Sponsored

2018 EcoBoost Intake & Intercooler QUESTION!

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Race Red EcoBoost Premium
What’s up Mustang6G,

So, recently purchased my 2018 EcoBoost!

I’m very new to the culture and mods, etcetera, so I wanted to ask;

I know that the EcoBoost is praised for its’ “modding room/capabilities”. - I don’t want more crazy power, but wanted to hear your thoughts on...say, an Intake, and an Intercooler.

What are the Best of those two on the market?

Will it harm or hurt the car’s long-term wear or do anything to push the car more then it’s meant to at all? Will those two damage the reliability?

If I do decide to in the future, I’d want some small power, not a whole turbo upgrade. - But out of curiosity, is there a reliable way to upgrade a turbo? Say you got $4k lying around, and want to slap a bigger turbo. Is there a way to do so without causing the car to lose reliability/wear harder?

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the knowledge!
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Stock intake is the best, with a drop in filter. Proven via dyno and testing, but I don't think it even matters. Like a couple hp difference, but an aftermarket CAI can throw out some nice swoooosh sucking noises.

Intercooler, any FMIC would work. I went CPE, you can't do any harm by tossing anything in there over oem intercooler, there's CVF or CPE for great affordable intercoolers, I wouldn't go oversized with anything bigger than the stock location intercooler mount. You can get turbo lag from the air pressure etc.

That said, I like my CPE intake. Lol looks sweet, and gives some sound under heavy throttle that I never heard with oem. since its fully sealed.
IMG_2554.jpg

OP
OP

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Race Red EcoBoost Premium
Thoughts on a Roush Intake? - I think I saw it in an AmericanMuscle magazine. - And do I get a BAMA Tuner thingy for it?

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
It's always a good idea to figure out how you plan to use the vehicle before you start modding. Street, strip, AutoX, HPDE, all require different setups for optimal performance and/or reliability.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
COBB stage 3

accessport_v3_mustang.jpg

FORD MUSTANG ECOBOOST ACCESSPORT V3
$ 550.00
Availability: Ships in 24 hours

DETAILS
REMOVE
5M2150_main.jpg

FORD CAT-BACK EXHAUST MUSTANG ECOBOOST 2015-2019 V2
$ 1,095.00

DETAILS
REMOVE
7M1500_main.jpg

FORD FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER MUSTANG ECOBOOST 2015-2019
$ 850.00

DETAILS
REMOVE
5M2212_main.jpg

FORD CATTED 3" DOWNPIPE MUSTANG ECOBOOST 2015-2019
$ 595.00

DETAILS
REMOVE
7M1100_main.jpg

FORD COLD AIR INTAKE MUSTANG ECOBOOST 2015-2019
$ 350.00

DETAILS
REMOVE
800200_main.jpg

COBB VEHICLE BADGE
$ 19.95

DETAILS

Sponsored

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium (Lightning Blue)
Stock intake is the best, with a drop in filter. Proven via dyno and testing, but I don't think it even matters. Like a couple hp difference, but an aftermarket CAI can throw out some nice swoooosh sucking noises.

Intercooler, any FMIC would work. I went CPE, you can't do any harm by tossing anything in there over oem intercooler, there's CVF or CPE for great affordable intercoolers, I wouldn't go oversized with anything bigger than the stock location intercooler mount. You can get turbo lag from the air pressure etc.

That said, I like my CPE intake. Lol looks sweet, and gives some sound under heavy throttle that I never heard with oem. since its fully sealed.
IMG_2554.jpg
Hey Donald, I am looking for upgrading my intercooler. Do you think I can go for CPE as well? Also, remember I have my FP tune installed, do I have to do anything before I upgrade the intercooler?

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Phillip, you're in Seattle so if you don't do your own work take your car to Brads Custom Auto in Lake City and talk to Brad. They specialize in Mustangs and Corvettes. I've had my '15 EB in there several times and they do top quality work and are a Ford Performance dealer.

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Phillip, you're in Seattle so if you don't do your own work take your car to Brads Custom Auto in Lake City and talk to Brad. They specialize in Mustangs and Corvettes. I've had my '15 EB in there several times and they do top quality work and are a Ford Performance dealer.
Hi Vic! OMG, I first checked the website about them, I thought -.- their shop look old... But NOW! After what you have told me, I think I will have them install the intercooler for me once I confirm which brand I want to go with.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Hi Vic! OMG, I first checked the website about them, I thought -.- their shop look old... But NOW! After what you have told me, I think I will have them install the intercooler for me once I confirm which brand I want to go with.
Call and talk to Dane about IC choices. I went with the Vortech which is one of the best (and expensive) but I'm moving to AZ in a year and will be tracking the car and I needed the best to not heatsoak. My IC install photo's are on Brad's Custom Auto Facebook page.

Oh, and don't judge a book by it's cover, that "old" shop is filled with all the best tools and equipment.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Hey Donald, I am looking for upgrading my intercooler. Do you think I can go for CPE as well? Also, remember I have my FP tune installed, do I have to do anything before I upgrade the intercooler?
FWIW, My very first mod was an aftermarket intercooler. I drove it that way for about 1k miles before i installed the FP tune. The FP tune will not take full advantage of the intercooler like a custom tune would but the FP tune works very well with the upgraded intercooler.

Sponsored

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
FWIW, My very first mod was an aftermarket intercooler. I drove it that way for about 1k miles before i installed the FP tune. The FP tune will not take full advantage of the intercooler like a custom tune would but the FP tune works very well with the upgraded intercooler.
Hi Dave, which brand do you go with?

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Call and talk to Dane about IC choices. I went with the Vortech which is one of the best (and expensive) but I'm moving to AZ in a year and will be tracking the car and I needed the best to not heatsoak. My IC install photo's are on Brad's Custom Auto Facebook page.

Oh, and don't judge a book by it's cover, that "old" shop is filled with all the best tools and equipment.
Hi Vic, I think the Vortech most likely might not be an easier fit to my 2018 compared to 2015-2017. Idk I heard people are saying theres a slight difference in terms of fitment of intercooler for 2018+. I think Vortech one is like extreme for racing.. which Idk if -.- I should follow the same...

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I installed an oversized intercooler on my 2018 last year. It was a bit fiddly to get it in place, but not bad. Works great.
7PztaWtqzcj7i9O5MDnBytnEtlkbHmg8M2Ywn9-hzNmi8vf_Y21egUMW0G2ftLohvrPpZffhDwqIUi-Uud=w1285-h723-no.jpg

gOD7UqZ9vWfRHp0d1BJmkJ36pQuqbAHFGhYXNCFOCpn8TD2Kf8MQChz8wD7JoL7KCL_uD1XZZX6lp-23i7=w1285-h723-no.jpg
Sponsored