Sponsored

Is magneride worth it?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
If your car has PP1 and not magneride can one upgrade to the magneride shocks?
Quick answer - no.

Longer answer - not easily - there are threads where people tried to it, some claimed wiring exists (I posted pics for them to verify if they have the wiring), some hardware (control arms, hubs) is different too, car will need ride height sensors, VDM (controller) and likely reprogrammed BCM.
So - no if by upgrade you mean something like swapping dampers. In normal times, it would be easier to trade and buy a new car, not sure now.
Sponsored

PhotoSHO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 GT PP1
KZ, thank you very much for the prompt answer. Just curious if it was a easy mod.

Everyone stay safe out there and check those 2020 engine build dates :)

truckinguy92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Performance Pack
This is my 1st Mustang with it and absolutely love it. Looking forward to putting it to the test in two weeks at Pocono Raceway. My girlfriend got it for me for my birthday. Raceway experience + bring your own.

truckinguy92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Depends, yes they will cost more than basic shock/struts to replace when they wear out. but have you priced out GOOD 2 way or 3 way adjustable struts/shocks/coil overs? THose you have to get under the car and hood, to make changes, this you do from your seat, the aftermarket ones have much more in ways of settings, but other than an all out track car, it is over kill.
I have the mag ride. It is worth it, at least to me. to be able to soften the ride on wash board ,frost heave roads, my back thanks me.
But when I want to play, I have a much more responsive under pinning to keep the tire contact patch on the road.
I also think now that many vehicles now use this technology that the prices for wear parts will be lower than what the first cars that came with it cost. It'll be worth wild for shock companies to get into this segment of replacement parts, were before the number of units out there did not make it worth it.
Prices drop when you have a bunch of companies fighting for your dollar.
This is my first car with this, and it is better than the old way of one side fits all performance shock valving that can be very harsh on many roads.
If you live in an area that the roads are awesome, it might not be as big of a deal.
To me, the first time getting out of work with a sore back and being able to tone down the ride over bumps, was a god send and made it well worth the extra money.
My present is a 2021 PP MR fastback. I have to say even in normal mode it’s not as smooth riding as my 2020 GT without MR convertible was. I know it’s hard to really compare a convertible to a fastback but that’s my take on it.

Last edited:

truckinguy92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I have experienced Magneride in everything from Ferrari, to GMC to Honda and can say that comfort mode in Mustang vert is the weakest by far VS the absolute best in Ferrari where it is utterly amazing majic carpet ride haha.

Maybe it was because the Mustang was brand new with 10 miles on it....
That may very well be but a Ferrari costs what, 5 times a Mustang fully loaded? It better be a “utterly amazing magic carpet ride” 😎

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
If you're going to track your car that's one thing. Or maybe you're the kind of person who wants to have maximum go fast stuff on your car even though you know you'll likely never use it. I get that. Who doesn't love bragging rights and bench racing?

But I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of owners of dead stock base GTs are not able to use the capabilities of their cars on the street as it is.
This is actually where I feel Magneride is really good as well. I track my car and putting it in track mode really makes a difference. The one drawback my PP2 has vs a GT350 is I think the 350 can put the suspension in one mode while the drive mode is separate. So say shocks in Sport with drive mode in Track. I also really like having the Active Valve Exhaust. Being able to have it start in quiet mode is nice. Again, having a base car I can't setup My Mode but still Magneride is awesome to have.
Sponsored