Sponsored

JLT Oil Separator?

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
If I lived in California I would just get a quick disconnect one. Replace the original tube for inspection and then change it back after its done. Simple solution.
Sponsored

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I installed my catchcan at the dealership with 2 miles on the car off the truck. Love it!

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Is a separator illegal, or just a breather? Totally makes sense that a breather would be, since it is open to the environment (albeit through filters) and loses the vacuum which helps with the crankcase ventilation in the first place, but I'd be surprised that a separator/catch can would be.

Maybe the bureaucrats are afraid of what people do with the oil after the can catches it all.

EDIT: I did look at the CARB website and I guess they do have EO's for several separators (typically for large diesel engines), so I guess they really are disallowed (unless they were there from the factory).

-T

Last edited:

svtfever

ALEX
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTPP1
if these are so important, why don't they come from factory with these. just curious

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
if these are so important, why don't they come from factory with these. just curious
IMO the engines are designed to run fine without them. For a port-injected engine, the fuel cleans off any oil deposits from the valves anyway, so the separators are less important in a stock vehicle. If you've done FI mods, then there may be more blow-by, and a separator might be more useful. Also, since the oil does reduce the effective octane slightly, those with FI would benefit more in order to keep the octane as high as possible.

If you have a DI engine, I think a separator is a good idea, since there is no longer fuel flow over the valves to keep them clean.

I don't think MFR's design them in for a couple reasons. First, they require maintenance, which is something many drivers do not care to do (need to drain the captured oil occasionally). Second, they add cost. And finally, the engines are designed to run fine with a little oil coming through anyway.

I do think they give peace of mind, and I do think that a kit with nice hoses and brackets can spruce up the engine bay, so I think they can be a nice mod even if they car doesn't necessarily run any better.

-T

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
IMO the engines are designed to run fine without them. For a port-injected engine, the fuel cleans off any oil deposits from the valves anyway, so the separators are less important in a stock vehicle. If you've done FI mods, then there may be more blow-by, and a separator might be more useful. Also, since the oil does reduce the effective octane slightly, those with FI would benefit more in order to keep the octane as high as possible.

If you have a DI engine, I think a separator is a good idea, since there is no longer fuel flow over the valves to keep them clean.

I don't think MFR's design them in for a couple reasons. First, they require maintenance, which is something many drivers do not care to do (need to drain the captured oil occasionally). Second, they add cost. And finally, the engines are designed to run fine with a little oil coming through anyway.

I do think they give peace of mind, and I do think that a kit with nice hoses and brackets can spruce up the engine bay, so I think they can be a nice mod even if they car doesn't necessarily run any better.

-T
Exactly this, I went with UPR :thumbsup:

that and I drive my car like it's meant to be haha

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
Ummm its not a DI engine. The fuel will wash any residue off the back of the valves. Especially if you use a Tier 1 fuel.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
What are everyones thoughts on this? Is this something needed or is it designed for the paranoid?

Thanks or your input.
You need an oil separator, not a JLT.

I picked up a big name oil separator (not jlt), I was very happy with the build but noticed after 50 or so miles it would get a fine coat of oil on the left side of the catch can. I contacted the vendor about the issue and he wants me to remove the connection and add teflon tape. :shrug:

I am sure it will look like garbage when it's done, I am afraid of damaging the connection when I remove / reinstall it back on the can.
The can was too expensive for me to try and ghetto rig.:tsk:

I cannot recommend a catch can atm, I am looking for another myself.

Might give Bobs a try.

4point6grey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PerformancePack
"It's in there" of course it is...and it's not from the machining process, it's from the combustion process. The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) is and was designed as a SMOG device. It is designed to put unburned combusion (Fuel and Oil) back into the intake for another re-burn.

In fact...here in California, the original home of SMOG devices, an oil seperator installed inline between the PVC and the intake manifold is illeagal according to C.A.R.B. (California Air Resourses Board) Technically...if you were having a required smog check, you would fail and or be required to remove the device.

So what does that tell you?
I'm in Cali :-/ you guys must feel my pain they are anal about everything

craigsix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
we dont have no stinking regulations in kansas. but im sure california has more hot chicks.