastic molded K&N intake 63-2605. http://kandn.com/dynocharts/63-2605_dyno.pdf

It shows a 22 rwhp gain at 6800 rpm. I could feel a difference after I installed it, and on top of the seat of the pants improvement, I measured mass airflow readings and they showed an increase that would definitely support the dyno graph. It also showed a nice improvement in average MAF readings from 6000-7000 rpm.

IATs while driving are only 5-6 degrees F above ambient thus far. I haven't sat idle long enough yet to know what happens under those conditions since I work from home now during coronavirus. The plastic does a better job of maintaining IATs than the aluminum does.

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Thanks yeah I’d be really interested to know the IAT’s with yours. I like that intake and the Injen currently

I installed the plastic molded K&N intake 63-2605. http://kandn.com/dynocharts/63-2605_dyno.pdf

It shows a 22 rwhp gain at 6800 rpm. I could feel a difference after I installed it, and on top of the seat of the pants improvement, I measured mass airflow readings and they showed an increase that would definitely support the dyno graph. It also showed a nice improvement in average MAF readings from 6000-7000 rpm.

IATs while driving are only 5-6 degrees F above ambient thus far. I haven't sat idle long enough yet to know what happens under those conditions since I work from home now during coronavirus. The plastic does a better job of maintaining IATs than the aluminum does.
Sponsored