Sponsored

Intercooler Upgrade Question

rvercitypony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford mustang Ecoboost
Is their any advantage to installing a large intercooler like the ATM, ETS, CPE, etc., for a modded (see mods below) and tuned car with the stock turbo charger? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Sponsored

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Is their any advantage to installing a large intercooler like the ATM, ETS, CPE, etc., for a modded (see mods below) and tuned car with the stock turbo charger? Thanks in advance for your replies.
I’m guessing by your question that you have the smaller CPE intercooler, not the V2. In answer to your question, yes there is an advantage. A larger intercooler will be less susceptible to heat soak due to hotter climate or back to back hard pulls. Recovery time is also shorter to bring the temp back down. Since you’ve already replaced your stock intercooler, the real questions become, what are your ultimate goals and how do you drive it? Are you monitoring charge temp and seeing any indication that heat is still a problem?

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I’m guessing by your question that you have the smaller CPE intercooler, not the V2. In answer to your question, yes there is an advantage. A larger intercooler will be less susceptible to heat soak due to hotter climate or back to back hard pulls. Recovery time is also shorter to bring the temp back down. Since you’ve already replaced your stock intercooler, the real questions become, what are your ultimate goals and how do you drive it? Are you monitoring charge temp and seeing any indication that heat is still a problem?
Well said

OP
OP

rvercitypony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford mustang Ecoboost
Yes, I have the smaller CP-E intercooler, which I installed before modding or tuning the car. Because I live in Southern CA, any cooling issues are really going to crop up starting in June, with the ambient temps being high until late November. I will start hardcore monitoring of charge temps during that period. However,your advice sounds solid and will lead me to stepping up to a larger intercooler.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I have the smaller CP-E intercooler, which I installed before modding or tuning the car. Because I live in Southern CA, any cooling issues are really going to crop up starting in June, with the ambient temps being high until late November. I will start hardcore monitoring of charge temps during that period. However,your advice sounds solid and will lead me to stepping up to a larger intercooler.
I live in Florida where it is extremely hot and humid. This is my second EcoBoost, and I learned a lot from modding the first one. I decided to stop buying “just enough” to meet minimum requirements and then spending more anyway later on to upgrade again. The first time around I got the Mishimoto unit which was barely adequate. This time around I put in the ATM unit and am extremely satisfied with the performance. The efficient flow on the ATM intercooler offsets pressure drop due to volume you normally get in larger units. The stock turbo pairs very well with this intercooler and if you ever upgrade your turbo you’ll be ready.

Sponsored

O.L.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joël
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost NFG
I decided to stop buying “just enough” to meet minimum requirements and then spending more anyway later on to upgrade again.
I'm looking for the small cp-e intercooler. Where I live, there might be 30 days in a year where the temps are over 85-90. I'm staying stock. No intake, only cp-e charges pipes, HKS BOV and the small cp-e intercooler. Is it worth buying it, stay stock, or go for the big(race) one?

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I'm looking for the small cp-e intercooler. Where I live, there might be 30 days in a year where the temps are over 85-90. I'm staying stock. No intake, only cp-e charges pipes, HKS BOV and the small cp-e intercooler. Is it worth buying it, stay stock, or go for the big(race) one?
The engine still gets hot. My temps climb when pushing it hard even in 60 degree weather. An intercooler is always a worthwhile upgrade for these cars. If ur on the fence, do it. If you do not live in a hot climate or don't track your car then you likely dont need a big one, a smaller unit will serve u well, hit up cvfab and they can hook you up.

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
The engine still gets hot. My temps climb when pushing it hard even in 60 degree weather. An intercooler is always a worthwhile upgrade for these cars. If ur on the fence, do it. If you do not live in a hot climate or don't track your car then you likely dont need a big one, a smaller unit will serve u well, hit up cvfab and they can hook you up.
Happy to hook you up with discount codes and answer any questions you may have as well - thanks for the shout out Cardude! :like:
Sponsored