Sponsored

Issues through 80k miles?

RemoteSenses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 RR
So here's the scoop. I leased a 2015 V6 base and loved that car. When the lease was up 3 years later, I went for something more practical. I'm back to shopping around and man....your average Econobox makes me want to blow my brains out. Now I'm trying to look for used Mustangs, 2015+. I don't care if it's Ecoboost, V6, or V8.

A lot of stuff I see in my price range ($15k-$20k) seems to be anywhere from 40k miles to 70k miles. I haven't been in the loop on these cars since I traded mine in - what kind of issues are people seeing? Are these somewhat reliable past 60k miles or should I move away from that in general?

I know this is a basic ass question and reading some other threads I've found some answers, but just looking for advice in general and would appreciate it!

TLDR, looking for 2015+ Mustangs, $15k-$20k, 30-70k miles, what should I be looking for or worried about? Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
RemoteSenses

RemoteSenses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 RR
I might even be in the wrong forum because I'm an idiot....mods, move the thread if need be.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Water pump failures are common in that mileage range. The big issue that you'll want to look for is the evaporator core failure. They're almost guaranteed on 15-17 cars from what I've seen around here. If it hasn't been replaced yet, you'll probably be doing it. It's a dash out job so it's rather expensive.

OP
OP
RemoteSenses

RemoteSenses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 RR
Water pump failures are common in that mileage range. The big issue that you'll want to look for is the evaporator core failure. They're almost guaranteed on 15-17 cars from what I've seen around here. If it hasn't been replaced yet, you'll probably be doing it. It's a dash out job so it's rather expensive.
Good to know. After 70k miles though? Are they pretty reliable/easy repairs? I can do a lot of things on my own. Mine was reliable the time I had it, through 36k, but hey that's nothing.

Right now I'm specifically looking at a 2015 Ecoboost with 71k miles for $16k, and a 2016 Ecoboost Premium 67k miles for $19k. Obviously these prices would be negotiable. I'm just trying to figure out if I should overall just stay wayyyyyyyyyyyyy far away from these cars or work a deal for a few grand off of them. Thoughts?

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
If you can wait, used car prices are crazy right now... But I think you can get a new base EB for around 22-23 with rebates. I'd do that before spending 19 on a car with 60-70K miles because after you put 50K more miles on, the used car will be virtually worthless but the new car with 50K miles will still have good residual value.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I would expand your budget a bit and look for a 2018 model with the A10. Avoid the evaporator core issue.
Sponsored