Sponsored

JLT Oil Separator?

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Oil in the intake can lower octane effectiveness, cause knock, pull timing. If you like having your system run optimal get one. If not keep doing what you do. I had one on each side my engine on my 14 gt500. It was a must.

I run aos's on any performance vehicle i own.
Sponsored

craigsix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
this is a wise investment. it was my first mod on my car. on the hemi engines i learned that these keep your intake tract cleaner and cooler so you get a cleaner cooler fuel air mix which keeps knock retard down and more timing means more horsepower!

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
Damn good posts! This forum has its moments!:cheers::headbang:

OP
OP
shockme66

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Annv. Magnetic
Great posts/information. So, JLT or UPR?

Sponsored

OP
OP
shockme66

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just installed the JLT Oil separator. We'll see what it catches. I did notice that the stock line smelled like oil, but not sure if this would truly be a real issue, even if oil is getting through into the line; the line goes back into the area you add oil in anyway when doing a oil change.

I may be wrong on this, but a first time Mustang owner I took the precaution.

Vinny@JLTPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just installed the JLT Oil separator. We'll see what it catches. I did notice that the stock line smelled like oil, but not sure if this would truly be a real issue, even if oil is getting through into the line; the line goes back into the area you add oil in anyway when doing a oil change.

I may be wrong on this, but a first time Mustang owner I took the precaution.
Actually it's going the other direction, the oil is coming from the valve cover side and going into the intake manifold.

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
Just picked mine up from Vinny at JLT. He even installed it for me. Thanks Vinny!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
shockme66

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually it's going the other direction, the oil is coming from the valve cover side and going into the intake manifold.

Ahh; got it. Thanks for that explanation. I should be covered now; thanks JLT Performance!!

Vinny@JLTPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Sponsored

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
I installed one before I had 50 miles on the car. After 3,000 miles and 3 oil changes, yes 3! I changed a 500, 1,500 and again at 3,000. I had emptied about 1 table spoon out each time.

I don't see how in the heck that can be a bad thing. My understand is that not only does it stop the oil from coating the intake manifold, it also (Obviously) keeps it out of the combustion process which otherwise lowers your octane. Meaning your 91 or 93 or what ever is no longer the same. By how much... Who knows. For an inexpensive mod, I really dont see why it hurts.

It is also my understand that if you use the tranny/gearing for braking, there is more back pressure and more collection in the seperator.

OP
OP
shockme66

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got my car last week; as mentioned earlier installed my JLT yesterday put 30 miles on it since the install and just checked it a Lunch; I have some oil collected already. Not sure if this is the car oil or the oil used to machine the JLT part, but something is in there.

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
"It's in there" of course it is...and it's not from the machining process, it's from the combustion process. The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) is and was designed as a SMOG device. It is designed to put unburned combusion (Fuel and Oil) back into the intake for another re-burn.

In fact...here in California, the original home of SMOG devices, an oil seperator installed inline between the PVC and the intake manifold is illeagal according to C.A.R.B. (California Air Resourses Board) Technically...if you were having a required smog check, you would fail and or be required to remove the device.

So what does that tell you?

Last edited:

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
"It's in there" of course it is...and it's not from the machining process, it's from the compustion process. The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) is and was designed as a SMOG device. It is designed to put unburned combusion (Fuel and Oil) back into the intake for another re-burn.

In fact...here in California, the original home of SMOG devices, an oil seperator installed inline between the PVC and the intake manifold is illeagal according to C.A.R.B. (California Air Resourses Board) Technically...if you were having a required smog check, you would fail and or be required to remove the device.

So what does that tell you?
Technically the system is still operating as intended as it is still a closed loop between the head and the intake. There is just a separator now that collects the oil and stores it. I know the CARB has some funky rules but that is just dumb.
Sponsored