Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
https://jfk-auto.com/product/2020-shelby-gt350r-heritage-edition-10-miles/

Saw the ad originally posted on Mustang Market buy,sell, or trade on Facebook.

Wow...
Can't blame him for trying. It is a nice car. I'd pay $90k or so for it. I paid $85k for a non R Heritage. Holding on to cars, not driving them and keeping them garaged, insured, charged, and in mint condition is a lot of work and not cheap. Driving them is my game. I already put R type wheels on mine and would love to find a nice R wing and splitter for cheap. God bless the person who can afford to pay $230k for it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would pay $40k for it, maybe. I'd rather have a different color with no stripes and I think the non-R is better for my use. I don't want the Recaros, either. IMO that car is best as garage art and bragging rights.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Well, given that this represents the end of the line for the GT350, it has now entered into "collector car" status. Sort of like the "mint in box" collectable action figure equivalent for some hedge fund manager. Cars like this end up in garages like Jay Leno's. It won't be bought to be driven (or even looked at all that often), it will be bought to be "owned".

The long term collectability for cars like this is an interesting question though. Unlike cars made back in the 60's, it is going to be very hard to keep modern cars drivable 60 years from now. The electronics will fail at some point and there will be no practical way to maintain them (think of things like finding a replacement for an LCD dashboard screen). Whether that matters to the collector crowd who never drives their cars, I don't know ...

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Well, given that this represents the end of the line for the GT350, it has now entered into "collector car" status. Sort of like the "mint in box" collectable action figure equivalent for some hedge fund manager. Cars like this end up in garages like Jay Leno's. It won't be bought to be driven (or even looked at all that often), it will be bought to be "owned".

The long term collectability for cars like this is an interesting question though. Unlike cars made back in the 60's, it is going to be very hard to keep modern cars drivable 60 years from now. The electronics will fail at some point and there will be no practical way to maintain them (think of things like finding a replacement for an LCD dashboard screen). Whether that matters to the collector crowd who never drives their cars, I don't know ...
There has been and will be much speculation about the long term viability of replacement parts for today’s car’s electronics. It’s sheer speculation at this point and I for one won’t be around to know the actual outcome. But this much is true: if there’s a profitable market for them then that demand will be met. These parts may not be available down at your local EV Zone parts store, but they’ll be available if the demand is there. I personally think it will be, given the sheer number of these cars extant today.

To extrapolate on this while veering off a bit, those families lucky enough to inherit completely unmolested examples of today’s high performance ICE vehicles will be sitting pretty. Imagine finding a low mileage bone stock and well-preserved example of say a ‘69 396/375 Camaro today. Nothing too exotic but maybe roughly analogous to a current Mustang GT that had been kept stock and well-curated.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
There has been and will be much speculation about the long term viability of replacement parts for today’s car’s electronics. It’s sheer speculation at this point and I for one won’t be around to know the actual outcome. But this much is true: if there’s a profitable market for them then that demand will be met. These parts may not be available down at your local EV Zone parts store, but they’ll be available if the demand is there. I personally think it will be, given the sheer number of these cars extant today.

To extrapolate on this while veering off a bit, those families lucky enough to inherit completely unmolested examples of today’s high performance ICE vehicles will be sitting pretty. Imagine finding a low mileage bone stock and well-preserved example of say a ‘69 396/375 Camaro today. Nothing too exotic but maybe roughly analogous to a current Mustang GT that had been kept stock and well-curated.
I agree that availability will be demand driven, but the problem with electronics that are unique to a particular application is that there is no way to one-off or even small run manufacture them. The tooling costs are astronomical and need to be amortized over extremely high volumes. The costs to reverse engineer such components is also significant, and once again would need very high volumes to justify (and it is doubtful Ford or other manufacturers would ever open source their designs).

I think a more likely avenue will be the stripping of functioning parts out of junkers that get hoarded by some enterprising salvage companies. That could create a potentially useful supply for the collectors in need. But I would expect such parts to be very pricey as the supply will be finite. Of course, that needs to start now before all these cars get sent off to the crusher as they start to age out. The problem is that salvaging individual components will require a lot of labor and the investment is not likely to pay off any time soon.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
There has been and will be much speculation about the long term viability of replacement parts for today’s car’s electronics. It’s sheer speculation at this point and I for one won’t be around to know the actual outcome. But this much is true: if there’s a profitable market for them then that demand will be met.
You make a good point as I bought a beat-up non-running 65 Mustang with a 289 in the past as a project and got it to a running condition. It was simple enough that I was able to get a generic wiring and fuse box combo to replace all the frayed and cracked under hood wiring, in addition swapping to an aftermarket small block ford intake manifold and carb.

Unfortunately, modern cars have less shareable parts. so I foresee demand for specific parts be less. For example, you can't just go to a junk yard and get a manifold and rest of the EFI system from a 5.0 F150 and expect them to work on a Mustang GT.

My greater concern is that we may not even be able to get gas in the future, in addition to less interest in cars by the younger generation.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
911 GT3 is my ultimate dreamcar.

Longitude Zero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium, 2007 Mustang V6.
We have a lot of idiots out there,he would not ask it if he was not thinking he could get it..

IMO the auto market is about to drop like a tank,a year from now dealers will be begging for your business ..Remember who tried to screw you in 2021 and 2022
Agreed.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking at some cars from the early 2000's.
The electronics, while not tremendously complex, are very difficult to source or repair.
The early navigation screens are now so outdated and archaic, that there is no viable way to upgrade.

YankeeVol

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT/CS, '22 F-150 Tremor
Can't blame him for trying. It is a nice car. I'd pay $90k or so for it. I paid $85k for a non R Heritage. Holding on to cars, not driving them and keeping them garaged, insured, charged, and in mint condition is a lot of work and not cheap. Driving them is my game. I already put R type wheels on mine and would love to find a nice R wing and splitter for cheap. God bless the person who can afford to pay $230k for it.
I don't get it. We recently had a '14 GT500 that only had 1,320ish miles. It stilled smelled new.

I don't get not driving it. That's the damn point!
Sponsored