Sponsored

JLT oil separator -569 miles

JolleyRoger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT PP
Not entirely correct. You could modify the bottom of your catch can with some kind of pressure check valve and when the car is off you could have it drain back into the oil cap or drain pan. I just don't know if there's a valve that is light enough where that little bit of oil will actually flow down through the valve.

Anyhow I'm sure it can be done, but it would require someone that is willing to put in the time, money and effort to get it done right.

How long does it take pressure inside the engine to die down to 0 after the engine shuts off?

As for the need of an oil separator, sure it does it's "job" but I don't know if it's really making any kind of difference in the performance of your engine. Is there any real data supporting the benefits of a catch can on an NA system. And I'm not just talking about seeing oil in your can. We already know it's gonna catch oil. But it doesn't mean it's really benefiting your engine any. Sure we all want a "clean" engine, but if the slime isn't hurting anything, you're fixing something that isn't broken. I know in extreme cases the oil can cause a reduction in octane and might cause you to pull timing. But has there been any of that in stock/bolt on mod NA form?
This sounds like a good idea, but "real data"...:lol::lol:
Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
This sounds like a good idea, but "real data"...:lol::lol:
Showing you have oil in the bottom of a catch can isn't data supporting any benefit to performance, at least it's not unless you have data saying that amount of oil is causing a problem in the system....so yea "real data"

Trkn8r...from what i've seen through researching online. the drivers side doesn't really have this "issue" some oil gets by but it barely collects any

and another simpler way to get it to drain back in would be to apply the same check valve at the bottom of whatever tube you use. Then install a petcock at the can and just open it up every once and a while.

Last edited:

minicobra

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thebandpetroleum.com
First Name
Braden
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT/PP
As for the need of an oil separator, sure it does it's "job" but I don't know if it's really making any kind of difference in the performance of your engine. Is there any real data supporting the benefits of a catch can on an NA system. And I'm not just talking about seeing oil in your can. We already know it's gonna catch oil. But it doesn't mean it's really benefiting your engine any. Sure we all want a "clean" engine, but if the slime isn't hurting anything, you're fixing something that isn't broken. I know in extreme cases the oil can cause a reduction in octane and might cause you to pull timing. But has there been any of that in stock/bolt on mod NA form?
Since the early 60's when the PCV systems was first used by GM and then other vehicles, most if not all didn't come with an oil separator in the PCV chain. I've used these in the past, probably will use it again, but I too often wonder if it really is a necessary component, especially on a N/A motor.
Since they are not that expensive, I guess, better safe then sorry, or on the other hand, since I only kept my last 4 vehicles a maximum of 3 years/35K, maybe I'll just keep this off.

Eagle22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 15 GT PP
430 miles on my GT. Took the stock tube off with the assistance of my six year old daughter and we could see a thin layer or oil. Off it went 15 seconds later and two little pushes to snap it in and my little mechanic installed our JLT oil can.

Just the passenger side.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
If this was that big of an issue im sure ford would have addressed it, hence tougher emissions and having oil going back into the combustion chamber would definitely affect emissions. Buts its an easy bolt on and pretty cheap.I will just trust my pcv valve until I put a blower on mine.

stulaw11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Bob's. For $110 (it and the JLT are around $100-110) I'd rather have the protection for a $6000 minimum engine to replace.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I have a Bob's. For $110 (it and the JLT are around $100-110) I'd rather have the protection for a $6000 minimum engine to replace.
I know im constantly hearing about the coyote,s blowing up because the pcv is inadequate.

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 15 Mustang GT PP, 13 F150 FX4
If this was that big of an issue im sure ford would have addressed it, hence tougher emissions and having oil going back into the combustion chamber would definitely affect emissions. Buts its an easy bolt on and pretty cheap.I will just trust my pcv valve until I put a blower on mine.
Is this something that would be required if you have a supercharger?

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT

It's not required, if you are ok with oil entering your intake plenum and don't care then that's fine. If you want to prevent it, you install an oil catch can or oil separator (same thing). If you are supercharged, you'll have oil coming back into your blower and intake as well. Why Ford hasn't done this from factory? No idea, maybe they deem it unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 15 Mustang GT PP, 13 F150 FX4
It's not required, if you are ok with oil entering your intake plenum and don't care then that's fine. If you want to prevent it, you install an oil catch can or oil separator (same thing). If you are supercharged, you'll have oil coming back into your blower and intake as well. Why Ford hasn't done this from factory? No idea, maybe they deem it unnecessary.

Judging by the amount of oil in the can by the OP, Ford probably hasn't because the average customer would never empty it

OP
OP

JASON@ANCHOR-ROOM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ANCHOR-ROOM.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
When supercharging or turbo charging u dont use thh he pcv at that point, so a catch can would be a good idea.

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Judging by the amount of oil in the can by the OP, Ford probably hasn't because the average customer would never empty it

Should be offered in the track package. I think the average customer of a PP are gear heads that know what they want out of a car and mechanically inclined.

Sponsored