Sponsored

JBL door speakers

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
They are. I replaced mine (again, on my previous track pack) and they are just paper garbage. Problem was, I installed higher impedance tweeters and the volume actually dropped, so back in the original went. Make sure you get the same impedance; otherwise, although sound is cleaner, it's muted... To be honest, with the 2 way infinity speakers in the door and the extra treble from those, it was pretty good and I did not bother anymore.
How can you tell the impedance on the 2019+ B&O speakers?
Sponsored

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
It is printed on the backside of the round magnet.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know. I removed mine and it's written on the back, is how I did... I suppose you have to take them out unless someone has already done it and can tell you :)

I decided to do my door speakers in the R also. I thought that I will always listen to the exhaust on this car, but on long drives, I still have my mp3's playing from the stick, and it's annoying how bad the sound is. I got the same speakers I had in my track pack, Infinity Kappa 62ix.
I will report back on difference.

MandoGt350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Armando
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know. I removed mine and it's written on the back, is how I did... I suppose you have to take them out unless someone has already done it and can tell you :)

I decided to do my door speakers in the R also. I thought that I will always listen to the exhaust on this car, but on long drives, I still have my mp3's playing from the stick, and it's annoying how bad the sound is. I got the same speakers I had in my track pack, Infinity Kappa 62ix.
I will report back on difference.
Are those 6.5’s?

Sponsored

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Thanks. Any way to know without disassembling?
They are the same as the upper speakers in the door according to Crutchfield.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Call me stupid or maybe I have an exquisite ear, but living in 90-100% humidity affects your speaker’s performance and I have always been able to tell quite a difference btw paper and synthetic materials.
Yes, there is a difference in the way they sound, and that's one of the things engineers take into account when designing a speaker or speaker system. Different speakers using different materials may be paired together to complement each other.

I remember paper speakers rotting out in older cars due to humidity and UV damage, and that may very well happen with the factory speakers in our Mustangs--none of them are old enough for that to happen yet as far as I know. My point is that just because they appear to be made from paper doesn't automatically mean they are garbage. Speakers made from treated paper are durable, impervious to moisture, have excellent sonic properties in the right applications and may be found in some of the best speakers on the market.

I have a pretty discerning ear too, and the Shaker-labeled setup (with subwoofer) in my Eco Premium sounds pretty damned good for a factory-installed system. If the speakers ARE cheap, the DSP does a great job of masking their worst qualities while bringing out their best. I'm not saying they are top quality--no factory system is. I just don't think they are as cheap as they are being made out to be.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Are those 6.5’s?
Yes, I installed them yesterday. Some comments..

The Metra 825605 adapters don't work; actually they work but they don't fit :)

The OEM speaker sits on it's own adapter, but the speaker is recessed into it, and it has a sponge which will press against the door face when you install it. The speaker itself is inside this whole adapter.
With those Metra adapters, the speaker sits on top....

So , when I installed back the door cover, I realized I could not make it flush with the door in the lower inside corner, as the door cover was sitting on the tweeter!
So they are too thick.

But using the small round adapters which come with the speakers, I could install them. I installed the adapters with the 3 screws just like the oem speakers, then I used some custom longer self tapping screws and installed the speaker into the adapter.

One thing to note; I realized that the speaker adapter could rattle against the door as it is a bit flimsy, so I used some thin window insulation from Home Depot against the back of the adapters before I screw them in. This way they are absolutely tight and no place to rattle. It also seals the speaker nicely on the door..

Very good sound improvement. I took her out for a spin with the sport mode on, and previously, you could not make up much on the music; all was drowned by the exhaust and was a bit of a mess... Now I can clearly hear the music AND the exhaust.

I did not use the wiring adapters either. I just used some good solid speaker wire, cut the original plug and soldered it on. The speaker end is installed by the means of tightening screws on the Infinity speakers, so all good. I don't like plugs, I prefer proper soldering at all times if I can.
Make sure you respect the polarity on the wires though; it will work if not, but it will not sound the same.

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the speaker wiring color diagram... The negative for the left is the white/brown wire, and white /ogre for the right. Took me a bloody while to work out what is what on the right, as you can't tell the colors much... Plus I was not sure what "OGRE" is. but it's the red looking strip.
6.png

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
The tweeter is 8 ohm. Made in China ............. Shame on Ford !
Left tweeter.jpg

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The tweeter is 8 ohm. Made in China ............. Shame on Ford !
Left tweeter.jpg
8 ohms. Good info; thanks. Lots of parts on our cars are made in China, as probably is the computer keyboard that tweeter is sitting on. What specifically makes that particular tweeter poor quality?