liv2roc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt/cs ,2004 Mustang Mach1, 1984 mustang gt 350
Why are you using zmaxx?
because paperwork shows the dealer put some in it and it was not ticking til I changed the oil.
Sponsored

Dan243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I am so glad that many feel the same as I do about so called noises. Do all the proper maintenance, drive it until it blows.... all the YouTube videos that people post online just give the 5.0 bad publicity. All the noises that direct injection makes has everyone paranoid. Use your warranty when needed.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
I’ll be buying a new GT soon and plan to put a aftermarket short block in it before I even drive it home. Fuck it! But if I heard the tick I would borescope it.

Sponsored

Scott z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt manual
Why 5w-30..? It is summer time, why not 10w-30?
I use 5 w50 in mine. That's what whipple recommends. Yes I have a stage 2 whipple. I haven't had any ticking.. Maybe once and awhile I will hear something but I don't pay attention to it really.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
paperwork shows dealer changed oil at 9000 miles with Pennzoil 5w-20 and a bottle of Zmax.
Interesting, because the owners manual clearly states that no oil additives are to be used. The dealer is playing loose with the warranty, find another dealer.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
To this day, that's a "theory", not an answer.
Probably the best theory out there since a few guys here who had the BBQ tick also had out of spec excessive rod side clearances. Just a coincidence?

Seems not many shops make that measurement on a ticking engine and then on the new replacement short block, but if everyone did they might have more solid evidence if that's the cause.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Probably the best theory out there since a few guys here who had the BBQ tick also had out of spec excessive rod side clearances. Just a coincidence?

Seems not many shops make that measurement on a ticking engine and then on the new replacement short block, but if everyone did they might have more solid evidence if that's the cause.
I'm to the point where I won't believe anything unless Ford finally gets off their duff and just comes out and tells us EXACTLY what is causing the noise. Everyone has a theory, and lots of good explanations. No absolute proof of anything. I'm done with theories. And, I don't want to hear some Horse-Hockey about oil film relationship to journals, blah, blah blah. That was their sad explanation for the tick in the PowerStrokes. It's nauseating. It's no wonder Mustang sales took a nose dive in the last half of the year.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The ticking, knocking and especially the 2-3K rattle got to me- and after the dealer had the car 2 weeks, the tech said the rattle was "noticeable" but the SM end up having the final say and his conclusion it was "normal" mainly due to the bulletin Ford issued stating the type writer tick was "normal".

The type writer tick did not bother me- it very could be the DI. But mine started making a knocking sound and the rattle was getting worse- which really concerned me. And having owned so many different cars throughout my life time, none of them made a rattling noise (piston slap) like that. So despite loving the car and also needing to downsize my fleet of cars, I traded it in, along with my Fiesta ST to a local dealer for an economy car to get me by. Someone bought the GT right away, within a few days so it was not on the lot long. They may never hear the sounds and all may be fine, who knows.

Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase

For every person who found the same issue, theres been a dozen or more who didnt. If it was as easy as tighten manufacturing tolerances this would have been solved years ago. So yes, mostly debunked theory.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
For every person who found the same issue, theres been a dozen or more who didnt. If it was as easy as tighten manufacturing tolerances this would have been solved years ago. So yes, mostly debunked theory.
The only reason I just don't buy into the piston slap or rod end ticking noise, is the noise is singular. Though on and off, it is a singular tick that is in fact synchronized with engine RPM. You have 8 big ends, and 8 pistons. You're telling me the tick only happens in one spot, and sounds identical to thousands of other engines? Not a chance.

So, until Ford finally decides to tell us exactly what is causing it, I'm not buying any of these theories anymore.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I’d be pissed. I can’t drive a car with a tick or slap or whatever. I’d want a new Motor or take the car back and I’d be done with 5.0’s Thankfully my 16GT don’t do any of that.

1blkpny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT premium
I only use Motorcraft
The nonly reason for asking is, I cant understand how a motor goes from making no noise, gets an oil change and then starts making noise. Only 2 things have changed; the oil and the filter. There has been more than 1 that has said this same thing. I don't get it but do agree with rebellovw, just drive it. That's what warranty is for. Good luck to you.

Deleted member 35786

The nonly reason for asking is, I cant understand how a motor goes from making no noise, gets an oil change and then starts making noise. Only 2 things have changed; the oil and the filter. There has been more than 1 that has said this same thing. I don't get it but do agree with rebellovw, just drive it. That's what warranty is for. Good luck to you.
Agree. Until there are actual cases of engine failue due to the tick (under warranty) we are stuck with it and there will be no voluntary recall/fix whatsoever.
Thankfully my 17' GT does not have it. Oil change is about due and I am at 27K miles... doh.. wish me luck.. lol
Sponsored