Intercooler Pump Switch

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
I have a 2019 with the Roush setup (I know..... it came on the car when I bought it for 10k under MSRP.... don't judge...lol). I would like to install a switch to allow me to manually turn on the intercooler pump. Does anyone know of the easiest way to accomplish this?
Sponsored

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
You need a test light to figure this out. Do this with the ignition off. On the relay there are terminals numbered 85, and 86. Find out which terminal has constant power. If it is terminal 85 then grounding out terminal 86 will turn on the pump. If terminal 86 has constant power then grounding terminal 85 will turn on the pump. Put a switch between the ground terminal and ground to turn on the pump.

OP
OP
JasinEdward

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
You need a test light to figure this out. Do this with the ignition off. On the relay there are terminals numbered 85, and 86. Find out which terminal has constant power. If it is terminal 85 then grounding out terminal 86 will turn on the pump. If terminal 86 has constant power then grounding terminal 85 will turn on the pump. Put a switch between the ground terminal and ground to turn on the pump.
I'll have to get a test light this weekend and check. Is there one you recommend?

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
I'll have to get a test light this weekend and check. Is there one you recommend?
Any 12V tester should do. Its just a bulb on a pointer and a ground wire, Any automotive store will have one.

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
The way I described how to do it is the way Ford has done it on factory supercharged cars. Roush may do it differently. If you don't find a constant voltage on either terminal 85, or 86 with the key off, post a message here, and I'll tell you what to do.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 with the Roush setup (I know..... it came on the car when I bought it for 10k under MSRP.... don't judge...lol). I would like to install a switch to allow me to manually turn on the intercooler pump. Does anyone know of the easiest way to accomplish this?
Does the IC pump not operate full-time when the car is running?

OP
OP
JasinEdward

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
Does the IC pump not operate full-time when the car is running?
It runs full time when the car is on, but when the car is off is when I see the heat soak cause havok... for example, I make 4 passes and see the iat2's creeping up to like 130. I shut the car down and an hour or 2 later upon starting the iat2's are 145-150 at startup. If I don't cruise around a bit and sit in the staging lanes they remain higher. I was thinking allowing the intercooler pump to run when the car is cooling down it might help with recovery time.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
It runs full time when the car is on, but when the car is off is when I see the heat soak cause havok... for example, I make 4 passes and see the iat2's creeping up to like 130. I shut the car down and an hour or 2 later upon starting the iat2's are 145-150 at startup. If I don't cruise around a bit and sit in the staging lanes they remain higher. I was thinking allowing the intercooler pump to run when the car is cooling down it might help with recovery time.
The issue with running fluid through the I/C system without any airflow going through the HE, is.... there's no large benefit. Unless you have a fan on the HE....... My I/C pump will stay on with the key in the "on" position as long as I want. It's also will run up to 3-4 minutes after exiting the car if it's hot enough.

OP
OP
JasinEdward

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
The issue with running fluid through the I/C system without any airflow going through the HE, is.... there's no large benefit. Unless you have a fan on the HE....... My I/C pump will stay on with the key in the "on" position as long as I want. It's also will run up to 3-4 minutes after exiting the car if it's hot enough.
On my 2015 it seemed to as well.... this one appears to be off when the key is on but not running

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
There may be a much simpler way of wiring the fans to come on but this is what I did.
It looks technical on paper but at the end of the day, it’s as simple as grabbing the fan harness and a small section of the cars harness from a wrecked vehicle, disconnecting your existing plug and putting the wiring into 3 x relays with normally open and normally closed contacts. I added a switch under the dash to bring them on but the switch could be located anywhere.
I did it this way so it could be returned to stock easily in the event of a relay failure and no chance of introducing funky issues into the stock wiring.
Both fans operate at full speed.
FEF59F63-BA21-49BC-BAAC-1FB4F48E9DC9.jpeg
Sponsored