MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
Im so on the fence about getting this.
It seems obvious that some oil gets by.

I cant believe that Ford doesnt know about this, and if it was a problem, they would have had a fix for it.

My assumption is that it isnt an issue that causes a big problem in the engine.
But then, there is oil in the can.

What to do?!??!?!?!?!

I may just get one at the end, so that I can say, better safe than sorry for a small amount.
Sponsored

Agarc

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.carandsoulcustoms.com
First Name
Ant
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP
Why don't they add a line to trap oil back to where it should be? Maybe oil pan?
cause some people dont like that junk going back into the pan, there are many different schools of thinking some say it doesnt hurt and others feel like it will but most cans ive seen are just built to drain and dump

Agarc

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Ant
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP
Im so on the fence about getting this.
It seems obvious that some oil gets by.

I cant believe that Ford doesnt know about this, and if it was a problem, they would have had a fix for it.

My assumption is that it isnt an issue that causes a big problem in the engine.
But then, there is oil in the can.

What to do?!??!?!?!?!

I may just get one at the end, so that I can say, better safe than sorry for a small amount.
oh they know, but its cheaper to not add one and then charge you for a cleaning when you come in later saying hey my car feels sluggish can you fix that

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Well Ford racing is producing one. Like anything it's just cost/benefit. Engine still functions fine without one. The question is are you OK with potential negative affects on octane or build up years or high mileage later that affects engine performance?

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
Will Ford look down on you if they see it there? Saying you voided the warranty.

And can the oil be put back in the engine or better off disposed? (is it dirty or safe to put back)

Sponsored

Agarc

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Ant
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP
Will Ford look down on you if they see it there? Saying you voided the warranty.

And can the oil be put back in the engine or better off disposed? (is it dirty or safe to put back)
i doubt ford will say anything ive run one on my camaro, srt-4 and my other mustang and no one has ever told me anything, i guess if your unsure better safe to just dump it

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
That was my take as well. I doubt it really causes big issues in the long run, but it makes sense that removing that oil would reduce some build up over time, so it seems like a reasonable cost to keep it a little cleaner.

Or to put it simpler, it can't hurt by having it, so what the hell.

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT

ticopowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 model s
I have a few answers based on my JLT catch can and my 2013 and 2014 GT experiences.
I have gone almost the entire 10k miles on an oil change and I emptied the catch can twice, once at about 5 and then I emptied it when I changed the oil. Both times the container was a little more than half full so I could see it filling up all the way and possibly having "globs" of oil enter the intake. I do think that on the newer ones they have a bypass built in so when the oil gets above a certain level it doesn't catch any more, but isn't high enough to enter the tube to the intake... I will have to look at mine again to answer that. JLT or your favorite brand might have that info on their product page. It is extremely easy to empty though, and honestly you could do it every oil change but there wouldn't be much oil to drain out at that point. If you empty it every couple months you won't have any issues, and it isn't (for me at least) hard to remember to do that... you are checking your oil level that often aren't you?

I wouldn't recommend putting the oil back in the oil pan. It makes sense that the oil has basically evaporated and is the same stuff as before, but with the heat of evaporation I can't imagine that all of the oil's original properties are intact, as well as all the extra detergents and stuff that makes your specific brand of oil special. I would just put it in your oil drain catch pan (or wherever else you deem fit) and not worry about it. The small amount of oil that it catches is not going to be missed by your motor in any way shape or form.

Just my 2 cents, but I hope it answers a few questions :)

Highwayman

Been there.. Done that..
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kraig
Vehicle(s)
15 OW Base GT/PP/Recarros,Built STI,Built Jeep JK
I have a AOS on my other car, they work. Especially pushed hard at track. I've got one on its way for this.

Sponsored

snkmug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Orange
Do you think this has anything to do with oil blowby due to the engine being brand new? I would not install without some type of boost adder, waste of $$

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
As I used Google to find non biased info on oil separators, I ran across an article in a 2005 post on another Mustang forum. It did not speak of brands, just that oil separators could be gotten from Home Depot For $12 :
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Californ...ilter-317/203526457?keyword=pcv+oil+separator
So would one of these clear plastic oil/water separators do the main part of the job in this application?
Maybe not as good a job as the $110+ JL and UR units, but good enough to do x% good a job as the pricier units?
I'm curius if anyone has used one of these lower tech units.

I hope it is not heresy to post an article that showed up in 2005 on a different Mustang forum. If so, let me know.

old article:
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...oil-consumption-through-the-pcv-valve.637524/

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Do you think this has anything to do with oil blow-by due to the engine being brand new? I would not install without some type of boost adder, waste of $$

Oil Separators are something the OEM has created the need for with the increase and demand for better mpg and performance and the better the PCV functions the more oil vapor / mist will get drawn through the system.

There is no blow-by problem or ring seal issue with these engines as the create a normal amount of blow-by the issue lies in the fact they have been updating the location of the vacuum source for the PCV to improve ring seal, and MPG's and this is what has allowed these systems to evolve into suck little oil suckers.

A catch can is a good investment for the longevity and overall performance of your vehicle. With that being said the cheap little home depot and air compressor separators will be able to catch some of the oil and that is a plus. But to properly take care of such a large investment it would be wise to pick a properly designed catch can system and eliminate the problem.

This is a non-biased explanation so you can just get a better handle on what a PCV has evolved from and EPA myth to the truth and correct definition of an engine tuning tool for better performance. Lastly, these are just as important on a normally aspirated vehicle as they are on a boosted application.

There is a lot more to the function of a PCV system, but this is the short and easy to understand version.

Joe Mainiero / UPRproducts

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I ordered the oil separator kit (passenger side) directly from JLT. The shipping was lightning fast!
They are offering a 5% discount now for either the black or satin anodized version. Look for the code on the JLT website.

NicksRubyRed15GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Deep impact blue 16 GT
I had a JLT and it collected a lot of oil but when the filter at the top of the can go saturated it would still let oil into the intake. The JLT is cheap and like they say you get what you pay for. Oil was still getting in my intake causing knock. My car was pulling up to 8 degrees of timing through 3rd gear. I bought a Bob's catch can and that solved my problem
Sponsored