Sponsored

Is Steeda ProFlow Closed CAI worth it?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I read through some of the earlier threads about the Steeda's closed box CAI. I like the idea of it, but after seeing some of the idling issues, I'm wondering if they finally have that resolved. If so, have any of you guys using the Steeda CAI been pleased with the results? What were any undesirable effect...like gas mileage, engine idle issues, etc.
I live in Washington state, so the only decent gas readily available is 92 octane pump gas. E85 is hard to find around where I live, so I run 92 all the time.

I ask this, because for the CAI which needs a tune, it's basically a $1,000.00 investment.

My next question, is if I decide to go this route, I am also considering the H-pipe, and Steeda axle back mufflers. Knowing it will open up the exhaust and give more flow, how does that affect the standard tune that Steeda has for their CAI?
Sponsored

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I read through some of the earlier threads about the Steeda's closed box CAI. I like the idea of it, but after seeing some of the idling issues, I'm wondering if they finally have that resolved. If so, have any of you guys using the Steeda CAI been pleased with the results? What were any undesirable effect...like gas mileage, engine idle issues, etc.
I live in Washington state, so the only decent gas readily available is 92 octane pump gas. E85 is hard to find around where I live, so I run 92 all the time.

I ask this, because for the CAI which needs a tune, it's basically a $1,000.00 investment.

My next question, is if I decide to go this route, I am also considering the H-pipe, and Steeda axle back mufflers. Knowing it will open up the exhaust and give more flow, how does that affect the standard tune that Steeda has for their CAI?
Did you get the Steeda CAI, i was researching it as well.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Generally CAIs have small increases in performance, especially over the 18+ intake which is much bigger than the previous years.

You're spending $400 for ~5hp which doesn't seem like a good bang for the buck.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
Generally CAIs have small increases in performance, especially over the 18+ intake which is much bigger than the previous years.

You're spending $400 for ~5hp which doesn't seem like a good bang for the buck.
I was getting it from a member on here for 260 along with the SCT BDX for 215. I'm debating if i should keep the stock intake and go with a Lund Flex fuel tune or get the Steeda CAI and run a 91/93 tune. E85 isn't available much where i live

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The Steeda closed box CAI is not worth it. The MAF readings are erratic. You can get by with a 93 octane tune and be fine with it or possibly a straight E85 tune, but Flex Fuel won't work because it won't learn properly. Any 2018+ owner should stick with the stock box and a drop in filter.

I'm about to hook up the 2018 stock intake and Airaid tube to my 17 GT with the 2018 manifold. Summertime temps hit 102 here with 40% humidity just about daily in June\July\August.

Sponsored

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
The Steeda closed box CAI is not worth it. The MAF readings are erratic. You can get by with a 93 octane tune and be fine with it or possibly a straight E85 tune, but Flex Fuel won't work because it won't learn properly. Any 2018+ owner should stick with the stock box and a drop in filter.

I'm about to hook up the 2018 stock intake and Airaid tube to my 17 GT with the 2018 manifold. Summertime temps hit 102 here with 40% humidity just about daily in June\July\August.
+1. That intake is super overpriced considering it reuses the lower half of the stock airbox. 2nd as Zelek said the intake has issues due where the MAF is placed. I tried switching from the Airaid intake to it and the driveability was terrible. I had Idle and rev hang issues when coming to a stop. Plus the fact that you cannot do flex tunes with it, i ditched it and went back to Airaid.

If you want a closed box intake the 2018+ stock one is hard to beat.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Correct, from what I have read it doesnt like the flex tune.... I however have a steeda set up.. Havent installed as I just received my ngauge and lund tunes last night. I also ordered LTH and carbon DS. This lockdown is killin me.:whew:.. But from all I have read 20-25hp and 4-8trq at the wheels vs 18+ intake

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Correct, from what I have read it doesnt like the flex tune.... I however have a steeda set up.. Havent installed as I just received my ngauge and lund tunes last night. I also ordered LTH and carbon DS. This lockdown is killin me.:whew:.. But from all I have read 20-25hp and 4-8trq at the wheels vs 18+ intake
Majority of that is the tune since it requires a tune. The tuners themselves will just tell you to stick with the stock box if you are N/A.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
@Zelek pretty much nail on the head.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
@Zelek, Does this intake make any noticeable noise in the cabin under acceleration like a forced induction/whistle.. whoosh kind of noise; not sure how to describe it, i noticed when riding in the Steeda red Q500 car last year when i visited their location. Dario mentioned it was the intake, wondering if it's the same one in that car ?

Thanks

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
But from all I have read 20-25hp and 4-8trq at the wheels vs 18+ intake
Alejandro Flores (tuner extraordinaire) showed multiple times of up to 30 hp LOSSES with aftermarket CAI's in real world street driving conditions. High IAT's and the pcm pulling a ton of timing.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
@Zelek, Does this intake make any noticeable noise in the cabin under acceleration like a forced induction/whistle.. whoosh kind of noise; not sure how to describe it, i noticed when riding in the Steeda red Q500 car last year when i visited their location. Dario mentioned it was the intake, wondering if it's the same one in that car ?

Thanks
There is no extra noise. It's actually really quiet compared to the other intakes because it's closed off like stock. Watching the MAF readings on my nGauge, you could see how turbulent it was even at idle.

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
The whole forum seems to be focus on keeping OEM 18+ cold air. But you see every youtuber & guys at the track using JLT or PMAS.
Whats the truth behind this, is it really worse than stock ? Guys are running in the high 10 with PMAS & minor bolt-ons. If its worse than stock i don't know what to say

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The whole forum seems to be focus on keeping OEM 18+ cold air
Send me your stock 18 setup and I'll send you my JLT CAI, then have at her.