Sponsored

JLT oil separator -569 miles

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Nick: With due respect, I find your hypothesis specious and faulty. First of all, Ford designed the engine to run with the PCV delivery oil vapor being directed back into the engine for combustion. I don't believe that Ford design the 5.0 to suffer from the vapor PCV. You should routinely empty out the can so that oil does not spill out of the top into the drain side hose.

An oil catch can is just that. It is a receptacle for oil vapor to condense into. Period. For a little can and a few feet of hose, a price $119. is more than sufficient to provide a well made product for the consumer and good profit margin for the maker.

If you want to spend $300 for another can that may have an engraved name on it or covered in chrome, you are free to do so.
If I am missing your point, please reply and explain. Thanks.
Sponsored

NicksRubyRed15GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Deep impact blue 16 GT
Some cars(mine) gets more oil blow by than others. That oil will mix with the fuel in the intake dropping the octane level cause it to knock which in return pulls timing to keep from hurting the motor. Jon Lund is the man with these motors and hit the nail on the head when I told him what catch can I was running. His first reply was to change to another brand and that should solve my problem. I switched and went out and logged the car and problem solved.
What you are saying if Ford designed these motors to accept the oil getting into the intakes? Why did anyone ever make a catch can for them? I have a friend who has never gotten a drop out of his can. My car after 250 miles has at least a 1/8th of a inch in the can. I have never let it get 1/2 full either. I always kept it clean. When I took it off guess what? The hose going into the intake had oil in it??? Fact is you get what you pay for. The JLT was $119 and did a poor job. I paid $199 for my Bob's and it solved my problem period. I use to defend JLT can when people put them down also but not anymore. My knock problem was 1 of 2 things. It was either bad gas or oil getting in the intake. I filled the car up with good 93 and put 2 bottles of Lucas fuel additive in it and went to the track. The car pulled timing every run. I switched the can and bam problem solved.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Nick: With due respect, I find your hypothesis specious and faulty. First of all, Ford designed the engine to run with the PCV delivery oil vapor being directed back into the engine for combustion. I don't believe that Ford design the 5.0 to suffer from the vapor PCV. You should routinely empty out the can so that oil does not spill out of the top into the drain side hose.

An oil catch can is just that. It is a receptacle for oil vapor to condense into. Period. For a little can and a few feet of hose, a price $119. is more than sufficient to provide a well made product for the consumer and good profit margin for the maker.

If you want to spend $300 for another can that may have an engraved name on it or covered in chrome, you are free to do so.
If I am missing your point, please reply and explain. Thanks.
To be fair, the standard Bob's is only $115 too (the $200 is the upgraded hoses/fitting kit).

There has been a lot of discussion and issues with the JLT in the past. They redesigned it too, even after denying there was any issue. You can google that issue though.

It's a bit more than a piece of hose and a can. You need to keep the setup vacuum tight. You need screens/filters to turn the vapor into a liquid; or else it would just blow through the can from intake hose through the exit hose out the other side.

Now I agree with you that there is no issue not using one, but the little extra protection cannot hurt. But you do get what you pay for too.

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Nick and BLK: Thanks for the additional information BLK. It appears that Bob's offers a filter in the 'ultimate' can as described on the website. What does the filter look like. Is it an insert or something special? Please describe it.

"This is what comes from teh JLT website concerning their catch can and filter assembly:
To combat this, we have developed an oil separator of our own design. Milled from solid billet aluminum this is a rock solid piece. It has a knurled tank base for easy removal to drain the spent oil and an O ring seal to prevent any leaks. We took this unit a step further and added a metal mesh Filter element. This element collects the vapors allowing them to grow into droplets and drop into the tank."

So both companies provide internal filtering and proper pressure sealing. So why do you both use the 'you get what you pay for" adage?

Last edited:

NicksRubyRed15GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Deep impact blue 16 GT
I just don't think it's worth my time explaining anything else to you. I have explained to you what the problem is a couple times. JLT has been known to have catch can problems and continues to have problems. I think it is safe to say you probably have a JLT catch can. Enjoy:headbonk:

Sponsored

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I just don't think it's worth my time explaining anything else to you. I have explained to you what the problem is a couple times. JLT has been known to have catch can problems and continues to have problems. I think it is safe to say you probably have a JLT catch can. Enjoy:headbonk:
Not needed. I did my due dilligence and understate the situation thoroughly. Found a better unit. Merry Xmas.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
My question is this...why only install on the passenger side of the motor? Doesn't leave the driver side bank open for the damage cause by this unwanted oil?
I don't think anyone answered this for you. The PCV hose on the driver's side is the fresh air supply path into the engine for the PCV system. On a normally aspirated car, there shouldn't be any oily fumes back flowing through that hose because the crankcase is normally under a vacuum from the intake sucking on the hose that comes off the passenger side of the engine.

Some catch-can makers (like UPR I think) do make an optional catch-can for the driver's side hose mainly for the guys with forced induction (supercharger), because with FI there could be enough pressurization of the crankcase due to boost blow-by past the rings that dirty fumes do back flow in the fresh air hose. What's bad about that is those dirty fumes will then go into the throttle body and can coat the throttle body and butterfly with oil.
Sponsored