Sponsored

Intercooler selection

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Trying to figure out best value and performance Intercooler to install. Right now between cvf street Intercooler($360) vs mishimoto performance ic($680). Will likely get it installed by a shop so consider the price of installation as well. Is the $320 extra worth it for the mishimoto or is the cvf better for the price? or is there another ic better than both at a reasonable price? Also should I buy a charge pipe kit or will I be fine running the stock ones?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
If you're okay spending the $680 for the Mishi one, why not get the common recommendation of the CV Fab Race intercooler?

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
I am happy with my CVfab street IC but then I don't track the car, just some drag strip runs occasionally.

I have heard of some issue with race ICs rubbing on the A/C condenser causing a refrigerant leak.

BD

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
I am happy with my CVfab street IC but then I don't track the car, just some drag strip runs occasionally.

I have heard of some issue with race ICs rubbing on the A/C condenser causing a refrigerant leak.

BD
As an FYI - the condenser issue has been resolved as we've upgraded the accessories and top mounts to place it further away from the AC. The issue hasn't occurred for some time.

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The ICs sit so low in the front that you really only see the top 1/3 of it and have to get to ground level to even see that much of it. I choose black as my preference.

BD

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Get the CVF Street if you're making less than 500 HP and Race if you're going higher. The Mish is not a better piece.

TimH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2021 ecoboost Mustang
Get the CVF Street if you're making less than 500 HP and Race if you're going higher. The Mish is not a better piece.
I am happy with my CVF race intercooler but had to take out the shtoud abd its an issue blocking the radiator.

mrbill00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 eco
Get the biggest you can afford. NO piping changes needed. None....
I got the big ETS intercooler (20x14x3.5)that goes up to the front grill opening.
No lag. Great driveability. Runs 12.80's at 108. Gets 30-33 mpg on trips.
Did this in 2017 and have lived happy ever after.
76 year old former muscle car guy from the 60's

Sponsored

Dannyh1991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Upgraded mine yesterday, although being in the UK I used a company based here called Airtec. Their design was taller and went Infront of the AC condenser.
PXL_20231027_143258185~2.jpg

PXL_20231027_160906062.jpg

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I picked up a second hand, but never installed Mishimoto IC for less than the CVF, so a no-brainer. Is it any better than the CVF? I have no idea, but I did use the savings to buy CVF charge pipes. It's been 4 years and I'm happy with the combo. For the retail price difference, I'd have no problem going with the CVF IC.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I did just the opposite with buying a new CVFab IC and used CVFab charge pipes and have had them on for almost 2 years with no issues or complaints as well.

BD

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
As an FYI - the condenser issue has been resolved as we've upgraded the accessories and top mounts to place it further away from the AC. The issue hasn't occurred for some time.
Does the Race require charge tubes? Read a few post where folks couldn't get the factory ones to work.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Does the Race require charge tubes? Read a few post where folks couldn't get the factory ones to work.
The race IC does not require charge pipes to be replaced but it does require you to buy the race silicone hose kit since the race IC has larger diameter outlets than the street IC. You will definitely struggle to get the factory rubber hoses on the race IC outlets.

CVF Replacement Couplers and Clamps for Mustang EcoBoost Intercooler P – CV Fabrication (CVF)

@cvf-jason can confirm if I am correct, but I believe I am since the charge pipe kit I bought used was for a race IC and I had to contact him to purchase just the silicone hoses for my street IC so they did not fit so loose.

I would reach out to him at the above post #4 in this thread.

BD
Sponsored