cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I'm changing out the door speakers. Still thinking about the A pillar speakers.
Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I'm changing out the door speakers. Still thinking about the A pillar speakers.
Paper piezo tweeters are the worst... high frequencies and paper suck. If I find mine are paper, which if the doors are it’s likely they will be too, mine are out.

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
@DrumReaper, I'll lay good money on the A pillar speakers being Taiwan garbage too.

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
The A pillar and rear deck speakers are no more difficult to replace than the door speakers. The A pillar in particular is pretty easy to do. Unless you go with some kind of DSP and get rid of the factory amp and processing the rear deck isn’t really worth it though as the amount of power sent to the rear really limits what a speaker can do.
Absolutely right. I did go through the trouble of replacing rear shelf speakers on my 16 track pack, and it made absolutely zero difference ... not enough sound coming, and it's also muted a bit due to the way they hit (in the rear window)
The biggest gain I had (without going to an additional amp) is replacing the front door speakers with Infinitis 2 ways, the 62ix, with the tweeter pointed to the driver head and set to max volume (they have a switch so you can select more or less treble volume).

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Paper piezo tweeters are the worst... high frequencies and paper suck. If I find mine are paper, which if the doors are it’s likely they will be too, mine are out.
They are. I replaced mine (again, on my previous track pack) and they are just paper garbage. Problem was, I installed higher impedance tweeters and the volume actually dropped, so back in the original went. Make sure you get the same impedance; otherwise, although sound is cleaner, it's muted... To be honest, with the 2 way infinity speakers in the door and the extra treble from those, it was pretty good and I did not bother anymore.

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
They are. I replaced mine (again, on my previous track pack) and they are just paper garbage. Problem was, I installed higher impedance tweeters and the volume actually dropped, so back in the original went. Make sure you get the same impedance; otherwise, although sound is cleaner, it's muted... To be honest, with the 2 way infinity speakers in the door and the extra treble from those, it was pretty good and I did not bother anymore.
That's why the tech at Best buy said don't mess with them.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, understood. I’ve been looking at a matched set from Crutchfield for our setup and have heard good things about Infinity’s Reference series in Mustangs. I’ll update what I do but it probably won’t be till next year.

TwinkESaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
5 star car stereo in Clearwater has done 2 S550 Mustangs, the videos are great. I plan on trying to follow them when I get to upgrading my fronts(just finished replacing the stock B&O sub with a plywood enclosure).

Check out the following series from 5 star:

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Yeah that’s no bueno... paper sucks.
I don't know who manufactured the speakers Ford installs in the Mustang, but there is nothing inherently inferior in paper speakers. Some of the best consumer-grade speakers on the market use paper drivers. Paper speakers got a bad rap for use in automobiles because untreated paper tends to absorb moisture and rot over time. Modern speakers use treated (added plastic, rubber, even kevlar) to prevent those kinds of issues. I have no idea how to look at a speaker and determine exactly what the material is made from, but just because they look like paper doesn't mean they're automatically garbage.

Speaker design (like all engineering) is a series of tradeoffs. The choice of speaker material is one of the tradeoffs required. You can read more here:

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/loudspeaker-drivers/diaphragm-material

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know who manufactured the speakers Ford installs in the Mustang, but there is nothing inherently inferior in paper speakers. Some of the best consumer-grade speakers on the market use paper drivers. Paper speakers got a bad rap for use in automobiles because untreated paper tends to absorb moisture and rot over time. Modern speakers use treated (added plastic, rubber, even kevlar) to prevent those kinds of issues. I have no idea how to look at a speaker and determine exactly what the material is made from, but just because they look like paper doesn't mean they're automatically garbage.

Speaker design (like all engineering) is a series of tradeoffs. The choice of speaker material is one of the tradeoffs required. You can read more here:

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/loudspeaker-drivers/diaphragm-material
Call me stupid or maybe I have an exquisite ear, but living in 90-100% humidity affects your speaker’s performance and I have always been able to tell quite a difference btw paper and synthetic materials.

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
They are made in the Republic of China.

OP